New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Palm Gallery Hotel

Palm Gallery Hotel
Ranked #17 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
London, United Kingdom
“Just what I was looking for...and more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

The Palm Gallery Hotel was just what I was looking for in Rome - small, charming, very friendly and incredibly good value. Luisa was all about providing the best service available and she and her staff could not have been more helpful or accommodating. Our welcome was warm and inviting which set the pace for our short 2 night stay. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to the very large 'panoramica' room with the 2 corner windows. I guess the view outside wasn't quite as beautiful as I had imagined but it was winter and still very nice. The room was stunning - clean, spacious and the bed was so comfortable. Loved the bathroom and the only gripe was that the towels were a little old looking and scratchy (just needed drying in the tumble dryer). Two of the breakfast highlights were the cappuccinos made with fresh milk from cows in the neighbouring mountains and the freshly squeezed orange juice. Luisa recommended a wonderful little Italian restaurant close by for dinner and it was so much better than the ones we tried in the centre of Rome. We felt welcome and were treated like one of the locals. Great wine selection too. The house and neighbourhood were very quiet and we did not have any noise issues whatsoever even though the villa is still being renovated. I love her style, energy and enthusiasm and will heartily recommend the hotel, especially in the low season, when we hope to go back again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jenny M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel twice during my trip to Italy. The first time in the "Panoramica" room for 180Euro per night and and the second time in the Large Double room for 150Euro per night. First, the second room was just as nice as the first. The website says that the Panoramica room has a lovely view - but unfortunately at only 4 storeys high, and where all the surrounding buildings are 4 storeys high, all I saw was a wall. Both rooms were spacious, beautifully furnished and the washrooms equally so. So no need to spend money on the upgrade.

Overall the hotel is very nice - though I would consider it more a B&B. The deck is nice to relax on for breakfast - which is offered with great variety and made to order (pancakes, eggs, etc.). The hotel is out of the way, and in a city where buying bus tickets can be difficult, it can get a little frustrating. It takes about a 30-40 minute brisk walk to get to the more lively parts of Rome. The service is incredible. They are so warm and gracious. Offer you free drinks, water bottles, maps, instructions - whatever you could need. I doubt you would find greater staff.

Some complaints: The tap water in my first room smelled horrid. Construction was underway on the property and started early. There was a school nearby and if you desperately needed a nap during the day (if you end up going out after dinner which finishes at 11pm) - the kids are noisy. Sound travels through the hotel like the walls do not exist. You can hear everything on the floor above and below as well.

Some tips:
For a truly authentic dining experience go to Pizzeria Bruto, very close by. Menus and waitresses in Italian only - but was some fun!
Also, if you can, pay with cash. I saved 27 Euro by paying cash for 3 nights!

Room Tip: Do not upgrade to "Panoramica" there is no view at 4 storeys.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank jules0010
Crawley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

I travelled to Rome with my niece in November 2011. It was a first trip there for both of us. From the minute we were picked up by the hotel transport ( definitely worth it as hotel outside centre of Rome) the experience was fantastic. The driver pointed out some of the sights on the drive and the weather was warm and sunny. The hotel is a converted house, I noticed a previous review stating that they could hear noise through the thin walls, we didn't have that problem. We had a very early flight out of Gatwick and therefore arrived early but we were allowed into room. Daniel greeted us and couldn't have been more helpful. He offered to cook us breakfast or said we could help ourselves, choice of break toast, jams etc. The room was beautiful, tastefully furnished, comfortable beds. The room was light with 2 huge window looking out onto the quiet street. It was incredibly relaxing and after a busy few days in Rome you need to come back to a peaceful haven. Daniel, member of staff, gave us all the info we needed, bus routes, best hotels to eat etc and told us which buses to catch and where to catch them. He really couldn't have been more charming and helpful. We were straight off into Rome, the most beautiful city I have ever been to. There are many restaurants in central Rome but after getting the bus back to the Palm Gallery we just wanted to go somewhere close and within walking distance. As it is a residential area it is so quiet which was just what we wanted but luckily there are a lot of family run restaurants within 5-10 mins walking distance, no tourists, just Italian families which we loved ( check the list that the hotel give you as we went to a very expensive fish restaurant on the first night and all we wanted was a plate of pasta, although it was a nice place).
When we got back from all our walking on the first night, and it was dark and we were exhausted, Louisa, the owner was at the front door to greet us. She was welcoming and asked us about our day and offered us a glass of wine on the terrace. The small terrace ( where we had breakfast each morning) was beautiful, surrrounded by fruit trees and sheltered from the breeze, we found so much time had gone into making the hotel into a totally relaxing experience. Vincenzo and Daniel were a real joy, they couldn't have been more friendly and helpful and caring, I have never been on a holiday where I didn't want to leave but I really didn't. I loved Rome, I loved The Palm Gallery and hopefully we will be back in the Spring. Thank you so much to all of you. It was the perfect weekend.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner room onto the front, it was a large room with 2 beds , 2 chairs and coffee ta...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Emma T
Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

Many wonderful reviews on this site. So here is my review. A bit out of the way. We chose to use the subway as the bus is a little adventurous for a short stay. About 20 min. walk to the subway station. A bit weary on the final walk home after walking around Rome all day. All the restaurants around are local place and by that I mean non-tourist hours. So if you arrive in the afternoon nothing will be open until 7:30 - 8:00PM, as in Rome, you know the rest.

Hotel is a renovated house. Rooms are very well done with nice classic furniture and a comfortable bed. Bathroom is clean, stylish, working towel radiator, gleaming and charming. Walls are thin. Door has padding on it presumably to block noise, but doesn't make a difference. You can literally join in the conversation of the neighboring room and hopefully they didn't hear us when our jet lag woke us at 3AM.

Only English channel available was the BBC news, not an uncommon experience in Europe.

Service was excellent. Breakfast was good. Nice meet and greet with good tourist information, good map reading skills are required.

It was a luxury guesthouse experience, old style backpackers will know what I mean, at 20 times the price.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
20 Thank Cam_6824
palmgallery, Proprietario at Palm Gallery Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2012
I appreciate all the opinions about my hotel and the experience that you had.
Anyway I need to precise that the subway station is at 1km (0,6 miles) and usually it takes 13 minutes . And most important, to reach it, you pass trough one of the bus stops close to the hotel (3 minutes) where you can catch a direct bus to the city center, Vatican, Colosseum, Termini station,...
All the Restaurants in Rome (also in the City center) are closed between lunch time and dinner time. Anyway it's always easy to eat a snack, salad,... Also in our area there are good places open all the day and at the Palm Gallery Hotel we serve drinks, snacks, bruschetta's, prosciutto, mozzarella, tomatoes,.....
Our area is very quiet, no traffic and no crowd. During the night it's totaly silent, that emphatizes even a low internal noise. The noise perception is something very individual,.... anyway it's difficult to hear the voice of next door guest.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

Prior to arriving in Rome, I had conversed with Luisa on numerous questions via email and she was always extremely responsive and helpful. She even helped me organise a restaurant on New Year's eve - the day we arrived in Rome.

On arrival, she greeted us warmly and organised some snacks and coffee as she gave us tons of information on what to do and see in Rome, and how to get around the city. This was such a wonderful welcome that made us completely at ease - this being our first time in Rome. That night, after dinner, she organised champagne and nibblies on the terrace rooftop as we celebrated the new year.

Every morning, she lays out a great breakfast that includes cereals, freshly baked bread and pastries, cooked eggs any way you like, coffee, juice, etc. This in many ways is so much better than nearly 80% of all hotels I have stayed in. For the new year's day breakfast, she even cooked up some special local italian dishes as our brunch. All in all great amazing, home cooked food for us all!

The hotel is very conveniently located just outside the city centre, plenty of good restaurants, a small supermarket nearby for groceries, and close to all types of buses. It is in a nice and safe residential neighbourhood, so gives you a nice feeling of living like a local.

The hotel itself is very safe, we left our laptops out on the desk all day while we were out. There is an in room safe which we kept our passports and valuables in.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough - it is very good value for money and much better than a cramped European hotel room. With the included cooked breakfast, and wonderful staff, what more can you ask for?

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family