“Great location, unprofessional staff, smelly rooms” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Nuit Bed & Breakfast

La Nuit Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #89 of 124 Sorrento B&B and Inns
New Jersey
“Great location, unprofessional staff, smelly rooms”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

I stayed at LaNuit Bed & Breakfast for almost 2 weeks while staying in Sorrento. We stayed at La Nuit because our friends were staying there. Upon arrival, I noticed La Nuit was located in a high rise building. I actually thought it was a regular apartment at first. It looks like they turned the apartment into a b&b. You open the main door, and there is a little reception area and doors to each of the rooms. There is no one at the reception area. I can't say if someone stays there when guests are supposed to arrive because, like I said before, my friends were already checked in and waiting for me.

The Good: The location is excellent. It's on Sorrento's main street and there are plenty of shops, restaurants and convenience stores around. We pretty much walked everywhere, and we always felt safe even at night.

The Neutral: I can't comment on the breakfast because I honestly never got up before noon to eat (jetlag). I probably would have attempted waking up early to try the breakfast if it was served at a more conveniently located place. The bar/restaurant where breakfast is served is on the main street, but you do have to walk about 5 minutes to get to it. Not a deal breaker for me since I stocked the refrigerator with fruits and snacks.

The Bad: We stayed in two different rooms. We first stayed in a regular room and then we stayed in the 1 bedroom/living room (with extra beds) apartment with a "kitchen".

The regular room wasn't too bad. Not a luxurious room, but it was comfortable and clean. It was definitely not as nice as the pictures they post (I think they were taken when they first redid the rooms), but it was nothing too terrible. The bathroom was large and clean. Like in many hotels I have stayed at, I saw a small towel hanging on the bathtub when we arrived. Normal, right? Well, I laid the towel on the floor so we could dry our feet coming out of the bathtub. Big no, no! My friends who originally set everything up for us to stay there said the owner complained that I used the towel as a rag! How unprofessional of the maid to actually complain to the owner that the guests were using the towels as rags! Well, no tip for her. Maybe they should travel around a little bit more to see that normal hotels actually put towels by the bathtub/shower for their guests to use!

When we switched to the apartment with the kitchen, things just went downhill from there. My first impression was the horrible odor in the room! I actually thought someone had urinated in the "living room" area where I was staying. It turned out it was a strong mildew odor. My friends who had the private bedroom had the same problem. We bought a lot of those car air fresheners and left the window open whenever we could to alleviate the odor problem.

The kitchen is actually located on the apartment's balcony. The setup is strange, but it was functional. We did prepare some quick meals in there. The coffee pot had mold and was very dirty, so we never attempted to make coffee in the room.

The bathroom wouldn't be so bad if the shower stall wasn't so small. The other private rooms actually have bigger bathrooms. It wouldn't have been that big of a deal because I expect the smaller shower stalls in Europe, but the door wasn't closing properly. The water didn't drain properly either. We had to be very careful not to splash the water around because the maid might yell at us for using towels to dry up the floor!

If you like your lines changed regularly, this is probably not a good place to stay either. My friend asked for clean towels and was told there was a charge for them. In a humid room with mildew, it was hard not to want the towels changed.

Overall, I was happy to leave and have to say I probably won't return to this place and will most definitely not recommend to anyone I know. I believe there has to be a better alternative around the area, which I plan to seek because I plan to return to Sorrento. Needless to say, we didn't tip the maid.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cardanu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
London England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2010

My wife and i have travelled all round the world and have relied on tripadvisor to steer us clear of bad hotels and B&B's and this was the first time these tactics have let us down!!! Be warned that I believe a lot of the reviews on trip advisor for this hotel are not true. They are giving la Nuit 5 out of 5 on all catergories which makes me a smell a rat. Even the best hotels on trip advisor do not get full marks!!!
So I advise all people considering a stay at this establishment to think twice. I will relate our experiences and keep it as brief as possible. A bit like all the good reviews they have had, whcih is another suspicious trait!!
We booked this hotel through lastminute.com who we have used on many occasions and the stay was fully paid for two months before our stay. When we got to La nuit we had the same trouble as the other people who had complained. This is part of a very dingy appartment complex with a very old lift and there only very tiny signs around. We was outside for a full 15 minutes before we made contact with someone over the security tannoy system after marching up to the door way on the third floor and getting no reply. it was another 15 minutes before a very young Italian lady turned up and explained they were not expecting us so there was no one there to greet us and let us in!!
She then explained that there had been a double booking but as we had booked for six nights the other person would be moved to another property!! poor person.
She then said that please could we have the money for the rent ready for the following day and this would have to be paid in cash. I double checked on my internet bank account that last minute had taken taken out the money for our stay and they had.
So I chose to ignor this request for the money and she did not ask again, but I read one of the previous reviews where the person had booked and paid with venere and they had arguements then. Be careful!
On our booking we was supposed to have a deluxe room which we did not get as they mucked up our booking. We got a small room with a balcony, and a small jacussi style bath. we also had a television and a fridge. There were ants all inside the cupboard that the fridge was boarded in. For the six days of our stay we had one change of towels.
There was never anyone there to advise and help us.
Breakfast was not given to us as you would expect in a B&B but was given a voucher to go half way down the main road to a modern bar that doubled up as a night club for a coffee, orange juice and a bun.
We were so disappointed and i am writing this account to prevent more people getting taken in by these people. There are many other things I could write, but I surmise that the owner will say it is all lies as in the other bad reviews.
On the last day we asked if we would be able to leave our luggage in the reception area until 3pm in the afternoon as we had a very late flight home from Naples at ten o clock at night. This was turned down and we were told that most people leave there luggage at the bar where we had breakfast. They must think us English are mad!!
We will be taking this further with Lastminute.
The only good point about this B&B is its location, but it is further down the road than they say.It is about 20 minutes walk from the train/bus station.
The Amalfi coast is a very beautiful part of Italy, but be careful how you enjoy your holiday here. It can be very expensive!! The worst offenders are the taxi drivers. We paid 25 euros for a taxi from Naples airport to the central staion in Naples whcih we learnt should have been 15 euros. they just turn off there meter or take a longer route.
Be careful in Naples as my wife nearly had a necklace ripped from her neck.
Be warned about all of this and most importantly do not stay at this B&B if you have any sense. Pay a little more and stay in one of the proper hotels as I wish we had done.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank mziton
helsinki
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

i have to say it was really a nice place, very gentle people and near everything. i recommended to everyone, really.
If you want to go sure go to La nuit bed and breakfast..there is all u need.
i know i will come back.
ciao from finland!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank beckham83
Kuopio, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

My girlfriend and I loved this place, the owner was friendly and gave us the right tips to make the most of our stay, very clean and comfortable, i felt like home although I was in another country

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Justfinland
Geneseo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2010

This B&B was amazing! It was clean, the staff was friendly and the location was GREAT! We really enjoyed staying here and will definitely recommend it to anyone we know going to Sorrento!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple