“cell block 11”
Review of Hotel Cavour

Hotel Cavour
Ranked #119 of 142 Sorrento B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 September 2015

Stayed for four nights courtesy of Mistral Tours as part of our (not cheap) holiday. To offer this to the paying public as a hotel of 3 star catergory is an absolute travesty. My partner and I (We are senior citizens) paid a around£1600 on two centre holiday. Rome and Sorrento. Rome went ok, then we arrived at the "Hotel Cavour" Our room had two very basic twin beds, accompanied by two iron frame bunk beds(reminiscent of Ronnie Barker in Porridge) shower where we had to squat in the bath to use as there was no curtain and wall bracket hanging off the wall. No drawer space so we did not unpack suitcases, just hung things on the bunk beds (they had some purpose). TV so high on the wall my partner could not reach it. Remotes u/s so we gave up, fortunate really as we had knowhere to sit. Food was awful, we tolerated it for a time then admitted
defeat and ate out. In their hotel brochure "Cavour" show bedrooms light,airy and with a good standard of furnishings, where these rooms is still a mystery , we never saw them, neither did any of our group. We served our four night term and with relief left. We will not return!!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 2015TTraces
There are newer reviews for Hotel Cavour

Reviewed 15 September 2015

Worst hotel I've ever stayed in.
Dog barking all day & night (no wonder. Poor thing was locked in a small enclosure all the time)
Food was awful,decor was horrendous.
If this hotel has undergone a renovation then I dread to think what it was like before!!!

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank aileeng151
Reviewed 9 July 2015

We have stayed at the Hotel Cavour twice now and both times it has been perfect for our school group visiting the area for a Geography Trip (Pompeii, Vesuvio, Solfatara, Capri, and Herculaneum etc) The rooms are basic but very clean and the food was great...especially the lemon cake! The view from the dining room of Vesuvius and Bay of Naples is simply stunning. The pool is a great way to wind down after a hot day out and our students loved it. Free wifi in the reception area was also very welcome. The staff were always very friendly to our students and treated the teachers extremely well! The hotel is located about a 15 minute walk into the main shopping area of Sorrento. Beautiful views of Sorrento and Vesuvius are evident during the walk into town. Not only will we return as a school group but I would definitely take my own family there. Thank you to all the staff and see you next July!

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Alison W
Reviewed 8 July 2015 via mobile

Not many members of staff spoke english. Rooms were extremely small with bunk beds where the top bunk didn't have have a ladder or anything to stop you falling out! On my bottom bunk looking up was burn marks, old dirty cotton wool pads and unidentified dirt. The bathroom was dirty and I even wore my flip-flops in the shower because it was so disgusting. The worst thing was the food- I stayed with lots of people and we skipped the meals because they were horrible! One night they served fish battered in omelette and another some sort of meat that one staff member said was ham and one said was chicken but tasted like sausage! I do not recommend this hotel unless it's last resort!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank lily99b
Reviewed 12 October 2014

You pay for what you get in life and this is no different. I stayed here for a week. Hotel and room was clean but very basic. Batteries in the air con unit didnt work, and the TV signal was weak to say the least. Apart from that a bed and a decent size cupboard for clothing was ok. If your planning to stay in your hotel room for any length of time this is not the hotel for you. However I used it was a bed only as in late at night and up early in the morning. Manage to get a good night's sleep.

Staff were friendly and were on hand to help. Only found the wi-fi code on last day as it was hidden on a pillar on reception.

The Hotel in general seems like it hasnt been updated since the 1970's. My friends stayed in more expensive hotels and there is a massive difference in quality.

I stayed as a single person, would I take my girlfriend there, probably not. But for value for money I would stay there again if on my own.

The walk into town is about 10/15 minutes depending on speed of walk, however there is no pavement for the first 5 minutes of the walk. Make sure you stay close to the hedge!!

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo