“One step up from a campsite”
Review of Hotel Cavour

Hotel Cavour
Ranked #123 of 143 Sorrento B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We booked this hotel last minute as it was available and cheap, thinking at least we had a base and were prepared to accept basic as long as it was clean. In over 15 years of working in the travel industry I have never experienced or even heard of a hotel so bad.

Let me start with the positives firstly though. The hotel is in a good location, its just on the hill leading out of Sorrento, if you know the area its just past the hotel Bristol. It takes approx 10 mins tops to walk into town and its right on the local bus route. The staff are also mostly very friendly.

Apart from that I have no positive things to say unfortunatley. The hotel has not seen any modernisation since at least the 1980`s, and I second the previously ladys review when she says the owner replies to every review on here saying "all problems have been solved", as they have not. The owner doesnt even speak English, neither do most of the staff. The hotel is in a bad state of repair. Phonelines not connected in rooms or even phones in reception. We had to change rooms and in both rooms there were three plug points. Only the bathroom ones worked. Our first room had a broken window shutter so we had no light in the room, a broken door handle and the shower leaked and flooded the whole room not just the bathroom. When we asked reception to change rooms they said not possible as hotel was full. They would get problems repaired. They were never repaired, after throwing my toys out of the pram for a second time we were given a room change. Hotel layout means reception is on top floor and then rooms go down to four floors underneath. Most rooms over look a wall and only rooms on 1st and 2nd floors have balconies, as such. Every room has a double bed or two singles AND bunkbeds! All the floors are tiled so expect lots of noise as everything echo`s. House next door to hotel has a dog that barks all hours of the day and night and a cockrel that starts at 4.30am every morning.
In our second room we had no shower curtain so floor got soaked everytime we showered, and we had the strangest view from out room. ( I have added photos of this). Rooms were cleaned everyday, when I say cleaned they made the bed and changed towels and sprayed air freshner around.
The hotel was full of American students on a trip around Italy. They left after three days then a touring party of Italian pensioners arrived. Then on our last night another group of American students arrived at 2am. This is all the hotel is concerned about. Any other bookings are an inconvenience. The dining room has the potential to be amazing with its view overlooking the bay of Naples but the service and food is a total let down. We were not expecting much, but I think hot food is a basic necessity. The menu was a set menu and more or less the same everyday. Veg soup, tomato pasta, chicken with salad and a piece of fruit. Everynight it was cold or luke warm. If you didnt like any of that there was no alternative. We ate out after the second night for the rest of the week and were given the third degree by the head waiter as to where we ate and why! Staff in the dining room were comical, it was seriously like faulty towers, head waiter was lazy and seemed to bully rest of staff. Breakfast consisted of a bread roll and croissant every morning, nothing else. Luke warm coffee, depending on which member of staff you asked you might get a hot coffee or a tea if lucky. Highlight of the week was when the head waiter and the Chef had a massive screaming match in the middle of the dining room in front of everyone.

The hotel has a pool area which with a bit of effort could be lovely. There are no sunbeds only plastic chairs and the pool was not cleaned at all the whole week we were there. It looked as if it hadnt been cleaned for a long while. Nobody used it at all.

To sum it all up do not be tempted by any amazing half board offers on internet sites. This hotel is for groups of students and touring partys who use it as somewhere to shower and sleep. Its noisy, in a bad state of repair the food is awful and I know for a fact no British tour operator would even consider using it. If I had been on a school trip it would have been acceptable but I really wish I had booked the local hostel as that looked like a 5 star resort compared to The Cavour. Sorrento is a beautiful place if you have never visited before dont stay at this hotel. During my stay I chatted to some locals who thought we were insane for staying there. Says it all really. In todays day and age there is absolutley no excuse for any hotel to operate in this manner.

Room Tip: Request a room on either the 1st or 2nd floor and with a balcony, this should cut out some of the no...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank chewy110

Reviewed 11 September 2011

Even animals live in better conditions !! And Hotel Cavour, please don´t answer to this comment with a comment "all problems have been solved", cause there has been no changes.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NamelessfromEstonia
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I spent about 10 days here last August. It is a very basic hotel....I don't think the bar was ever open,no phone or public computer.The water pressure was weak and there was no air in my room. Now the reasons I would probaly stay there again......most of the staff was nice and made an effort to help me when they could,my room was clean,no air but I could open my window and get a breeze, short walk to town and I paid under 50 e and that included a bare breakfast.....but a very enjoyable dinner time meal. One of the things I liked best is that when I stayed there the place was full of Italian families on holiday......

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 July 2010

The staff at Hotel Cavour have gone above and beyond for the past year accommodating my group of over 100 students. Dinner, AC and breakfast are all included! The owner Salvatore is a great man who is always willing to work with our groups to keep our company and clients!

Thank you Hotel Cavour!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 December 2009

We paid 80 Euros per night to save money and because of its proximity to the train station. The hotel is filthy and smells bad. Also, I did not feel it was a safe environment as the doors and locks are cheap and flimsy. The staff is uninterested in assisting anyone, but the morning breakfast staff entertained us by having a full out 10 minute argument in front of everyone.

I would rather have paid more and stayed at a cleaner safer hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
CavourSorrento, Proprietario at Hotel Cavour, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2010

Dear Sir/Madam,

all problems have been solved, thank you for your review, we hope to see you soon!

HOTEL CAVOUR