“O what a place!”
Review of Villa Monica B&B

Villa Monica B&B
Ranked #3 of 142 Sorrento B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I don't know how to describe a place that is so very awesome. I could try but then when you throw in the awesome(r) host it becomes all the more difficult er... impossible. But I shall try and for that I have broken my review down into the following heads:

A. The rooms and the view
When I was looking at the place my primary concern was how good the the view would be. It is spectacular to say the least! Villa Monica only has a limited few rooms and they all have the same view, so you don't have to worry that you are taking a room when a better alternative is available at the same price. The rooms are comfortable and more importantly really clean. The bathrooms are convenient and has all the amenities. The morning breakfast served here is sumptuous.

B. The distance from City Center
It was a huge concern for us that we would be away from the city center, but Pasquale (Mr. Awesome Host) makes that trip better than your trip would be to a B&B or a hotel in the city center. He is around to pick you and drop off and a very convenient set of multiple timings for the service is available. So let this not be a concern for you because staying at city center would essentially mean you miss out on the breathtaking views from uphill, which is essentially what a stay at Sorrento for us entailed. The choice was a difficult one but we are really glad to have made it.

C. Sorrento and around
We drove up to Ravello on the SS163, something that my boyfriend and I had wanted to do on our trip to Amalfi. This is one of the many things one could do here. There are treks or trips to Capri that one can choose from. Yet again Pasquale is the best man to go to for any information on any of these options.

So if you are looking to go to Sorrento this is the only place you should consider staying at.

I would also like to take the opportunity to thank Pasquale for every bit of the lovely host that he was to us. He knows Sorrento and the surroundings in and out and he is never overbearing in his suggestions. He really does go out of his way to help and I really mean out of the way. Thank you so much Pasquale, Madhu and I can't thank you enough and we look forward to being back soon.

Room Tip: All the rooms at Villa Monica have the same view so honestly you are not missing out on anything in...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anwesha H
There are newer reviews for Villa Monica B&B

Reviewed 7 January 2012

I have a hard time believing that another location in Sorrento was higher rated than Villa Monica. We arrived after spending three weeks exploring Italy, from Venice and Pisa, to Florence, to Umbria, to Rome and finally south to Sorrento. We spent the last 4 nights with Pasquale and it was spectacular. I was somewhat hampered by a back pain that prevented me from doing much walking, still it was the highlight of our trip. Pasquale is a fantastic host, who will drop whatever he is doing to show you Sorrento, take you to a restaurant, suggest a shopping excursion, or just sit and talk over an espresso served on the veranda overlooking Sorrento, Naples and the bay in between. He operates only three rooms, each with a spectacular view of the town and bay, so don't wait until the last minute to make your reservations. Also, like most businesses in Italy, he gets hit with high credit card fees and requests that you settle your bill in Euros. One last piece of advice, if you try and find Villa Monica after sunset, you will fail. It is at the highest point overlooking Sorrento, on a dirt road that is barely wide enough for a burro. I managed to get within 100 yards before saying that he would never be any higher and I retreated and called on my cell phone. He laughed and said I was his "hero" for even attempting to drive up that road without him.

Room Tip: There are NO bad rooms. Just remember, there are only three, so don't procrastinate.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank upchucked
Reviewed 5 January 2012

All the previous reviews are spot on with their comments, so I will only highlight some of the main points that I took into account when deciding to book a stay at Villa Monica:

1. The view is spectacular and can not be beat by another location in Sorrento. If for no other reason to stay here, this is it.

2. If you do not have a car, do not worry in the least bit. Pasquale has a set schedule where we will either taxi you from the B&B into town or vice versa. The times are very generous and you will never encounter any problems getting to and from.

3. The rooms are very comfortable and homey. You will definitely feel at home and will be able to relax as such.

4. Pasquale is such an incredible host, he will ensure your time at the Villa Monica is one of your main highlights/memories from your trip. Truly a genuine person who cares about his patrons and goes above and beyond to ensure their stay is exceptional. Enough can not be said about Pasquale.

I have traveled extensively and I can say without hesitation that Villa Monica is one of the most memorable places I have ever stayed. A very big thank you to Pasquale for EVERYTHING!!! Looking forward to next time.

Room Tip: All rooms have a perfect view, you can not go wrong with your room selection.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Born2Travel76
Reviewed 30 December 2011

My son and I stayed at Villa Monica for three nights. In this review I will cover the location, the room, the breakfast, the hospitality and our overall impression.
However before I go on I really feel that everyone should go to Sorrento and stay at Villa Monica as it’s a destination worthy in its own right. I have travelled a lot, on this trip alone we covered Rome, down to Sicily and then up through Umbria, Emilia-Romagna and into the Tyrol (for skiing). Villa Monica was a high point for many reasons, explained below. However the most significant are almost intangible. The wonderful humour that Pasquale infused, the welcome that we received, the attention to detail that we appreciated, the advice that was personalised for us and the care he took to ensure that we were happy, safe and cared for while at Villa Monica. Villa Monica and Pasquale is what a superb Bed and Breakfast should be.
Location is everything and Villa Monica has it. You just have to reach it. My advice is, when you get to Sorrento, call Pasquale to pick you up or give you further advice. However when you get to the villa the view is amazing you can see the entire bay from your room and all the way to Vesuvius (on a clear day).
Our room was wonderful with far more than we expected. Complete with slippers, bath robes, comfortable beds and balcony with the most amazing view.
Pasquale is up early ready to welcome you for breakfast. The breakfast table is complete with fresh local produce including buns, cheeses, hams, fruits and cakes. There is far more then you could eat, but that won’t stop you from trying everything. Pasquale is there to make sure you have a good day planned and that you have the best coffee to compliment your breakfast and start your day.
Of all the Bed and Breakfasts we stayed in during our holiday Villa Monica stands out because of the personal attention to detail. This extended down to the smallest details. An example is, I left my diamond earrings on the dresser when we left (they were small and we were travelling). Pasquale reassured me that they would be safe and ensured they were safely packed and posted home to me. I was happy to welcome them home on my arrival back.
In summary Villa Monica is a treasure and worth the climb up the mountain.

Room Tip: They are all good.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Gabbi_from_OZ
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Over the years, we have traveled to France, Spain, Greece, and other parts of Italy and frequently to South America and differents states here in America, but we have fallen in love with Sorrento and in Sorrento, with Villa Monica.
Each detail was taken care of in Villa Monica. The bedrooms were always clean, the bathroom complete of things for the guest's confort and we don't want to forget the confort of the living room area and the service of the morning breakfast.
Two things we are never going to forget are the magnificent view of the ocean, (Sorrento and other beautiful places that our eyes where able to reach from our bedroom balcony, due to the extraordinary high location of Villa Monica) and the personal atention provided by Pasquale, the owner and manager of Villa Monica. His cordiality, his sense of humor, his well programmed schedule to bring the guests back and forth to sorrento, ( approximately every two hours), made the difference to our pleasant stay at Villa Monica, in relation to other hotel and B&B that we have been in our travels.
Pasquale, what a great guy !, We always remember when He used to asked to his guests: "are you happy ? ". Our answer is, yes, we are happy to have had the opportunity to meet him and enjoy our stay at Sorrento and in particular at Villa Monica.
We wish him and his family the best.

Juan & Dora Elissetche