“Good experience”
Review of Hotel Capri

Hotel Capri
Ranked #52 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 17 September 2011

We heard lots of bad comments about staying at Capri but we found it to be wonderful. The staff was great and very helpful. The only negative we can add is that when the owners arrived back, the situation changed. Staff was more tense and guests were watched not to bring anything in from the outside shops. Water and snacks had to be bought from the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the road side was never noisy
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Capri

Reviewed 26 August 2011

Just back from a week in Sorrento. Stayed in Hotel Capri half board (dont think they offer B&B??). Trip was not cheap. Hotel reception/dining area just been refurbed and very clinical... clean, white, nice flower arrangements etc but no atmosphere whatsoever. Rooms, ours overlooked the side road/church so no balcony but not an issue as didnt spend much time in it. Room was fairly small, basic but clean and shower/bathroom facilities were adequate. Room was cleaned/beds made/fresh towels in bathroom every day which was good. The pool area was nice albeit small. No issue with sunbeds etc. Nice garden area too with comfortable furniture in the shade. Pool bar/snacks available at reasonable enough prices (not overly priced and girls at pool bar area very pleasant). It seemed an older italian woman was in charge and would sit on the sunbeds in the afternoon and if she saw something she didnt like, she would call one of the staff on her mobile and they would come out and "tell off" whoever necessary!!! Be warned, if you dare to even drink a bottle of water by the pool not bought in the hotel, they will come and tell you to remove it immediately!!!! Food....... well where do I start..... I thought I was going to be spoilt in Italy with all the good food on offer.... well definitely not in this hotel. Breakfast was ok... regular toast, ham, cheese, tomatoes, pastries, occassional boiled egg available, coffee out of machines (not great) but you can live with it. You have to choose your evening at breakfast time (not ideal) from a menu that is left on your breakfast table. You have the same table for the duration of your stay.... you cant just sit anywhere!!! Evening meals... what can I say... very very basic. I ordered tuna one evening thinking it would be a fresh tuna steak... turned out to be a plate of sliced tomatoes with a TIN of tuna slapped in the middle... great dog food but not for human consumption. Daughter had prawns which were undercooked and when I asked about it I was told "that is the sauce"!!!! So needless to say, we didnt eat there again the evenings. If your not a fussy eater then you will be fine but I think anyone with half a decent palate will not be impressed. I got the impression that eveything was "Forbidden" - there seemed to be notices up to say you cant do this or that... nothing welcoming even in the booklet in the hotel room, it just stated what you cant do!!! Nothing about the hotel facilities/what additional services it has to offer etc. Overall: good location, nice pool area, clean. Terrible food, no atmosphere, there is a bar there I believe but never saw anybody at it in the evenings after dinner for a drink as there was nothing inviting about it. Would not stay in this hotel again.

2  Thank MCR2011
Reviewed 18 August 2011

My daughter (15) and I stayed here for a week. Had read previous reviews so wasn't expecting luxury but at the price willing to give it a go. We ended up having a fabulous time. Booked a twin, got a room with three single beds, overlooking the street. It was more than adequate and though not really a blacony, we could look out on Italy and watch all the scooters and people go by. Once the windows were closed you could hardly hear anything, so very pleased. Slept comfortably and well. Had taken a travel kettle as had already read there are no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Glad I did. The bathroom was fine. Shower was very small and so if you're a bit on the chunky size you would struggle. Plenty electric sockets, so again, don't know why I read that this was a problem. Maybe the room?The housekeeping was good. Breakfast was the usual med. fare of cold meats and fruit, but it was fresh and set us up for the day. Very odd though, having booked half board, to have to order what you wanted for dinner at breakfast time. The restaurant is actually lovely so maybe they should think of expanding their meal menus? The lounge/bar is also nice, very cool. We ate there a couple of times, including a 'Gala Night'. The latter was good fun maybe because it was so strangel. There was a 5 course meal and a lovely little Italian singer on electronic keyboard who sang the night away. Lights kept going off but it just added to the atmosphere and we were glad we went. The staff were nice, not sure why I've read elsewhere that they were unhelpful as we certainly found them friendly and always helped when asked. The 2 waiters were hilarious, in a dry humour sort of way. The pool was small but clean, the loungers good and the small garden lovely. All in all a cheap hotel smack in the centre of one of the lovliest cities in Europe at a very good price. What more could you want? We would go back unless I inherit money in which case I would choose somewhere with a better dinner menu...

Room Tip: Rooms ove looking pool have balconies. Rooms overlooking street, tiny balcony. Others = no balcony
2  Thank Langhame
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We booked this hotel earlier in the year and when I read the reviews of it after I had booked, was really worried that we had made a mistake. It was such a lovely surprise to find on our arrival that the hotel was absolutely wonderful. The staff were very helpful and friendly, it had a friendly atmosphere - all the guests spoke to each other. Food was fine - depends what you want really - every morning we were given a choice of 3 meals for the evening meal and I must say there wasn't anything I found unpalatable! If you want 5 star food and accommodation, book a 5 star hotel! It was extremely clean and so central to everything - the train station is around the corner and to get to Pompeii for two of us it cost 8.40 euros. You can also get the bus outside the train station to go to Amalfi. I would certainly go there again but would opt for bed and breakfast as there are so many places to eat in Sorrento.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Working in the travel industry I have seen all grades of hotels. I booked a weeks stay at the Capri after a hotel inspection in July. Plus points - fantastic location, near to everything but not choked by noise, lovely pool area with garden area to chill out, staff extremely helpful, especially the restaurant staff when nothing was too much trouble. The food as some reviewers have said is poor - I would like to say this is very unfair, and that the reviewers can't have travelled much, as earlier in the year I stayed at a 5* Deluxe and the food was less than comparable - coupled with the staffs passion to please you it excelled. Let's get real - this is a small 3 star, offering great service, lovely pool area, acceptable food - they are catering for large sittings - if you want better PAY for it!!!
The rooms are not small, as others have said. Just make sure you know what kind of room type you are paying for - Citalia only have pool view and balcony or street view and balcony, but other operators have rooms with no balcony or outside view at all, so not the hotel's fault. The down sides - depending on what staff member you have at the pool side bar will decide whether you are told not to drink your own water in public places! A bit extreme. The pizza's served at the pool are good, but don't even think about ordering a club sandwich, its 2 slices of stale bread with sandwich spread! For 5 euros!!!
But they held a Gala Dinner night when we were there which was very sweet. They took the tables and chairs outside and dressed them really well. We had 5 courses as opposed to the normal 3 for no extra charge and we had a local singer during the evening. It was a very nice gesture. The hotel is being refurbished in a very contemporary way throughout the winter months, and I hope they don't hike the prices up because I will definately be coming back!

3  Thank jewel100