“Old fashion and elegant”
Review of Cafe Gijon

Cafe Gijon
Reserve with
Cafe Gijon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9,421 of 12,874 Restaurants in Madrid
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Barrio Salamanca
Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

Very elegant cafe , I just passed by for a quick cappuccino and I liked it. Very close to recoletes station, friendly staff.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

The intellectual in you forces you to have a cup of coffee at least at Cafe GGijon. Ortega y Gasset used to hold court here. Hemingway actually drank coffee here although it wasn't one of his drinking spots. In the summer there is an "annex" of the restaurant in the middle of the paseo but I like a window table in the main restaurant. The food is Mediterranean and excellent.

Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

Great food, great service, great romantic setting!! Outside chairs VERY uncomfortable for people of size :/

Reviewed 6 July 2017

At first, don't expect the waiters treat you as in the US, people in Madrid are not wired like that, when I arrived the waiter seem cold and distant, I started to chat with him, and still he was very serious and he got me the beer I orderes, but then, he brought sample of pinchos that I never ordered (I thought he was going to charged them, he didn't). The pinchos were awesome, he brought croquetas, morcilla (blood) with rice and a tyoe of chorizo, they were delicious.. and then he got me the main dish that was rabo de toro (bull tail) and was great... as time went by, the waiter started to be friendly and helpful, by the end of my dinner... he chat about other spanish cities, Spanish people, food and tourists.... overall.. everything was great, the meal, the service and the historic place... loved the place, and there were a lot of people on the terrace just in front of the main restaurant, with a piano player and great ambiance!!

Reviewed 8 June 2017

My wife and I had lunch at this historical place with a couple of good friends that were visiting Madrid. We thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful spring weather while sharing very tasty traditional Spanish "tapas": Food was good, service was cordial and prices were reasonable. I would recommend this restaurant.