“Bathroom Smells Like an Ash Tray”
Review of Room Mate Oscar

Room Mate Oscar
Ranked #55 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 9 March 2012

The only thing positive about this hotel is the location. It is a few blocks from the Gran Via and about 15-20 minutes walk from Plaza de Espana. The photos of the rooms on the hotel website are very misleading. They depict a clean hotel room, not the tired smelly rooms that are actually available. The furniture was dirt stained, dusty and had many burn marks. The bathroom (toilet) smelled like an ash tray. As a non-smoker, I was thoroughly disgusted! I was so turned off by the room that I slept in my clothes as I did not want my skin to touch their bed. I felt as if I were in a hostel. This hotel is more like a slum. The lobby looks great but the rooms are horrible! It’s not a good feeling to have knowing that you would like to cancel your stay when it has already been prepaid. Needless to say, I will NEVER return to this hotel or any of their sister hotels nor will I EVER recommend it.

Room Tip: Book Another Hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank travelnistaAtl
roommateoscar, General Manager at Room Mate Oscar, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time in sharing your thoughts of your stay at Room Mate Oscar. We take note of your comments in order to improve every detail you mention.

For the other hand I am writing to you to express my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay regarding the room. I fully understand your disappointment. At the moment, this room has been repaired by maintenance department.

I deeply regret you didn’t enjoy your stay in Oscar and your bad impression on us. I hope you will trust again in Room Mate Hotels, and therefore see this as a one-time mistake/experience.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any future stays at Room Mate Hotels in order for us to find the hotel which best suits your needs.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 29 February 2012

I stayed 1 night at this hotel. The best of it is the location, very close to Gran Via metro station and is a back yard with a nice plaza in front. The hotel is very modern but you see easily the cheap materials that was used. It looks like an hotel sponsored by Ikea!
The shower was a disater, almost impossible to control the hot water. I end up cutting my finger on a metal part of it. Then despite having read signs of non smoking hotel, my room (superior one) had a horrible smell from smoking.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
roommateoscar, General Manager at Room Mate Oscar, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear guest,

Reviewed 25 February 2012

I just checked out of the hotel and Gosh, what a nice stay!
The hotel is just off Gran Via, the main street in downtown Madrid. In the Chueca area (the gay neighbourhood), close to ALL the main atractions of the city and even closer to all the gay clubs and bars.
Hundreds (literally) of bars and restaurants in a 5 block radius
The outside of the hotel is sleek and modern
Check in was a breeze, it took me no time at all and the staff was friendly and with a smile.
My room was a junior suite. Amazing, The picture does not show the size nor the real style of the place, it was a very stylish decor with nice amenities.
They allowed me late check out free of charge (2 pm)
Check out was also fast.
Downside only; the curtains let light into the room.
Ups; EVERYTHING ELSE

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the time taken to give us your comments regarding your last stay at Room Mate Oscar.

We take note of your comments in order to improve every detail you mention. We are definitely very lucky to have such a regular and demanding guest to help us improve ourselves constantly.

Please do not hesitate to contact me in order to make your future reservation or if I can be of any further assistance to you.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

My room was filled with very funky pink furniture that fits no description and was very impressive.
The hotel is not super-luxurious but is very different, good quality, at reasonable prices.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business