“Good stay and price”

Ranked #32 of 276 Madrid B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Good stay and price”
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I came to Hostal Luz twice in my stay in madrid. The hotel was really clean, smelled nice and the room was warm. I stayed in the ensuite room the first stay and the shared bathroom in the second. It was the best location- close to everything. The opera, puerta de sol, the metro, etc. Also, it came with free breakfast at a cafe close by. All in all, great price and value for my budget and needs.
I recommend staying in the ensuite as you don´t have to share the bathroom and request a quite room away from the front. Also, bear in mind that you have to look up to find the hotel and it´s on the 3rd floor and the inkeeper primarily speaks spanish- so it would be helpful to brush up on it. Other than that great for a stay in madrid.

Room Tip: Get an Ensuite room
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Weston, Connecticut
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I paid 59 Euros to stay here for a night, which was 15% off the normal rate. I didn't do exhaustive research on other area hotels, but that seemed a little high for a hostal.

The location of the hostal is great. Only a short 2-minute walk from the Opera Metro Station. I had a little trouble locating it - look for the yellow "Hostal Luz" sign sticking out of the third floor window. There is a lack of signage, but eventually I rang the correct doorbell on the third floor. I didn't realize that the women at reception don't speak english, so I'm glad that I know enough spanish to get by. I feel like if you don't know any spanish, staying at this hostal might be difficult.

We stayed in a room right next to reception. It was clean and entirely adequate, but definitely had more of a hostal rather than hotel feel (the bedspreads were pink and purple and looked like they came from a 10 year old girl's room). We didn't use the television, so I can't speak to that, but there was a nice flat screen in the room. Our room had an attached bathroom with great water pressure and plenty of warm water. I was also pleasantly surprised that the hostal included toiletries. The towels were very large and fluffy.

The included breakfast was at a restaurant in the Opera plaza, but consisted only of a croissant and tea/coffee. It was perfectly lovely, but not a very hearty breakfast. Breakfast is served from 8-12pm which is a pretty large window.

The location is great. It is so easy to walk to the major downtown sights of a Madrid. All are within an easy 15 minute walk.

The ladies at reception were very very nice, and did their best to tell me about Madrid to maximize my short stay. They showed me where to go in Madrid, and informed me of the free night from 6-8pm at the Prado, which I really appreciated. Of course, these conversations were all in spanish.

Overall it was very nice. I would definitely recommend it and would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I stayed here for a night because my reservation was messed up. I made my reservation on line and just wrote down my confirmation number since I don't have access to the printer. The small woman at the front desk insisted for my print out reservation. I insisted I have the confirmation number. We went back and forth (maybe it has something to do with language barrier) but it just ruined my day.

The room was clean and air conditioned. It was in the center of everything. I like the location, the room, the cleanliness, but there was no warmth in this place having just stayed in a B&B that treated me warmly.

Room Tip: There's a restaurant just below that serves hamburger. They open at around 9pm
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Venust
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We tried to stay at Hostal Luz and had a major problem checking into the hotel. My wife arrived and tried to check in. The hotel refused to speak with her in English (okay maybe our issue) and only told her she could not stay at the hotel. So after this issue, I had a spanish friend speak directly to the hotel via mobile phone and they still would not allow us to check-in and continued to talk about some isues that my friend did not understand. Ultimatley they hung up the phone and would not talk anymore to us. After all the issues my wife was so upset that we stayed somewhere else for the evening.

I tried to contract the hotel via email multiple times. They never responsed to any of my emails and they only to the Booking.com charge stating that we choose to leave so we would still be billed.

I don't understand why the could not have at least responsed to my emails and explained the situation.

Regards,

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TopFrequentTraveler
Gibsons, B. C., Canada
Reviewed 30 October 2011

The Hostal Luz was the great find of my European trip. It is only a minute or two to the Opera subway stop, and a 5 min. walk to the breathtaking Palacio Real. Just as close is the Puerto del Sol plaza and metro, with the Plaza Major a few minutes more away. I even walked to the Prado.

The Hostal Luz is run by the very friendly Margarita. Her English is minimal, as is my Spanish, but she managed to communicate to me everything I needed to know, including recommending some good nearby restaurants.

My room was perfectly clean, and on the courtyard, as I had asked. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom modern and fully functional. The cleaning ladies were just as friendly as Margarita, and the computer room was fabulous!

As long as you have the address with you, and remember to look up to see the sign, you should not have a problem finding the place. Check out the photos on Trip Advisor, and you can see the actual sign, so you will know what you are looking for.

This was great accommodation for a very reasonable price, and you can't beat that! I will definitely stay here on my next trip to Madrid.

Room Tip: If you need silence in order to sleep, ask for a room on the courtyard rather than facing the street...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo