“Unprofessional hotel in all aspects”
Review of Hotel Abalu

Hotel Abalu
Ranked #315 of 443 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 5 August 2015

I only booked this hotel because I was in a hurry. I booked one of their apartments for six people

First of all, they say they have Wifi but it doesnt work, and I called them to fix it and they keep saying they will but they didnt during my 5 nights stay. Whatever I asked for in room was not supplied (Shampoo, extra blankets etc..)

When checking out they said that the sofa was dirty and needs cleaning. They charged 75 euros for that and I accepted. Two months later they deducted 550 euros saying that they had to buy new sofa!! becuase they were not satisfied with the cleaning results, even though they told me before it would not cost them more than 100-200 euros maximum! which was already too much for small discoloration

They also say there is a Jacuzzi in the hotel, it turned out there isnt, it is only in some rooms and not a hotel facility

Its also extremely noisy at night with so many people partying and shouting all night every night

My advice, Madrid has many great hotels with wonderful people, please do not book this hotel unless you had to sleep on the street!

Room Tip: Stay away thats all I say
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank mfs999

Reviewed 22 July 2015 via mobile

My family and I stayed here (in a termed 'presidential suite' but a basic 1 bedroom apartment) for 4 days in late June, early July. The location was great, within walking distance of many of the main plazas and sight-seeing tourist spots, with a few, good close tapas bars / restaurants. The staff were friendly and as accommodating as they could be with a pretty good knowledge of the area. The room / apartment had a fridge, oven etc. but for an apartment it was not very well-equipped with cooking utensils or cutlery. There is no salt / pepper or coffee pot to speak of which is a little strange for something in that price range. A bar of soap and shampoo concluded the useful bathroom amenities. Although decorated very funky, I think there are better accommodations in Madrid, for better value. They did advertise 'tempurpedic beds', but certainly not like the ones I am used to in North America...these beds had no memory foam and were incredibly hard / firm. I think next time we would stay closer to the Prado and Thyssen Museums...beautiful area, and still close to main main sights, with more restaurants to choose from.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2015 via mobile

The hotel is in a good area, being just a 5 minute walk from Gran Via. There are plenty of trendy bars on the same street and a few mini supermarkets.
When we arrived at the hotel we weren't given any information about the hotel, the room or even a local map which I found strange.
We stayed in room 101 which had a balcony (that couldn't be used due to there being an air conditioning unit on it!)
the room was pretty small, the toilet offered no privacy at all! There were sliding doors seperating the shower room from the main bed room but they didn't close properly and kept coming off the track.

There was a Tassimo coffee maker but no instructions on how to use it and when I did get some instructions from Youtube the machine still didn't work.
There was no English TV channels, but we did find a couple of radio and music tv channels.
The bed was comfortable, there was a decent sized wardrobe, a safe and a hair dryer provided. The shower was very powerful which was great. Not a lot of sockets available to charge phones and plug straighteners in though.
On the whole we enjoyed our stay but think the hotel could do with a few tweaks here and there to bring it up to a better standard. For the price we payed we could have had a hotel with a pool etc.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2015

Unfortunately Hotel Abalu in Malasana is not worth of money. Location is very good, Malasana is one of the most interesting areas in Madrid. Staff was nice and helpful but after that many buts...Abalu is not four star hotel, I would say something between two and three.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Merete10
habal, Director General at Hotel Abalu, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2015

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for the comment. Nonetheless, we would really appreciate if you could let us know what aspects we can improve. Moreover, please, always let us know if there is something wrong. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations and could not solve your problems on time. Hope you would come back sometime. Please, contact us directly and let us know what you need. You know, every rooms is diffrenent. We are sure we have something that will meet your needs.

Kind regards,

Abalu Team

Reviewed 4 April 2015 via mobile

Great Location
If you want to experience the young, funky, vibrant Madrid, then this is right in the heart of where you should be. The bars on this street are crammed full at night. The many local cafe's and boutiques are full of quirky personality during the day. All this just on the doorstep of the hotel.

Designer Style
Nothing bland about the decor here. Full - on visual treat for those with an eye for the offbeat and unusual. Not slick, new and perfect, but clearly a place that someone has carefully designed at some stage, and spent money on thoughtfully. Eg Nespresso machine and capsules.

Squished
This is a "compact" hotel. Our "suite" was one room with everything crammed in. Clever, but squished: a beautiful egg - shaped bath at the foot of our bed; the cord for a screen (for DVDs to be projected from an Apple thing) dangling above; the toilet encased in a frosted glass box in the corner. A multimedia TV with baffling array of options that frustrated more than pleased me (I gave up, but then I am the pre-digital generation away from the nimble thumbs of my kids). And our room was internal: which made it very quiet (its a social area so I expect there is street noise at night) but also very dark (one small window and insufficient lighting to read). There was a slight smell of cigarette smoke (presumably from the courtyard). I can see why some people would hate it and others like it. We found it OK, but not somewhere we wanted to spend much time.

Commercial
This felt like dealing with a business. I know it is a business, but some hotels manage to hide this and when on holiday I prefer to not feel like it's business.

In our case the things that (in my view, unnecessarily) underlined the commercial
aspects of our stay were: putting a hold on bank funds for our whole stay for a month ahead of our visit (despite the cancellation policy being 48 hours notice); and offering an 8% discount for cash payment which was then disputed quite vigorously at checkout, only resolved by reviewing the booking emails (which I happened to have on my smartphone) and then (afterwards) discovering that the discount actually given after proving my case, was only 5% (silly me for not checking their calculations). I wouldn't now want to go back.

The staff were helpful and tried their best to make our stay good (eg. helping us pick up concert tickets). It was Valentines day and they unexpectedly put a little bottle of bubbly in the room with a rose and two chocolates, which was a lovely gesture.

They have a cafe built-in to the downstairs if you want breakfast. But there are so many other places nearby. ..

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank TimNG

Dear Tim,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking your time to write us such a valuable comment, both positive and negative aspects. We appreciate both as they will help us improve and adapt better to our guests requests and needs. We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed so much the authentic madrilenian atmosphere in our neighbourhood.
We are really sorry about the incident you experienced at checking out. We are going tothoroughly revise the cash rate we offer so it corresponds to what is said on the booking confirmation form. Regarding the preauthorization process, it is a hotels´policy to ensure the money is there, but it is just a check, we do not hold the money or charge in advance. Finally, we really appreciate all the comments and we are glad you had an overall positive Valentine`s Day. Hope to welcome you back sometime and experience our aparta-suites, which are confier.

Please, receive kind regards,