See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 July 2016

While on convention, we stayed in four hotels, this was the second of the four and by far THE WORST! Let's begin with the fact that if you're arriving with suitcases, its two flights of stairs with no elevator. There isn't necessarily someone at reception and they gave us only one key. One day my roommate came sooner and I stood outside ringing the door bell for 20 minutes, baking in the hot sun. We engaged with two different guys at reception, one was absolutely rude and not only didn't speak english and didn't offer any help with the luggage, he also seemed annoyed at everything. The other reception person was much more sweet and receptive.

We were two collesgues who reserved a double room, but only a single one was offered to us, it was tiny, and we hardly had room not to stumble over one another.

The second night we were moved to a double room, but here the air conditioner didn't work, finally on the third night we were moved to a descent room.

I.suppose that for this price I shouldn't complain, cause you pay for what you get. The location is great, and the wifi worked well but the poor attitude from the guy who welcomed us, the stairs and carrying our luggage, the messiness and disorganization made it a really unpleasant experience. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 September 2015 via mobile

This is a very basic room and would only recommend if you are staying for no more than 3 days.
It seemed clean and had a TV. Not what I thought a hostel would be like.
Our flight was delayed by an hour which resulted in us arriving quite late and was charged 15 euro by the man covering reception (he spoke no English and I think we woke him up)
My friend was bitten numerous times by something in the bed....
I probably wouldn't stay here again however if you are on a flying visit and don't intend on staying in the room for more than an hour after waking then this will do

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2015 via mobile

I'm a budget traveller and am happy with no-frills as long as its friendly, clean and quiet. This was all of these and more. I had the room opposite the entrance door: double bed (which I requested), spacious, little balcony with full length window doors, decent en-suite, comfortable bed. I was here mainly to rest and the staff respected the sign on the door and were friendly but discreet. In the centre of Madrid and huge variety of bars, restaurants, parks, museums very close by. Easy to get to from Chamartin Station - metro to Sol then 5 - 10 mins walk. 15 min walk to Atocha Station. Highly recommended. It is a tiny hostal and easily missed on arrival so keep a careful look for the name on the doorway.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2015

As some travelers said before, the walls are like non existent and you can hear everything people are doing next door. Run like a maniac from room 114, since it is closet size and I mean it. If you extend your arms, you can touch the side walls in this particular room. The bathroom is the tiniest thing you can imagine and water spills out not matter what you do. Check in was easy and the guy in the front desk was very friendly. Wifi is good. Perfect location, but no way I will go back to this place.

Room Tip: Never, never, let them assign you Room 114
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 May 2015

I stayed in Hostal Oporto for 3 nights in May 2015. The people at the desk were nice. They spoke limited to no English which was fine since HELLO we're in Spain and not England. I consider myself a budget traveller, and as long as the room is clean and there are no creepy crawlies, I am a happy camper. Well, folks, this was the first time I was truly floored by the size of a room. It was so small, that when I lied on the bed, I could almost touch both ends of the wall. I am only 5'5"! Because of the wood panelling in the room, it felt like I was sleeping in a coffin LOL. The bed wasn't very clean, and I kept finding someone else's long hairs on the sheets. On the plus side, the bathroom was bright and clean, and funnily enough, almost the same size as the room.The only annoying thing is that the shower had a tendency to flood and there was no drain on the floor of the bathroom. The location is very good, and there are many restaurants around. Wifi was excellent. Overall, I would say maybe keep looking, and if you can't find anything at all, this will be OK. Just don't be too tall! PS- there seem to be rooms with kitchenettes. So maybe my room was just a crummy one.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo