Free cancellation until 28/07
US$126
US$117
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$138/night.

US$131
US$118
  • Pool
NH Madrid Ventas(Madrid)(Great Value!)
US$87
US$82
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$91/night.

US$167
US$355
US$338
Priceline
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$411/night.

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 August 2007

I stayed at the Carlos V for four nights in July. It is in a VERY good location for tourists. It’s in a pedestrian area next to Puerta del Sol and very close to the Sol Metro stop. However, there are a lot of other hotels in the same general area, including the Europa and the Regente. Based on TripAdvisor and other reviews I actually wanted to book at the Europa, but it was full on one of the nights I wanted to stay. Carlos V was my second choice, and I was not dissatisfied.

Our room faced the street, but I didn’t find the street noise to be a problem. The room was air conditioned, as advertised, but I offer three cautionary notes. 1) Like the other hotels I’ve stayed at in Spain, you need to insert your key into a holder by the door to make the electricity (and thus the air conditioning) work. So when you get back to your room, it’s hot. 2) The air conditioner in my room (and probably all the rooms) was rigged so that you couldn’t set it below a certain temperature. I would have preferred it a bit cooler than the preset minimum temperature. 3) The air conditioner was a modern affair with lots of buttons but no manual. On two occasions I must have pushed a wrong button because the air conditioner wouldn’t work and it took several minutes of trial and error button pushing to get it working again.

The room was small, but that’s common in European cities. It was clean and nicely furnished. The TV was a good quality wall mounted LCD unit, although it didn’t get very many channels. I was really satisfied with the quality of the room. The bathroom was well appointed, but so small that the door would only open half way before it hit the sink. All the fixtures were of excellent quality, and they provided combs and razors as well as the usual soap and shampoo. I had no problem with the bathroom, but I would have much preferred it if the door had opened all the way. The room had a great big window you could open and let the air and sounds of Madrid in, which was nice. The in-room safe required a key that you could rent at the front desk. It wasn’t very expensive, but it’s a bit awkward. The safes that have a keypunch code are much less hassle than the old fashioned ones with keys.

The bar/lounge/breakfast room is on what we, in North America, would call the second floor. It’s really a very attractive space. Unfortunately the barman wasn’t there all the time (he just popped in and out) so service wasn’t great. When I was there in July the bar/lounge was rarely used by any guests, which is too bad because, as I said, it’s a really nice space. There is a computer in the lounge that you can use (free) for email.

I didn’t have breakfast in the hotel. There are lots of good places nearby where you can get it cheaper. I can recommend the Armenia, which is just around the corner on the Calle del Carmen.

The front desk staff weren’t particularly friendly but they were polite and there were no problems whatsoever with checking in and checking out. Nor was there any trouble getting them to store our luggage on the day we arrived (at 8:00 a.m.) until later that day when we checked in. I generally spoke Spanish (which I don’t speak all that well) to them but when I needed to switch to English it was not a problem. I inferred that the front desk staff (at least those on duty when I was there) spoke English rather well.

Based on my experience and observations, I highly recommend staying in a hotel in the Puerta del Sol. It’s really a superb location for tourists. There are quite a few hotels in that area that look very nice and have been generally well reviewed. I concur with the generally positive tone of the reviews about the Carlos V that I read on TripAdvisor and I’d be quite happy to stay there again, although next time I will probably try one of the other well reviewed three star hotels in the area, just for variety.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BCBoy3
Reviewed 20 August 2007

I was very pleased with this hotel - it was an abnormally hot May (temperatures in the high 30's) and the effective airconditioning was most appreciated. The room was very pleasant with everything (including combs provided). There is a van to take you to the airport for under 10 Euros, which is good to know. Breakfast was excellent, and the public computer was free.

The street is a pedestrian area, which keeps the noise out (though the effective airconditioning takes care of that anyway!), but elderly people, as well as those with a lot of luggage might find the uphill walk a bit daunting if they take a cab. Try to get the cab to drop you to the UPPER end of the street.

I have to admit that one reason I was extremely pleased with this hotel was the price - I had an excellent deal through Expedia and was only charged $75 a day (including breakfast). When I tried to extend my stay I was told the price would be $150 a day (perfectly legitimate - I understand this was the regular price). So for $75 it was an absolute steal. For $150 it was nice.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank widesargassosea
Reviewed 3 August 2007

This is an excellent choice for tourists. Location in pedestrian area next to Puerta del Sol. Staff was helpful, spoke English. Our room was on the 2nd floor and faced the street. Air con worked GREAT - it was 100 oF outside, but our room was nice and cool. Breakfast was nice, but a bit spendy, proabaly wouldn't do that again. But we will definately stay here again if we're in Madrid. We (me, husband, and 12 yo son) had a triple room, and it was spacious enough. Also, taking the metro here from Barajas airport was relatively easy w/out tons of luggage. If we'd had lots of luggage, it would have been more of a challenge. You have to change twice, but the metro is extremely easy to use.

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed 31 July 2007

The Carlos V certainly is in a great location, within a very short walk to a ton of shopping (to include the huge Corte Ingles right around the corner) and other main avenues; also very quick access to the Metro.

Room was of typical Eurpoean size (ie. fairly small), but exactly what we were looking for as a place to rest between our other activities.

I booked directly through the Best Western website and was early enough to get their 'Early Bird' special, which meant a rate of about $80 per night. Awfully good for downtown Madrid in July.

They also had a convenient shuttle service to the airport that picks up right in front of the hotel (not free, but significantly less than a taxi fare).

Will definitely stay here again.

1  Thank WinginitSolo
Reviewed 19 July 2007

We spent 4 nights at the Carlos V during our recent summer trip to Madrid. Our room at this hotel was perfectly adequate and the breakfast, though at little expensive at 11 euros, was tasty. The main issue was the air conditioner in our room. It put out just a trickle of cool air and only worked away while were were in the room. This was because the electricity to the room is turned on and off by putting the room key into a "holder" by the door. Otherwise we found the location convenient. The hotel is located in a pedestrian shopping street, less than 2 blocks from the Metro.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family