See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 September 2007

Just returnered from 3 nights in the Best Western Carlos V in Madrid. Hotel is very central - 5 mins from Puerto Del Sol the central area and just off the main pedestrian area. Appx 5 mins from Grand Via and all the theatres. Walking distance to all major attractions. Metro station just down the road.
Hotel was clean, tidy, friendly and well located. Room (115) was larger than we expected with 1 double and 1 single bed plus sofa. Small balcony to front (not large enough to sit on)over looks street and buildings opposite. Room had air con and bath/shower. As you would expect for a capitol city it is busy and noisey, however once we shut double glazed doors to balcony we were not distured by any on street noise (we were there Weds to Sat). Breakfast buffet was fine - usual cold meats, cheese, pastries plus cereal and fruit.
Highly recommend Madrid Vision bus trip (No 1) to take in all the sights and get an idea of where everything is. Botanical gardens are nice, Palace is amazing and not to be missed along with Prado museum. Good places to eat apart from all the local tapas bars are VIPS and The Wok and are marked on the Madrid Vision free maps. Great hotel, great location - would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PJHBristol
Reviewed 17 September 2007

I stayed at this hotel for one night only as I was in Madrid for a business trip. The staff was helpful, the room was clean and comfortable as well as the bathroom. The only negative point was that there was nothing to see from my window as it was showing inside the building (people knowing Spanish buildings know what I mean) and there was no daylight either.
The location was good and really central: close to shops, metro station, etc... a few minutes walk from Puerta del Sol.
It was definitely good for value and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Jujuki
Reviewed 31 August 2007

the first impression was depressing. The bed cover, carpets and curtains looked really old. But as we saw it more, it wasn't that bad and the rooms and the hotel in general was quite clean. The air con looks dated again and I was worried about catching Legionella pneumonia. They could have redone the carpets and curtains to show that they have looked after it well.
Breakfast was depressing too.
The only positive point was the location.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2007

I stayed at the Carlos V for four nights in July. It is in a VERY good location for tourists. It’s in a pedestrian area next to Puerta del Sol and very close to the Sol Metro stop. However, there are a lot of other hotels in the same general area, including the Europa and the Regente. Based on TripAdvisor and other reviews I actually wanted to book at the Europa, but it was full on one of the nights I wanted to stay. Carlos V was my second choice, and I was not dissatisfied.

Our room faced the street, but I didn’t find the street noise to be a problem. The room was air conditioned, as advertised, but I offer three cautionary notes. 1) Like the other hotels I’ve stayed at in Spain, you need to insert your key into a holder by the door to make the electricity (and thus the air conditioning) work. So when you get back to your room, it’s hot. 2) The air conditioner in my room (and probably all the rooms) was rigged so that you couldn’t set it below a certain temperature. I would have preferred it a bit cooler than the preset minimum temperature. 3) The air conditioner was a modern affair with lots of buttons but no manual. On two occasions I must have pushed a wrong button because the air conditioner wouldn’t work and it took several minutes of trial and error button pushing to get it working again.

The room was small, but that’s common in European cities. It was clean and nicely furnished. The TV was a good quality wall mounted LCD unit, although it didn’t get very many channels. I was really satisfied with the quality of the room. The bathroom was well appointed, but so small that the door would only open half way before it hit the sink. All the fixtures were of excellent quality, and they provided combs and razors as well as the usual soap and shampoo. I had no problem with the bathroom, but I would have much preferred it if the door had opened all the way. The room had a great big window you could open and let the air and sounds of Madrid in, which was nice. The in-room safe required a key that you could rent at the front desk. It wasn’t very expensive, but it’s a bit awkward. The safes that have a keypunch code are much less hassle than the old fashioned ones with keys.

The bar/lounge/breakfast room is on what we, in North America, would call the second floor. It’s really a very attractive space. Unfortunately the barman wasn’t there all the time (he just popped in and out) so service wasn’t great. When I was there in July the bar/lounge was rarely used by any guests, which is too bad because, as I said, it’s a really nice space. There is a computer in the lounge that you can use (free) for email.

I didn’t have breakfast in the hotel. There are lots of good places nearby where you can get it cheaper. I can recommend the Armenia, which is just around the corner on the Calle del Carmen.

The front desk staff weren’t particularly friendly but they were polite and there were no problems whatsoever with checking in and checking out. Nor was there any trouble getting them to store our luggage on the day we arrived (at 8:00 a.m.) until later that day when we checked in. I generally spoke Spanish (which I don’t speak all that well) to them but when I needed to switch to English it was not a problem. I inferred that the front desk staff (at least those on duty when I was there) spoke English rather well.

Based on my experience and observations, I highly recommend staying in a hotel in the Puerta del Sol. It’s really a superb location for tourists. There are quite a few hotels in that area that look very nice and have been generally well reviewed. I concur with the generally positive tone of the reviews about the Carlos V that I read on TripAdvisor and I’d be quite happy to stay there again, although next time I will probably try one of the other well reviewed three star hotels in the area, just for variety.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BCBoy3
Reviewed 20 August 2007

I was very pleased with this hotel - it was an abnormally hot May (temperatures in the high 30's) and the effective airconditioning was most appreciated. The room was very pleasant with everything (including combs provided). There is a van to take you to the airport for under 10 Euros, which is good to know. Breakfast was excellent, and the public computer was free.

The street is a pedestrian area, which keeps the noise out (though the effective airconditioning takes care of that anyway!), but elderly people, as well as those with a lot of luggage might find the uphill walk a bit daunting if they take a cab. Try to get the cab to drop you to the UPPER end of the street.

I have to admit that one reason I was extremely pleased with this hotel was the price - I had an excellent deal through Expedia and was only charged $75 a day (including breakfast). When I tried to extend my stay I was told the price would be $150 a day (perfectly legitimate - I understand this was the regular price). So for $75 it was an absolute steal. For $150 it was nice.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled with friends