“best gastronomic-foodgasmic experience - yet!”
Review of El Club Allard

El Club Allard
Reserve with
El Club Allard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #166 of 12,472 Restaurants in Madrid
Cuisines: Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Arguelles
Reviewed 27 June 2017

spent my last afternoon in Madrid having a feast! almost 3-hour 14-(or 15)-course menu at this Michelin 2-Star Restaurant. Chef Maria Marte gastronomic prowess is incredible. everything served on the plate was exquisite and divine! It was the best gastronomic experience yet!

serve staff were really polite, friendly, and did a great job explaining each dish (in english).

i also ordered 2 glasses of wine and hot tea.

i called to book 2pm onwards since online reservation does not have an option for solo dining. i chose the seduction menu to complete the experience. the resto itself is pretty neat.

to all the foodies out there, this is a must-dine-in when in Madrid.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,730)

Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

If I had to sum up the experience in one word, I would describe Club Allard as "Exceptional!" We had a 9 course tasting menu and every course was absolutely delicious. The portions were small enough that you did not over eat. The highlights for me were the cold cherry soup (not something I would normally choose), the lobster and then the hibiscus and pisco sour dessert. As with all Michelin star restaurants, the service was excellent and the explanation of the dishes very helpful. This restaurant is definitely one to visit and is most certainly worthy of its stars.

Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

This was my second visit to this restaurant, and once again I enjoyed the experience. We opted for the larger of the 2 tasting menus, excellent quality of food and very well presented. We also opted for the wine tasting menu, and this was a mistake as the wines where not for my taste, and personally feel it's over priced at 80€. For me once again the service is extremely stiff and not personal, it's almost conservative and unfriendly. The waiters speak very softly which one of my friends found to difficult to hear.
The food scores well and the chef is extremely talented, but the waiters need to get some personality and relax, it's an expensive experience and one they could make more enjoyable if they just relaxed.

Reviewed 9 June 2017 via mobile

'Twas after the promising first course that it all went down hill.

The second course arrived, ensconced in a glass kettle emanating stream of co2, arousing high expectations that this little genie once released from its bottle would grant all our culinary wishes. This particular genie's name was baby lobster head baked in a squid inked bun.

Unfortunately it appears our genies were not baby lobsters, but lobster abortions trapped for weeks in their dry, black, bread bun prisons and had resorted to emanating a strong fishy stink as a call for help.

From there on, it was just one disappointing fish dish after the other. Whilst the presentation was commendable, the execution was far from satisfactory - the fish being more like something slimy & textureless that you'd slurp at a yum cha than expect to be plated up at a Michelin 2-star.

Just when we thought we'd escape from the stagnant fish tank, then 'sea rice' turns up. Not really sure how to describe this, other than green cochineal coloured fish-stock flavoured thickened rice. It just doesn't work.

But wait - there was yet more fish to come.

My partner booked our table months ago & advised staff she was 'pescatarian'. It would seem they interpreted this as 'pescadorian' as after ALL that fish, all the supposedly talented 2-star chefs could dredge up for the crowning glory of the dinner - the main - was yet MORE fish, this time a pan-fried slice of turbot with vegetables so salty as to be barely edible, reminiscent of what might be served on a business class flight on some sub-par Russian government operated airline.

By this time we were in hysterics, and me down $100 on losing the bet that they wouldn't dare bring another fish course out - and expressing thus to our poor waiter, who was clearly aware of our high levels of fish discomfort.

So in closing, this will be a memorable night and the source of many very inappropriate 'fish' jokes - and all because of the food.

1  Thank livinitup2015
Reviewed 2 June 2017

We always book a splurge meal for each trip and decided on Club Allard for our Spain vacation. My husband is not into anything too avant-garde so that narrowed down some choices. A draw for me is chef Maria Marte. She is not only the only female chef in Madrid with any Michelin stars but her story of starting off as an immigrant dish washer and now worked her way up to the head chef is awesome.

The restaurant is very close to Plaza Espana and the royal palace. You enter a building in the corner and it doesn't seem quite like a restaurant from the entry. The dining room is light in color, tons of space between the tables for privacy. It's certainly a posh place and I recommend a jacket for the men.

There are 2 choices for the tasting meals, a shorter 10 course "Rendezvous" and a longer 14 course "Seduction". We opted for the later. The wine list was also extensive and to be honest really reasonable priced for this caliber of restaurant. We saw a lot of bottles priced around 50 euros, and I don't think I saw any quadruple digits (at least not in the Spain section anyways). Our waiter helped us pick up 2 bottles of Spanish red that are less well known but were both fantastic. Ended up being cheaper than getting the wine pairings.

Ok now the courses:

Starters:
- Smoked Eel with Coconut - My husband usually does not like eel and he loved this dish. The eel is very light in flavor here but the smokiness and coconut flavors paired well.
- Red King Prawn Bombon - Looks like a Godiva truffle but even prettier. Interesting but slightly fishy for us.
- Shot of Butter Fish and White Asparagus - Wow, I was expecting fishy because it's well a shot of fish, but the flavors were awesome, lots of umami.
- Quail Egg and Truffle Cupcake - The playful "classroom" theme started here. I made the mistake of biting the cupcake in half and dripped the delicious filling all over, what a waste! Haha.
- Norway Lobster - Man oh man, this was by far the best bite of shrimp/lobster/crawfish spectrum of shellfish I've ever had. Just incredibly tender. I could make a whole dinner out of this for sure. Best bite of the night!
- Comte Cheese Soup - A nice soup, was just ok relative to rest of the menu.
- "Sea Rice" - A painstakingly chopped up piece of calamari made to resemble a line of rice, lots of sea flavors.
- Venison with Chen-Chen Sand - Probably my least favorite of the meal, the venison was somehow on the mealy side for me.

Main dishes:
- Baked Turbot - Excellently cooked piece of fish with sauces of seasonable veggies on the side.
- Wagyu Picanha - Super tender beef and a very rich and flavorful sauce.

Desserts:
- Hibiscus Flower and Pisco Sour - Almost too pretty to eat! Tasted just like pisco sour.
- Cheese in 2 textures - Less memorable of the desserts
- Creamed chocolate - A couple different consistencies in this plate made it interesting.
- "Blackboard" - The signature ending here. A bunch of sugar candy things that you can actually write on the board with and eat. Fun!

During the dessert course, they brought us an extra big board of sweets to eat with our fingers because it was our anniversary celebration. Really awesome!

Overall, we had a fantastic meal here with fabulous food and wine. The service was also top notch. While not every single bite was WOW, there were many that were very memorable. If each bite was sensational, then I would expect 3 stars, but to be honest, I haven't had that at 3 star establishments either. But we certainly appreciate the excellent cooking and a good amount of creativity. And for the caliber of the food? I think the price is a steal compared to the US restaurants!