All reviews free breakfast walk into town old town great hotel clean rooms air con recommend this hotel escalator reception euro
Reviewed 27 March 2018

I'm going to be very fair and start by saying that at 45 euro a night for a triple including breakfast, one cannot ask for more. On top of that we got a very quiet clean room (rather small but sufficient) overlooking a courtyard and the curtains worked, so one could sleep soundly plus good beds and good linen. The shower pressure very average in a very small bathroom with no privacy yet good ventilation... No elevator and the area around the hotel is very boring with a couple of seedy bars nearby and a very depressing supermarket. The worst part is the breakfast. Why insist on making a large spread of very poor food? Everything offered is very low cost and that's a shame as it spoils your day. Reception was efficient enough. Next to the train station.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms overlook the courtyard. Breakfast awful.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for one night for a weekend trip to Tarragona

Ups -
GREAT location. A 5 minute walk from the train station and a 10 minute walk from the beaches. Also around a 15 minute walk to the old town with many restaurants, bars and sites
Breakfast was good, large selection and relatively cheap (€6 pp)
Wifi was cracking throughout
Late checkout at 12pm meant no rushing which was nice

Downs -
Air con did not work at all, receptionist didn't really acknowledge the problem so we sweated one out
Shower was tiny, couldn't turn etc without banging the door open
Not worth the money paid (€60), yeah it was good, but everything was very basic and would probably expect a better room and all round better experience for that price

All in all it was ok

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
direccioCat, Recepcion at Catalunya Express, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen Catalunya Express and for taking the time to review your recent experience with us.
We are saddened that we did not exceed your expectations.
Rest assured that we will be sharing your comments with our management to help us focus on improving the quality of our facilities and services.

Best regards

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

My friend and myself stayed here overnight on way to moto gp Aragon. We didn't realise it was fiesta week so had a nice surprise when we went into town to find all those people in party mood. Didn't quite understand the cultural wooden mule thing, ( you had to be there).
Anyway the hotel was clean and quiet with good A/C. Full marks to the girl on reception 21/9/17. Pm. She was very helpful and efficient and the brek was ok and included.
All in all it was a bargain. If you don't expect any more than 3 star you won't be dissapointed.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2017

The hotel has a perfect location, only a few minutes to the beach and to the sights and the main places and streets. But therefore it is very loud. The single bedroom was too small but clean. The breakfast is baisc and there is not much choice. Beware if you park in the parking garage: ask at the reception for the special price!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

My partner and I have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Catalunya Express and were impressed with the clean rooms for a very reasonable price.
Check in was efficient with a friendly receptionist. We were a bit disappointed to find our room was directly over the main road with a bar and shop outside. The noise was a little bit of a let down - I didn't sleep well on the first night but better on the second and third. The noise wasn't unbearable but I would recommend taking ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.
The room itself was very simply furnished with a bed, small clothes rail and set of drawers. We had an ensuite room and the bathroom was very good - spacious and again clean. Great shower and free shower gel.
A couple of things that could be improved in my opinion are the addition of a bin in the room, there were none, and we had to resort to using a plastic bag. Also, the TV didn't have a single channel in English. I of course don't go abroad to watch TV and this is Spain, so I'm perhaps expecting too much but I usually find a news channel such as BBC World is available and was a little disappointed not to find one. However definitely not a deal breaker for us!
The free breakfast was absolutely fantastic with a Nespresso coffee machine, continental options such as meats and cheeses, bread and a toaster plus jams and butter, cereal and a selection of fruit and pastries. To say this was free it was well stocked and all very good quality. I have stayed at much more expensive hotels than this that did not provide a breakfast at all let alone of this quality.
The hotel is located around 10-15 minutes (admittedly up a fairly steep hill) from the centre of Tarragona. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone seeking a no frills base with a quality breakfast at a very good price.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple