“great location and staff”
Review of Downtown Hostel

Downtown Hostel
Ranked #327 of 722 Speciality Lodging in Barcelona
Copenhagen, Denmark
“great location and staff”
Reviewed 27 February 2011

downtown paraiso was the most well organised, clean and welcoming hostel we stayed at in our travels through europe. the staff went out of their way to be helpful. the room we stayed in was clean, and provided more than enough space for the two of us and two large bags. walls are thin, but this is pretty normal for budget accommodation i've found. when we were there, other guests were really great and we never lost any sleep. there is noise from the street, but it is well worth it to stay a one minute walk from las ramblas, and better than this, la boqueria. we would certainly return.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 26 May 2010

Stayed for three nights over the weekend with a friend. Upon arrival you pay for the room and a 10 euro deposit for keys. I notice some people complaining about this but it is totally normal to pay upfront in a hostel.
The service from Sanna was brilliant and she gave us a new map and wrote down on it all the best places to go to. Also told us where to avoid.
Then a quick tour of the place and into our room. It was clean and well kept. The whole hostel was clean and tidy the whole time I was staying.
The shower was great as was the nice added touch of a balcony. I have never stayed in a hostel that has soap, air freshener and plenty of towels in the toilets/shower rooms, a nice touch.
Where the hostel is placed is really handy for the La Ramblas and Liceu Metro 5 minutes stroll away. Some quick food places are close by as is a shop.
But as I stayed the weekend it was noisy, but I expect that as it is a Friday/Saturday night so don't stay here if you really can't sleep easy.
The hostel has a few vending machines with basic water/snacks. The kitchen looked well-kept and so was the lounge areas.
Only thing that I could say to improve the place is to have more than one computer for internet use but wifi is free for you laptop people.
For a Scottish guy out for a bit of sight-seeing and a few drinks it is fun, cheap and a great location.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 3 May 2010

If you want to sleep in a loud hostel, where your window opens onto either a greasy restaurant fan vent billowing smelly oily air from a restaurant, or with sewage so poorly done that the smell stinks up your room if you got a room with a bathroom, then this one is for you.

I got about ten bed bug bites here, on my arms, scalp, torso, and legs, and when I asked to launder all of my clothes because their bedbugs had caused the bites they lied and said they had no laundry machines and gave me the address of a ripoff laundromat. I paid about 15 US dollars to do one load of laundry. I know they lied because my room looked on to the laundry machines.

If you want loud beds that squeal every time that your bunkmate moves, doors that must be slammed repeatedly to shut properly, then this is the right hostel for you. No wonder it wasn´t recommmended in the Let's Go guide.

• Stayed April 2010
Chester
Reviewed 1 December 2009

Arrived to Downtown Paraiso to be greeted with men wandering the corridors with towels wrapped around their heads, these were the wild men from Belfast that Rafa and myself were meeting up with. We got roped into a pub crawl, 12 euros a head, schoolboy error I know but we were thinking how bad can it be?! This american guy Justin took us on the biggest roundabout tour of Barcelona, complete waste of time and the only pub crawl I've got more sober on than when I started! Took us to the bars beside the beach which were a complete rip off, 7 euro a bottle of heineken!!!

We quickly split the scene to la rambla in search of senoritas and ended up in Blvd club. It was a good spot although there were a few guys on the top floor jumping around like lunatics and chanting-weird! Next day we got on the tourist bus, 21 euros well spent, got off at Sagrada Familia(first stop) and hit a deadly irish bar called Michael Collins. Got rat @rsed in there before heading back for a kip and the out to Razzmatazz for a complete session! Great spot-Banging music and american pluts!!

All in all, great trip, exactly what I expected, lot's of beer consumed, minimal sightseeing-Barcelona Ticked!

God I love saying mass!!!!!

A big thank you to Downtown Paraiso, cheap and cheerful, perfect location!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank El_Lordo
Doncaster
Reviewed 20 October 2009

Downtown Paraiso is situated just off the Ramblas and can be easily missed on arrival (we walked past once). You buzz for entry at the door, then up a flight of slightly uneven marble stairs and take the first door on the left to gain entry.

We were greeted by a friendly staff member who spoke fluent English (most major languages are covered by at least one of the team) who took payment from us and a small €5 deposit each for keys and linen. She showed us the kitchen, free internet area, toilets and showers before showing us to our room.

I can only comment on the standard of the room I stayed in and it may be there are better available. In fact, I would be amazed if this wasn't the case! Upon entering the room there was a small passageway which appeared to turn left into the room. It did indeed turn left, but stayed passageway sized. Within this space was two bunk beds, a sink and some lockers. Perfectly adequate for our needs which was pretty much just to sleep, but a bit akin to a prison cell and a tad cramped.

A small note on the lockers is to advise they were not exactly secure. Although not bringing much of value, I did bring a padlock as advised in case we wanted to use them, but this would not stop someone getting into them. You could pretty much pull a lock out with your hands if you wanted to. However the lock on the door room did seem secure to stop anyone getting access in the first place.

As we were out and about a lot we didn't make full use of the amenities, but there seemed to be everything you would need. Toilets and showers were very clean and usually had a stock of shampoos, conditoners and shower gels left by other guests should you forget your own.

Only other real interaction we had with staff was when checking out and getting our deposit returned, where again the service was great. Really friendly and offered to let us store our bags if required.

Staying at the Downtown Paraiso is comparitively very cheap and for your money, you are situated in an ideal spot making it a great place to base yourself for a weekend away. Although generous with my ratings, I couldn't quite justify it being a 4 or 5 overall. If other rooms were better than ours I can quite easily see how this could be the case though.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends