“Something different”

Ranked #58 of 308 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Andorra la Vella, Andorra
“Something different”
Reviewed 27 February 2011

I stayed at this hotel first for 7 days and ended up extending my stay for another 3. I payed silly little money for the 10 days stay, something like €500 and this was with the "big breakfast" included throughout ALL of the days.

...and now I haven't even began to tell you about all the extra treatment that you get, which you maybe would be able to get at the more expensier hotels too...but then you would have to pay big money for that too I guess..

...yeah...did I tell you the hotel itself is located as central as it can be in Barcelona?...yeah...well then..that too is worth a extra euro or two.

As one reviewer wrote;
“The rooms are decked out with antiques and that the windows are open to a duct.

Yes, some beds are small, but that is what I asked and paid for and not a room with a king or queen bed, but in the end of the day, you choose this hotel if you want something "different".

The room that I lived in was cleaned every day and the cleaning personal is very flexible with the cleaning times. In most other hotels the cleaning personal has a certain time frame often not more then a couple of hours when it comes to cleaning a room.
But here the cleaning personal could be available from early morning to late in the afternoon! This was incredible!

Another thing is that you simply could talk to the hotel manager or the cleaning personal and tell then at what time you wish to have your room cleaned at.

Also another great thing is that they ask when YOU would like to eat your breakfast! (for the next day to come)

I never had a problem with the bathroom, always clean and the water that came from the shower was hot, I never did had to wait for the water to heat up or anything like that, hot water in an instant.
Also I took the liberty in taking a shower for 30 minutes during one time because I simply could not seem to leave from there, and I can vouch for the constant hot water.

Staff was incredible friendly and helpful, this is an understatement at best...

My stay at the hotel had one aim, to find a job, I didn't come there for a romantic weekend or anything like that, but still, every time I opened the door to the hotel and stepped in, you can't miss the love in the air that the hotel atmosphere has.
Like I said, it's not the world's best hotel, but the service that you get there from the hotel managers is priceless. All the tips, all the help, around the clock! Just call if you need anything or if you are in any kind trouble....priceless service.

There is so much more to write about because my 10 days were really filled with a lot of things happening but, I'll save this for another time =)

Saludos!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 February 2011

After numerous emails back and forth between me and the proprietors (because I had a variety of questions which they quickly answered), I stayed at the Hostal for 2.5 nights, and was glad that I did. The location is wonderful - in the middle of everything that I wanted to see during my two-day visit, my friends in Barcelona who had been worried about where I was staying were extremely satisfied upon seeing the place, my room was upgraded for the last night (which was particularly lovely since I had to leave at 3 AM to make a bus to the airport), I was given suggestions about where to eat and how to get around, the other tourists were very friendly and we had located the hostal via TripAdvisor, the free internet access was wonderful as I could keep in touch with friends in the next country I was traveling to for a wedding. All in all, a very satisfying and fun stay. if you want a unique, not run of the mill hotel, stay here!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Falafel9
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Nice place with a very friendly atmosphere. Enjoyed that every important place is within walking distance from the hotel. The interior is very charming and unique old antiques. Furniture, old porcelain figures all presented in charming surroundings. The room is small, the bed is short, but that did not disturb the overall impression and well beeing, Visits to Gaudis buildings, Miro collection, Piccasso museum and not to forget Barca FC is recommendable.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GlenPolano
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 February 2011

I travel quite a lot for work, which usually involves overpriced hotel chains, where the hotels simply don't live up to the prices they charge. When I travel privately, I tend to look for cheaper hotels, as I in general don't intend to spend a lot of time there, but would rather go exploring.

I found a good rate for l'Antic Espai for the weekend I was going, nothing like the aforementioned. I think my whole 2 night stay didn't go over 100 euros total...

For that money I got a great location (5 minute walk from Placa de Catalunya, which is great for the airport bus and close to the metro), friendly staff and just a generally quirky experience.

Yes, the rooms are decked out with antiques. Yes, the windows open to a duct. Yes, the (free!) internet is not 100% reliable. Yes, the beds are small (or at least the one in 109 was), but in the end of the day, you choose this hotel if you want something "different" instead of your average IKEA hotel. I'd rather stay in this hotel then waking up in the morning trying to figure out which city I am in, because the furniture looks exactly the same (yes, that did happen!)

Bathroom was clean and shower was hot, breakfast was nothing special (toast, croissant, coffee & orange), but made special by the way it's laid out. There's free DVDs to watch, etc.

Staff was friendly and helpful, no issues at all...

I think you may get disappointed if you expect to find a Hilton-esque hotel to stay in, or if you're quite tall. Having said that, the hotel could probably improve by trying to find some bigger beds...

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paranoid-android76
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 10 February 2011

When I planned my stay in Barcelona, My wife and I decided to spoil our selves with a really nice hotel, we looked at several 4-5 stars hotels, but then noticed this "unique" hotel with all these great reviews. The hotel is rated #5 in Barcelona! We looked at the hotel website and decided on booking for 3 nights, the price was high (135 euro I think) but we didn't mind, we exchanged several emails with the staff of the hotel and booked our stay. We should have been alerted when they told us that they charge the entire stay up front and it's non-refundable, but we didn't notice it back then.
The guy from the emails promised us the suite, with queen-size bed and a terrace.
After a few days in Spain we finally arrived to Barcelona, and when entered the hotel we were shocked. The hotel looks like an old run down house, with several rooms, no elevator, our "suite" was a small room with no windows at all, dirty old rugs, no hot water and the air conditioning didn't work (it was above 30C that day) and the solution they offered me and my pregnant wife was to move to a single bed room!
The "queen-size" bed was tiny, something like one and a half single bed, and the mattress was very uncomfortable.
The "terrace" is a shared balcony between 3 rooms with a view to a wall.
We decided in that moment we are not going to stay there a minute more than we have to. After a night with little sleep, we went first thing in the morning and found another hotel for the rest of our stay, which was in a better location, with far better room and cheaper price.
At first the staff wouldn't refund anything, but evantually, and this is the only good thing I have to say about this place, they refunded all our money except for the first night.
Bottom line is: Stay away from this hotel, Antiqu is another word for a dirty, old and neglected place.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Guy293982
pgolpe, Propietario at Hostal L' Antic Espai, responded to this review, 3 March 2011
Sorry for that experience in our place. Should be possible to give the name for our answer Stay away from these costumers?? Not, we will try to give an answer to this bad experience in our hotel.
First 135€ for one unique suite room in one Boutique Hotel in Barcelona is not expensive. It is a special offer, for that so cheap. The cancellation policy is what everybody decides to get at the moment when will be decide the price you book. For the less expensive tariff more restrictions. It happened with everything around the world.
We never promise Queen-Size bed because we don’t have this kind of bedrooms. The terrace was there. These suite rooms open trough two big doors to a terrace. How not windows???
About the cleanness in our place can happen one day one mistake but it’s very rare, in five years we have never one complain about it. For sure it’s not a dirty place.
Not hot water, where was that? Not here. It’s true we have at the moment problem with the air condition and the only room available was a small room for that reason we decide to refund the money after you do decide to leave.
The mattress is the best mattress quality for Spain. Maybe not the one you normally use but it mean uncomfortable??
The terrace is to share with all guests in case it’s possible because there is enough space. If you close you curtain you will not see and not bee seeing by others.
Better location that our location you need to show me where in Barcelona is it.
We decide to refund the money because it’s true we have some problem with our service at the moment and we completely agree if we can not offer what belong to our service quality we let the people have quite and nice stay in another place. Of course if you stay a night with us for that you need to pay.
You had a very bad luck in our place, one place that for many others is the ideal place to spend a memorable stay.
Regards,