Hostal L' Antic Espai
Hotel Arts Barcelona(Barcelona)
US$822
US$618
  • Beachfront
All reviewsno liftsitting roomsingle roomsergiogranbuzzersangriaaerobus
Reviewed 27 February 2011

After numerous emails back and forth between me and the proprietors (because I had a variety of questions which they quickly answered), I stayed at the Hostal for 2.5 nights, and was glad that I did. The location is wonderful - in the middle of everything that I wanted to see during my two-day visit, my friends in Barcelona who had been worried about where I was staying were extremely satisfied upon seeing the place, my room was upgraded for the last night (which was particularly lovely since I had to leave at 3 AM to make a bus to the airport), I was given suggestions about where to eat and how to get around, the other tourists were very friendly and we had located the hostal via TripAdvisor, the free internet access was wonderful as I could keep in touch with friends in the next country I was traveling to for a wedding. All in all, a very satisfying and fun stay. if you want a unique, not run of the mill hotel, stay here!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Falafel9
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Nice place with a very friendly atmosphere. Enjoyed that every important place is within walking distance from the hotel. The interior is very charming and unique old antiques. Furniture, old porcelain figures all presented in charming surroundings. The room is small, the bed is short, but that did not disturb the overall impression and well beeing, Visits to Gaudis buildings, Miro collection, Piccasso museum and not to forget Barca FC is recommendable.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GlenPolano
Reviewed 14 February 2011

I travel quite a lot for work, which usually involves overpriced hotel chains, where the hotels simply don't live up to the prices they charge. When I travel privately, I tend to look for cheaper hotels, as I in general don't intend to spend a lot of time there, but would rather go exploring.

I found a good rate for l'Antic Espai for the weekend I was going, nothing like the aforementioned. I think my whole 2 night stay didn't go over 100 euros total...

For that money I got a great location (5 minute walk from Placa de Catalunya, which is great for the airport bus and close to the metro), friendly staff and just a generally quirky experience.

Yes, the rooms are decked out with antiques. Yes, the windows open to a duct. Yes, the (free!) internet is not 100% reliable. Yes, the beds are small (or at least the one in 109 was), but in the end of the day, you choose this hotel if you want something "different" instead of your average IKEA hotel. I'd rather stay in this hotel then waking up in the morning trying to figure out which city I am in, because the furniture looks exactly the same (yes, that did happen!)

Bathroom was clean and shower was hot, breakfast was nothing special (toast, croissant, coffee & orange), but made special by the way it's laid out. There's free DVDs to watch, etc.

Staff was friendly and helpful, no issues at all...

I think you may get disappointed if you expect to find a Hilton-esque hotel to stay in, or if you're quite tall. Having said that, the hotel could probably improve by trying to find some bigger beds...

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paranoid-android76
Reviewed 10 February 2011

When I planned my stay in Barcelona, My wife and I decided to spoil our selves with a really nice hotel, we looked at several 4-5 stars hotels, but then noticed this "unique" hotel with all these great reviews. The hotel is rated #5 in Barcelona! We looked at the hotel website and decided on booking for 3 nights, the price was high (135 euro I think) but we didn't mind, we exchanged several emails with the staff of the hotel and booked our stay. We should have been alerted when they told us that they charge the entire stay up front and it's non-refundable, but we didn't notice it back then.
The guy from the emails promised us the suite, with queen-size bed and a terrace.
After a few days in Spain we finally arrived to Barcelona, and when entered the hotel we were shocked. The hotel looks like an old run down house, with several rooms, no elevator, our "suite" was a small room with no windows at all, dirty old rugs, no hot water and the air conditioning didn't work (it was above 30C that day) and the solution they offered me and my pregnant wife was to move to a single bed room!
The "queen-size" bed was tiny, something like one and a half single bed, and the mattress was very uncomfortable.
The "terrace" is a shared balcony between 3 rooms with a view to a wall.
We decided in that moment we are not going to stay there a minute more than we have to. After a night with little sleep, we went first thing in the morning and found another hotel for the rest of our stay, which was in a better location, with far better room and cheaper price.
At first the staff wouldn't refund anything, but evantually, and this is the only good thing I have to say about this place, they refunded all our money except for the first night.
Bottom line is: Stay away from this hotel, Antiqu is another word for a dirty, old and neglected place.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Guy293982
pgolpe, Propietario at Hostal L' Antic Espai, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2011

Sorry for that experience in our place. Should be possible to give the name for our answer Stay away from these costumers?? Not, we will try to give an answer to this bad experience in our hotel.
First 135€ for one unique suite room in one Boutique Hotel in Barcelona is not expensive. It is a special offer, for that so cheap. The cancellation policy is what everybody decides to get at the moment when will be decide the price you book. For the less expensive tariff more restrictions. It happened with everything around the world.
We never promise Queen-Size bed because we don’t have this kind of bedrooms. The terrace was there. These suite rooms open trough two big doors to a terrace. How not windows???
About the cleanness in our place can happen one day one mistake but it’s very rare, in five years we have never one complain about it. For sure it’s not a dirty place.
Not hot water, where was that? Not here. It’s true we have at the moment problem with the air condition and the only room available was a small room for that reason we decide to refund the money after you do decide to leave.
The mattress is the best mattress quality for Spain. Maybe not the one you normally use but it mean uncomfortable??
The terrace is to share with all guests in case it’s possible because there is enough space. If you close you curtain you will not see and not bee seeing by others.
Better location that our location you need to show me where in Barcelona is it.
We decide to refund the money because it’s true we have some problem with our service at the moment and we completely agree if we can not offer what belong to our service quality we let the people have quite and nice stay in another place. Of course if you stay a night with us for that you need to pay.
You had a very bad luck in our place, one place that for many others is the ideal place to spend a memorable stay.
Regards,
Abel Estévez.

Reviewed 5 February 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights in May 2010. Because I was traveling alone I wanted something in a safe location with a bit of charm. Sergio, Abel, and staff were unfailingly helpful and warm to me, always there to answer questions and recommend restaurants, sightseeing options, etc. When some people I had met came by to rendezvous for dinner, they were invited to have a glass of wine while they waited for me. My room was tiny, but I expected it to be so. There was an armoire and a stand for my small suitcase, so I had no problems fitting everything in the room. It was immaculately clean, bathroom included, with thoughtful amenities. Yes, water after the initial carafe is not free, but I just got my own large bottle at the nearby el Corte Inglese. The location is very central, close to the metro, within walking distance of Casa Battlo and la Pedrera, Placa de Catalunya, las Ramblas, Bari Gotic, etc. There is free high-speed internet in the lobby and I hardly ever had to wait to use it. There is no elevator, but it is only one floor up a spacious stairway, so that didn't bother me at all. With my room package, I had one continental breakfast included, but some other guests were having one that looked great and had meat, cheese, etc., so I upgraded to that one. The terrace for breakfast is really cheery and cozy, too. One night, I got take-out at a nearby Chinese/Japanese restaurant, brought it back, and watched a DVD from their extensive collection. I think the web site gives an accurate picture of this property; I really enjoyed my stay here. It's a great value and you will be made to feel very welcome.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo