“Stuck in a noisy kitchen with a bed stuck in it.”
Review of Hostal Felipe II

Hostal Felipe II
Ranked #354 of 732 Speciality Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed 5 November 2010

We were asked to call when we arrived in town. Wec assumed it was to be given directions. As we knew our way around, we went to the hostal, as other friends were staying there for the weekend also. When we arrived, it turns out we had been moved to another building way across town, well away fro our friends. The contact explained that the room was a very good one, and "even has it's own kitchen"! However, it was not a bedroom with it's own kitchen, so much as the flat's kitchen with a bed put in it! And the washing machines were on, washing towels from the other rooms. The boilers for that part of the buidling were also there, so every time somebody decided to wash their hands or take a shower, they rattled and chugged away - guaranteed wake-up call, even when you didn't want one. So, not a real room, but noisy, and not in the location we wanted.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hostal Felipe II

Reviewed 14 October 2010

Best thing: it was clean. Things we didn't like: room change from double bed to two singles, charged me in CAD when I thought I had paid in euros, up four flights of poorly lit rickety stairs, Internet access all manual set-up and very slow, wash basin in the room, only the toilet and shower stall in a separate tiny cubicle, room placed above noisy street, no breakfast, hotel has been created with bigger rooms sub-divided and converted with cheapest materials, toilet has instructions not put toilet paper down it as it will clog because the flush motor isn't strong enough. Ok to stay if there is nowhere else.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2010

This hostal was perfect for my family (my wife and I and our 7yr-old son).

ROOM:
We stayed in a three-bed room (307) with its own toilet and shower, air-conditioning, a fridge, and a balcony. There was also a TV/DVD player, which we weren't expecting (and didn't have time to use). The beds were comfy and the room was cleaned every other day. Our room had ethernet sockets but we didn't need them because of the free WIFI. If we hadn't brought our own laptop and smartphone, we could have used one of the free computers in the common room.

LOCATION:
The hostal is in a great location, only a few hundred metres from the Sagrada Familia, very close to a Metro station, and with a bus stop right outside. For those who like to see the city on foot, the hostal is about 45 minutes walk from the city centre (an easy walk because Barcelona is built on a grid). There is a late-opening convenience store very nearby, and several good bakeries within walking distance.

Vehicle noise on the street is pretty loud, but that wasn't a problem for us (we were always exhausted after long days exploring the city). There are much noisier parts of Barcelona. Forewarned is forearmed!

STAFF:
The staff were very friendly and helpful and spoke perfect English. We arrived at the hostal at 2am (you have to warn them if you're arriving later than 10pm), and were greeted by a friendly young American guy.

OTHER:
The hostal is on the third floor, and has a very old-fashioned lift which broke down one morning. Not a major problem, and I've no doubt that staff would bring luggage or shopping upstairs for people who'd find it hard to carry it up all the stairs.

OVERALL:
For anyone who doesn't already know, a hostal is not a hotel, so don't expect meals, room service, bars and leisure facilities. But if you're looking for a comfortable base from which to explore the city, you'll find Felipe II an ideal place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 June 2010

Stayed here in May 2010. Good things about the hotel: location is really good, central and close to metro; beautiful old building with old elevator ; wooden floors in rooms; reasonable price. Bad things: the rooms are very small and very VERY noisy. No, really, let me make this clear: VERY noisy. We had a room quite close to (but not the one next to) the reception and it was impossible to get any sleep as you could hear banging on doors, telephones ringing, people in the corridors shouting and the receptionists shouting even louder than the guests themselves. At some point what must have been the owner/manager of the hotel arrived ( at 8 in the morning) yelling instructions at the receptionist at the top of her voice and then (wait for it) someone opened our door with a key while we were sleeping without even knocking to check if anyone was in the room. This is unacceptable. If you want privacy and silence this hotel is not for you. If you don't care about these things then I suppose it's a beautiful building and a good deal for some people. There is wifi internet all throughout the hotel, which is very handy, and the staff is helpful with info.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2010

Just few weeks ago went to Barcelona with my best friend. Through the Internet I've booked the room '408', which looks very nice on the pictures (twin bed, balcony, private wc). I wrote huge number of emails, asking, whether this room is available for the date, I was planning to arrive. The answer was positive,I've paid deposit,but on the arrival day I was told,that the room is busy,and that there is another room. However, the other room was horrible,it was VERY small, and with one bed! There was no hot water in the monrning..The owner of this flats,said,that its possible to change the room the next day.Next day I was told, 'sorry,the room is already busy'!!! I was shoked! I start quarreling, screaming, saying,sorry, I booked the other big room,and I'm given completely another! after the scandal, I was given a SUIT, which was located near the beach.This room was much bigger, nicer!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends