“family tourism”

Barcelona Zoo Entrance Ticket
Ranked #156 of 802 things to do in Barcelona
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 6 April 2018

very nice zoo contains all kinds of animals from samll insects to elephants.map guide and description of each one

Date of experience: May 2017
Write a ReviewReviews (3,702)
All reviews
"dolphin show"
in 327 reviews
"albino gorilla"
in 30 reviews
"wide variety of animals"
in 26 reviews
in 18 reviews
"euros"
in 84 reviews

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

After visiting many zoos throughout Europe I was keen to visit Barcelona Zoo, I had read a lot of mixed reviews but decided to see for myself. Overall it is a very good zoo, large in size and the majority of the animals appeared to have an adequate sized enclosure.

On arrival to the zoo the queues were very long and throughout my visit I was constantly pushed and walked on by both adults and children which altered my opinion of my visit slightly but that's at no fault of the zoo and it is good to see the attraction as being popular but made it difficult for me to view some animals.

As with a lot of the zoos the prices of food and drink were not reasonable but I thought it was particularly expensive in Barcelona Zoo so try bring your own refreshments as there are a few picnic areas.

The zoo is located near to the city centre but we travelled by metro from our hotel.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

I usually enjoy visiting zoos but I will think twice about going to a zoo again after my visit to Barcelona zoo. We booked tickets before we arrived and got money off so I thought we had a good deal. Unfortunately the visit to the zoo left me feeling incredibly upset. In my opinion the animals do not look well cared for or happy. The enclosures are far too small and not appropriate for the large animals. To see dolphins swimming around in circles in a small pool was heart breaking. There were customers throwing food into the enclosures and when we asked them if they should be doing that they laughed and carried on. I saw no staff/animal carers whilst walking around the zoo. The only hope i have is the money I paid for the tickets paid for some animal food. Somebody needs to take action to ensure these animals are better cared for. I was looking forward to seeing all the animals but it left me feeling very sad on holiday. Avoid.

7  Thank 743RebeccaR
Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Be warned... there are, sadly, still dolphins here. I would have avoided this zoo had I realised prior to entering. However, to rate the zoo as a zoo, it is massive and there’s tonnes to see. Mostly the animals look well cared for with good enclosures. In the reptile area, Some people seemed to find the mice (which were feed for the reptiles) to be cruel and didn’t like it... but seemingly were happy to watch dolphins?! However, the mice are already dead and it’s feed for the reptiles who only eat when they’re hungry so to feed them out of public View seems like it would be unrealistic.
As mentioned above, the Zoo is very good but I wish I’d done my research first as I wouldn’t have spent money knowing there were dolphins here so I can’t rate 5 stars.

See more reviews
Reviewed 25 March 2018

We caught the Metro down to the zoo as we knew that there would be quite a lot of walking involved! Before you go in to the zoo there was a special park for people to walk their dogs - such a brilliant idea, they could be off the lead and run around through the trees - the UK needs to make more parks just for dogs! Anyway, once inside the zoo we went to the restaurant for coffee and a pizza Margarita between the two of us. Unfortunately, there were a couple of British families there who let down our country with their behaviour. There were plenty of small areas to get something to eat and plenty of places to sit but these were not open, probably until Easter. We were lucky going on a day when although there were plenty of Spanish families the number of tourists was much smaller than during the summertime! We went into the Dolphin Aquarium and watched a dolphin having treatment for something like asthma. The other three dolphins were swimming around and doing some tricks. We were also lucky enough to see an otter, he was finishing his dinner - a salmon! There was a Humboldt penguin standing on top of a rock, every now and again he would shout - he sounded like a bear! We saw red pandas - asleep, lions, tigers, giraffes, elephants, white Rhino, hippos including a pygmy hippo, giant tortoises, gazelles, lemurs, chimpanzees, orang utans and some really funny monkeys. Some of them looked as though they had a bad hair day, then others had moustaches! There were gibbons, who when they came outside one of the young ones came out on his back legs holding onto his tail. The zoo was kept very well and they are also building a larger savannah area for the elephants.