“Not 5 Star, but OK” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gran Hotel Princesa Sofia

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Gran Hotel Princesa Sofia
Ranked #116 of 522 Hotels in Barcelona
sabadellexpatbrit
“Not 5 Star, but OK”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stayed one night in this hotel, 150 euros including breakfast for an evening business meeting. Duty Manager called as soon as we were in room to make sure all ok. I noticed the breakfast price was 30 euros per person, but breakfast was great, no question. Buffet style, bacon eggs, mushrooms, sausages, hams, cheese, rolls, jams, fruits etc. Staff spoke English to varying levels and seemed pleased to help. Room was clean but a little tired and obviously in need of a re-decoration. Room was a good size. It is important to remember room size is an integral part of the Spanish hotel star system. As there is no international star system for hotels, (really!!) comforts can change as you travel. However, our room had hairdryer, TV, safe, etc. No trouser press. Minibar but with insane prices, so take your own drinking water (you dont want to drink Barcelona tap water; healthwise ok, but awful taste), soft drinks, night caps etc. Location is not fantastic for the city, you will need to take Metro or taxi, so consider that. Do not take taxis from outside the hotel, walk down the road a bit and hail one. A lot cheaper.
All in all, a good hotel for conferences, visiting Camp Nou or for weekend breaks if you get an good offer from their webpage, but for longer stays visiting the city, perhaps I would want to stay a little closer to the centre.

Room Tip: Call before you book. Make sure you mention any offers you have seen. In Spain, you often have to sa...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank sabadellexpatbrit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ludenscheid, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

My family and I spent 6 nights at the Princessa Sofia Hotel and we were very impressed with the high standard of this 5 star hotel. We booked a Suite and had an access to the Club which was very good since we had the opportunity to indulge snacks and alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks until 10.30 pm every day. The rooms were really lovely and not noisy at all. The furniture was beautiful and our king size bed was very big and very comfortable. We could choose between four different kind of pillows which ensured that we could have a good rest every night. Furthermore, the bathroom was very classy.We really felt home the moment we arrived.

The hotel is located next to the Camp Nou (FC Barcelona, 5 minutes walk to the Metro) and usually accomadates the guest teams which play against the FC Barcelona or the players who have just joined the club. Interestingly,Lionel Messi and Gerard Pique had a coffee at the club while we were there..

The check-in was very effective and fast and we were given an early check-in and a late check-out. The staff is very friendly and helpful and they do all they can to make your stay as pleasant as possible. The atmosphere within the hotel has to be good since the hotel has many employees who have been working for the hotel for more than twenty years. I personally think that this is a very good sign as the hotel appreciates in that way the hard and good labour of the elderly. The breakfast was quite good and we found everything we needed to start our day right. The Spa and the gym were lovely and the exercise equiment offered most comfort. To sum up we had an excellent time in Barcelona and we would certainly choose this hotel again.

Finally I would like thank Mrs. Trullen, Mr. Irazabal, Mr.Farina and Mrs.Evelyn for their excellent service and for helping us to make the best of our trip.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Portland, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

The rooms were decently sized and had all the amenities as expected. However, the furniture and parts of the room were very well worn and noticable. I was there for a business conference, so all the breaks and lunches were provided by the hotel. It was a great selection of local dishes and fresh ingredients. The service was immpeccable and most of the staff spoke English (if you don't speak Spanish).

Room Tip: If you arrive before you can check in, leave your bags at concierge and grab the #33 to Sagrada Fami...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank prostotthehost
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

This is an average Hotel. This is not a 5 star hotel.
Since I've stayed in this hotel for 9 days, I will tell you its pros and cons:
Let's begin with the PROS:
1) Excelent Location: On Av. Diagonal. Easy access (2 blocks) to the Metro and less than 1 block to TRAM.
2) Very Good GYM / SPA: If you are a guest in the hotel, you have to pay 12 euros per day to use the Acqua Gym Spa. The gym is big, the swimming pool is heated (perfect temperature, not too cold or hot), 20 meters, you can borrow caps and - if available - goggles. There are treadmills, I think 4 or 5, don't remember and other gym equipments.
Beware that they have a free 'mini gym' too, but it is too small, only one treadmill. If you are lucky, you can find it empty.
3) Breakfast. The breakfast is the only 5-star thing is this hotel. Wide variety of fresh fruits, parma ham, cheese, breads, croissants, juices...
CONS:
1) Very Poor free wireless connection: It is a good thing that we don't have to pay for wi-fi connection. However, I tried to work from the hotel and access the VPN of my company, but that was sooo slow, that I ended up giving up. Of course, Skype video calls were poor also.
2) Staff (with a very few exception) were just okay. At your first day they are all friendly and helpful, but after your third day there, they don't even bother to say good morning. They are ok.
3) Rooms. The rooms are big and quiet (that's the only excelent aspect of the rooms). My room had an old carpet with stains. I believe all rooms are carpeted. The curtains were not working properly, one of its parts got stucked on the metal rail. The TV was okay: lots of local and worldwide channels. The bathroom is large, but you have to call the room service if you need more than a soap, a conditioner or a shampoo. (I needed a shower cap and I had to call the reception).
4) Food (room service). This was the ugly aspect. I was very satisfied with the food on this hotel. However, on the last day, I ate a sandwich with mayo and eggs (yes, I know... what I was thinking?!?) and I got a food poisoning. So, beware with the food.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank annaSa0Paul0
Victorexpo, Director Comercial at Gran Hotel Princesa Sofia, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
First of all let me thank you for your comments, that we received though the tripadvisor website and for taking the time to share with us your opinion on your experience at the Hotel Princesa Sofia. The most effective way to improve our services is through feedback from our customers describing their experiences with us, being positive or improvable.

I am truly sorry that some aspects of your stay have not been up to your expectations.

I can assure you that the basic lines of work of our outlets, including room service, are based on product quality, professional development and service oriented to customer satisfaction.

After reading your comments, concerning the room service, I have been reviewing the matter with the Food and Beverage director and the Quality department team. I am sorry for what happened but we have investigated, and we have not found any abnormality in the preparation and delivery of the Club Sandwich. But we will definitely increase the controls to make sure that the standards are respected.

With regard to the rate of access to the Aqua Diagonal, I am sorry to know that your disappointment was due to a lack of information on the part of our personnel; The Aqua Diagonal is an independent Club from partners to the Hotel, though it finds at the disposal of our guests the opportunity to become a member paying a special rate and this way turn into " Member for one day " giving you the right to use all facilities, not only the swimming pool but a wide range of services such as Jacuzzi, sauna, cardiovascular equipment and a large amount of activities to be chosen directly by our guests. In your case, I would recommend in the future, to book a room in the Club, that offers among others advantages, the access to the Aqua Wellness Centre without extra charge. You can also enroll at our E-club to get the same advantages.

Regarding the rooms, let me tell you that we have an actions plan of preventive maintenance, improvement of our rooms. It’s important to us that the hotel offers the most comfortable facilities to our guests.

About the wifi, I have been reviewing the matter with the informatics department.
The lack of signal or slowness in certain areas and rooms was due to power outages that caused the shutdown of the wireless antennas. To avoid this problem we have implemented a tool that analyzes continuously (24hours) the performance of wifi antennas. If they stop working, this tool issues a warning notice to the department.

Finally, I have found unexpected comments on our staff. Attention and courtesy as well as service and reliability are the most important factors on which we focus. Comments that our guests posted on websites such as Tripadvisor show that our employees are often the subject of greeting. Even though, I do apologize if we haven’t made you feel as you deserve. Be sure that all the Princesa Sofía Gran Hotel team is willing to give the best of each of them. Attention is one of our essential guideline in our philosophy.

We hope the actions already taken and with a commitment to improvement, will be a step forward to win you back as a guest.

Yours sincerely.

General Manager.
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

I stayed here for Mobile World Congress in February. It's a large but comfortable business hotel. My room was standard but the bed and linens were good. The buffet breakfast is outstanding - truly, anything you could possibly want was available. The location, though, isn't the best. It's far, far away from the charming restaurants and attractions of Barcelona. We took a 20-25 minute cab ride every night for dinner. The metro isn't too far away, but you usually need to change lines at least once to get where you want to go in the Gothic area. It's apparently close to Camp Nou, the soccer stadium, so that could be a plus. Bottom line - fine for business, but you can do much better for a vacation hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business