“Strike”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Babylon Idiomas Barcelona
More attraction details
Owner description: Babylon Idiomas offers a range of Intensive Spanish courses in schools throughout Spain, including our wonderfully located school in Barcelona. Our company was established in 2002 and we've grown ever since to become one of the leading language learning institutes in the world. Babylon Idiomas was voted best Spanish language school in 2011 for the second time after winning as well in 2008.
Reviewed 10 March 2015

The teachers at this school are wonderful but unfortunately it might not be around for much longer. At the moment there are only classes Tuesday to Thursday because the teachers are on strike Monday and Friday, the reason being is that they haven't been paid for months.
It is still possible to pay for courses in the future, but this is an highly inadvisable thing to do as the school in on the brink as the school is barely functioning at the moment.
My advice would be to find another school in Barcelona.

1  Thank travellinguru45

Reviewed 23 February 2015

The teachers are on strike on my very first day of class due to the fact that they have not been paid since December (almost three months). Therefore no class took place. I undestand the teachers but what I don't understand is that the owner does not pay them. This will be my last language class at Babylon.

7  Thank Heidi_Franken
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I read a review above that sums it all up really.

Where the teachers may be lovely and actually rather good at teaching, the inherent lack of customers means you are put in a group that is well below your level and spend a lot of time learning the basics. The office is a bit of a joke as well, the lack of organisation is very clear.

Although they have some great teachers and lovely people, I would advise going only if you are new to Spanish and don't have a decent understanding of the language.

Also watch out, they have some cranky people in the school too!

3  Thank DirtyPawsTraveller
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I found learning Spanish as an immersion experience quite difficult. There was a great deal of support and the teachers were fantastic. The organised tours were excellent. I suggest that during the time you are a student you don't schedule much else! It is important to do the homework and put a lot of effort into learning. There is no doubt that it is a great way to learn about culture and the people. They have a Happy Miércoles where students get together to learn Spanish. Since returning to Australia I have kept up the learning experience and I also intend to return to do more classes in Barcelona.

2  Thank Jo M
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I wish I could write two separate reviews for Babylon idiomas: One for the teaching staff and one for the rest. The teachers were way above average (of what I have experienced in many other language schools). I stayed for four weeks, so I had a lot of different teacher. Of couse, some of them were not very motivated, but others were the best I have ever had. I am studying to become a teacher, so I know good teaching when I see it.
But the organisation of the school did not convince me at all. I complained in my first week that the level of my group was too low, but the headmistress refused to change my group (as I was in the highest level already). The only solution would have been private lessons (just one hour per day instead of four), which I was given one week when there was no C1 class. Then I had to attend the normal lessons again, which was quite frankly often a waste of time, as it was just a repetition of what I already knew. I was told that the administration does not allow group lessons to be changed for private lessons, so they just tell you that you are in the right group.
I would therefore not recommend the school for people who already have a good knowledge of Spanish.
And what bothered me even more is the fact that the school tries to rip you off with their additional offers, like accomodation. For my 4 weeks I would have had to paid 1000 Euros, which is simply ridiculous considering the fact that you can find a decent room for just 350 Euro (which I did). And the host families just receive about half of what you pay, the school gets the rest. The same applies to salsa classes,... So I would urge you just to book lessons and nothing else. You will save lots of money!

9  Thank --Regensburg--4