“Great Courses - Great Teachers”
Review of Babylon Idiomas Barcelona - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Babylon Idiomas Barcelona
More attraction details
Owner description: Babylon Idiomas offers a range of Intensive Spanish courses in schools throughout Spain, including our wonderfully located school in Barcelona. Our company was established in 2002 and we've grown ever since to become one of the leading language learning institutes in the world. Babylon Idiomas was voted best Spanish language school in 2011 for the second time after winning as well in 2008.
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I found learning Spanish as an immersion experience quite difficult. There was a great deal of support and the teachers were fantastic. The organised tours were excellent. I suggest that during the time you are a student you don't schedule much else! It is important to do the homework and put a lot of effort into learning. There is no doubt that it is a great way to learn about culture and the people. They have a Happy Miércoles where students get together to learn Spanish. Since returning to Australia I have kept up the learning experience and I also intend to return to do more classes in Barcelona.

2  Thank Jo M

Reviewed 21 September 2013

I wish I could write two separate reviews for Babylon idiomas: One for the teaching staff and one for the rest. The teachers were way above average (of what I have experienced in many other language schools). I stayed for four weeks, so I had a lot of different teacher. Of couse, some of them were not very motivated, but others were the best I have ever had. I am studying to become a teacher, so I know good teaching when I see it.
But the organisation of the school did not convince me at all. I complained in my first week that the level of my group was too low, but the headmistress refused to change my group (as I was in the highest level already). The only solution would have been private lessons (just one hour per day instead of four), which I was given one week when there was no C1 class. Then I had to attend the normal lessons again, which was quite frankly often a waste of time, as it was just a repetition of what I already knew. I was told that the administration does not allow group lessons to be changed for private lessons, so they just tell you that you are in the right group.
I would therefore not recommend the school for people who already have a good knowledge of Spanish.
And what bothered me even more is the fact that the school tries to rip you off with their additional offers, like accomodation. For my 4 weeks I would have had to paid 1000 Euros, which is simply ridiculous considering the fact that you can find a decent room for just 350 Euro (which I did). And the host families just receive about half of what you pay, the school gets the rest. The same applies to salsa classes,... So I would urge you just to book lessons and nothing else. You will save lots of money!

9  Thank --Regensburg--4
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Babylon Barcelona is in a good location, with helpful and enthusiastic staff and interesting classes.
I did the intensive course - 6 hours a day with culture classes and conversation classes and I had a brilliant time. We learned a lot of interesting things, and all classes were in spanish, which gives a great feeling of achievement- to know youve listened to and spoken only in Spanish for 6 hours minimum every day.
The classes are small 10 or less.
The emphasis is very much on the student to practice outside of school and during class and decide if they think they are working at the right level. I decided mine was too high and had no problems changing down a bit.
The after school activity programme looks great and happy miercoles bar visit is fun for meeting your friends and the teachers and other students.
It's not cheap and if you can get cheaper accomodation elsewhere i'd recommend it.
BUT its great fun, you meet lots of people and you learn a lot.

3  Thank Kwellerpunk
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I did a one week intensive course here, including a private 1:1 class for medical Spanish. It was a wonderful learning experience; the intermediate intensive class I was in was quite enjoyable and fun. The instructors were great and very helpful as well as the staff. Even the lady downstairs in the building was very helpful: she gave me instructions, on my first day, how to navigate the city (it wasn't my first time :) but how could you not get lost, you're close to the shopping area (Passeig de Gracia and Plaza Catalunya). I'd go there again (Babylon) if I had the chance. NB: One of my classes fell on a holiday (Tuesday) so there were no classes but the school made it up by offering a free excursion in the city. So cool! (other language schools in the area didn't offer make up classes).

5  Thank mybluejeanbaby
See more reviews
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I attended a basic intensive course at Babylon Idiomas for 4 weeks; I am a beginners' beginner when it comes to Spanish. I chose Babylon because of these factors: City and location of school, flexibility of course schedule, competitive pricing. In addition, I was most impressed with the help given by the enrollment staff when I called them while I was registering the course and accommodation online. And I am glad that I made that choice. Their programs, academic and extracurricular activities, provided the challenges of learning a new language during the day and the opportunities to practice what we learned during after class rendezvous, mingle with teachers and fellow students, city walks, etc, on top of on premise scheduled culture classes. The teachers are super and the admin staff are always there to help. During my stay with Babylon, I learned a great deal, met a lot of friends and had a lot of fun!

3  Thank DONOL L