Babylon Idiomas Barcelona - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Nice teachers, poor place

I read a review above that sums it all up really. Where the teachers may be lovely and actually... read more

Reviewed 20 May 2014
DirtyPawsTraveller
London, United Kingdom
Disappointing, despite having had great teachers

Reviewed 21 September 2013
--Regensburg--4
Regensburg, Germany

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I wish I could write two separate reviews for Babylon idiomas: One for the teaching staff and one for the rest. The teachers were way above average (of what I have experienced in many other language schools). I stayed for four weeks, so I had a lot of different teacher. Of couse, some of them were not very motivated, but others were the best I have ever had. I am studying to become a teacher, so I know good teaching when I see it.
But the organisation of the school did not convince me at all. I complained in my first week that the level of my group was too low, but the headmistress refused to change my group (as I was in the highest level already). The only solution would have been private lessons (just one hour per day instead of four), which I was given one week when there was no C1 class. Then I had to attend the normal lessons again, which was quite frankly often a waste of time, as it was just a repetition of what I already knew. I was told that the administration does not allow group lessons to be changed for private lessons, so they just tell you that you are in the right group.
I would therefore not recommend the school for people who already have a good knowledge of Spanish.
And what bothered me even more is the fact that the school tries to rip you off with their additional offers, like accomodation. For my 4 weeks I would have had to paid 1000 Euros, which is simply ridiculous considering the fact that you can find a decent room for just 350 Euro (which I did). And the host families just receive about half of what you pay, the school gets the rest. The same applies to salsa classes,... So I would urge you just to book lessons and nothing else. You will save lots of money!

Date of experience: September 2013
9  Thank --Regensburg--4
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Babylon Barcelona is in a good location, with helpful and enthusiastic staff and interesting classes.
I did the intensive course - 6 hours a day with culture classes and conversation classes and I had a brilliant time. We learned a lot of interesting things, and all classes were in spanish, which gives a great feeling of achievement- to know youve listened to and spoken only in Spanish for 6 hours minimum every day.
The classes are small 10 or less.
The emphasis is very much on the student to practice outside of school and during class and decide if they think they are working at the right level. I decided mine was too high and had no problems changing down a bit.
The after school activity programme looks great and happy miercoles bar visit is fun for meeting your friends and the teachers and other students.
It's not cheap and if you can get cheaper accomodation elsewhere i'd recommend it.
BUT its great fun, you meet lots of people and you learn a lot.

Date of experience: September 2013
3  Thank Kwellerpunk
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I did a one week intensive course here, including a private 1:1 class for medical Spanish. It was a wonderful learning experience; the intermediate intensive class I was in was quite enjoyable and fun. The instructors were great and very helpful as well as the staff. Even the lady downstairs in the building was very helpful: she gave me instructions, on my first day, how to navigate the city (it wasn't my first time :) but how could you not get lost, you're close to the shopping area (Passeig de Gracia and Plaza Catalunya). I'd go there again (Babylon) if I had the chance. NB: One of my classes fell on a holiday (Tuesday) so there were no classes but the school made it up by offering a free excursion in the city. So cool! (other language schools in the area didn't offer make up classes).

Date of experience: May 2012
5  Thank mybluejeanbaby
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I attended a basic intensive course at Babylon Idiomas for 4 weeks; I am a beginners' beginner when it comes to Spanish. I chose Babylon because of these factors: City and location of school, flexibility of course schedule, competitive pricing. In addition, I was most impressed with the help given by the enrollment staff when I called them while I was registering the course and accommodation online. And I am glad that I made that choice. Their programs, academic and extracurricular activities, provided the challenges of learning a new language during the day and the opportunities to practice what we learned during after class rendezvous, mingle with teachers and fellow students, city walks, etc, on top of on premise scheduled culture classes. The teachers are super and the admin staff are always there to help. During my stay with Babylon, I learned a great deal, met a lot of friends and had a lot of fun!

Date of experience: September 2012
3  Thank DONOL L
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I chose Babylon Idiomas Barcelona from among the many choices in the city, primarily because of its convenient location and competitive pricing. In two weeks I learned and practiced a lot of Spanish and was extremely encouraged in my langage learning! I truly hope to return because of the excellent teachers and the overall atmosphere of the school. There are lots of opportunities to interact with students, teachers, and experience the city for those who want organized activities, and there is always someone willing to help! Highly recommended!

Date of experience: May 2012