“Bad paella, but everything else good”

La Botiga Rambla Catalunya
Ranked #4,548 of 10,679 Restaurants in Barcelona
Price range: US$12 - US$29
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Eixample
Description: Situated on la Rambla Catalunya, 27 - between Gran Via & Diputacio.
Reviewed 9 July 2016

I had the worst paella here on my visit and I probably ate it five times. Do not order it. They subsequently told me it was not their specialty. Part of the problem is that they tried to serve it too quickly before I was done eating a previous course. At other restaurants we had time in between courses. I thought España was supposed to be relaxed. Not sure why they did that, since the restaurant was only 20 percent full. Then, it was not hot when they brought it. All they did was not serve it to me instead of keeping it hot. I'm used to a serving pan that you cannot touch. I sent it back to get reheated. I probably should have just set it back--period. If I was in the US I would have, but I was in another country. The other food we had was good, so overall I would recommend the place.

Reviewed 19 June 2016

This place was recommended by our Hachette "Big weekend in Barcelone" guide. Something must have changed after they wrote the book !

The first impression we got was that we were disturbing the waiter.
He literally threw the menu on the table, then kept us waiting for a very long time after we were finished chosing.
He had no excuse, we were the only customers, and he was a few meters from us, doing nothing.

The food was mediocre. I never liked too much cold grease !
A waitress came after that who was nice and smiling, but that was a bit too late ...

Reviewed 6 June 2016 via mobile

We returned two main dishes, I think it was the first time I did it. The waiter was nice but the dishes smelled bad . The hamburger was with too many salt but we ate it any way because we were hungry.

Reviewed 8 May 2016 via mobile

It's a very good place to taste local food, i.e. paella and various types of tapas, except for sangria. The desserts were good too. I didn't like the continuous opening and closing of the door. It is located very close to the center of the town.

Reviewed 6 April 2016 via mobile

I was just looking for a decent place to eat when i chanced upon La Botiga. I ordered the "crunchy" shrimp for appetiser. I was pleasantly surprised how fresh and perfectly cooked the shrimp was on a bet of frisée lettuce resting on a pastry. The dressing was home made mayonnaise with drizzling of shrimp juices which made the dish clean, fresh and tasty. I am now ready for my mains which was stuffed chicken with foie gras sauce. The foie gras sauce was tasty complemented by the pine nuts. Only problem was the chicken was dry. I finished with the creme brûlée which was average. If care was taken as in the appetiser, i would have given it a five star!