“the best.”
Review of Alma Barcelona

Alma Barcelona
Ranked #17 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I stay in hotels all over the world and have never had a better experience than at Alma. Everything is perfect : the staff are fantastic, the rooms are excellent, the beds are ridiculously comfortable, the attention to detail is absolute. The food is also very good - and this in a city of incredible food. The location - right next to Passeig De Gracia in the heart of Eixample. I will never stay anywhere but Alma in Barcelona again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Alma Barcelona

Reviewed 5 December 2011

Beautiful design, excellent location, spacy rooms with modern furniture
Bathrooms are beautiful.
A brand new hotel, with class (although the public spaces were a bit empty when we visited)
Very friendly and helpful staff.
The lobby snacks were excellent. Breakfast was good
I probably would not have dinner there, however, unless more people show up, as the hotel still feels a but empty
Public spaces are beautiful, although a bit on the dark side (they need to cheer up a bit !)
Beautiful outside terrace (which we did not use early december, though)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PhS_11
Reviewed 5 December 2011

The welcome at the hotel was warm and genuine. Every staff member we met had a friendly, professional and helpful attitude. The hotel is elegant, under-stated and ideally situated for exploring this beautiful city on foot. The bed was super-comfortable with the best of pillows. There is no charge for soft drinks from the mini-bar or the internet which cuts out the hassle of paying for small extras. Good food in the restaurant and prompt service. Difficult to see how the Alma could be better but a little more hanging space in the wardrobe wouldn't go amiss.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2011

The staff was excellent and tried very hard to be sure our every request was answered. We walked almost everywhere and they gave us maps and directions. They made dinner reservations for us at two restaurants and they both were excellent. Hotel Location is excellent and within walking distance to many Gaudi sites and shopping. Wonderful hotel, staff, and location.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 5th floor and overlooked the inner courtyard. It was very nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We stayed 6 nights in a Grand Deluxe Room, in November 2011.

Location

The hotel is extremely well located, on the northern part of Paseo de Gracia. This is a posh neighbourhood with plenty of shopping and excellent restaurants. It is however 10 mins away from Plaza Catalunya, the heart of the city and 20-25 mins from the Gothic quarter, Las Ramblas, etc. Taxis are quite cheap, we never dealt with the metro. You will almost never pay more than EUR10. Getting to the old city is around EUR5-7. The surroundings are extremely safe.

Rooms

Let me start by pointing out that (as others reviews have mentioned) the hotels decoration is extremely minimalistic and dark. I enjoy that a lot but my wife said she felt a little depressed which is understandable. The Grand Deluxe room we stayed in was extremely spacious and had a large window overlooking an inner courtyard (a large courtyard made of several buildings, not a small and depressing one). I loved the clutter free and functional decoration but as I said before, my spouse wasn't thrilled.
The room consists of large bathroom with a good sized bath, two faucets and a huge rain shower, a separate toilet (didnt find this disturbing at all as some other reviewers did) and a spacious bedroom. The bed is extremely comfortable, there is a desk near the window, a modern LCD TV, numerous wardrobes and drawers. As I said before, everything is clutterless, functional and modern. The shades are made of wood and when they slide shut, the room is perfectly dark. Good point for late sleepers.
You enter the room by touching the fingerprint reader so no need to carry a key/card around. I thought this was really cool: we didnt need to worry about whether we forgot the cards or who had them...
The minibar is stocked with free soft drinks. Some might criticise the lack of variety but I thought it was good: mineral water, coca cola, fruit juices and a couple of sodas. First time I've seen a free minibar so I think thats a plus.
Oh, I almost forgot the laptop sized safe which is a good bonus even when the hotel feels safe as Alma.
The bathroom is extremely modern and good looking. Very large bath, huge rain shower, two faucets... Perfect. I have never experienced any of the negative drain and water in the room problems I have read in other reviews.
Finally, there is free wifi in all rooms and all of the hotel but it has a tendency to disconnect you every now & then (more like 5 minutes). This was extremely annoying and I hope the hotel will review this limitation.

Didnt use room service so I cant really comment on that. Nor did we have breakfast... A lot of nice breakfast joints in the surrounding areas, no need to pay the hotel for a continental.
I have however asked for help for restaurant reservations / cancellations and asked directions. Staff was extremely helpful and knowledgeable about where to eat. They looked up for train sechedules, called the restaurant to let them know we would be late, etc... I think the negative reviews about service are either extremely unlucky (they probably came across the one rotten apple in the whole market) or ill minded.

Conclusion

This is an excellent hotel. It is extremely well located and offers fabulous service. The rooms are large and well designed but some might find the dark atmosphere a little depressing. I can't think of any other negative issues.

Room Tip: Grand Deluxe Rooms offer plenty of space. I'm guessing regular rooms are large enough so not rea...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple