We chose this hotel through a Thomas Cook Flexible trip brochure and on recommendation from an experienced travel consultant at a local Thomas Cook travel agency. It was to celebrate a fiftieth birthday with a week’s stay in a luxury five star hotel. The break was to be a surprise for my partner, but the cat was let out of the bag, when Thomas Cook sent through marked envelopes in the post with their name on the outside.
Our destination was the El Palace Hotel in Barcelona flying with Easyjet with a private taxi transfer to our hotel.
We got caught up in the bag fiasco at Gatwick airport (power outage on the conveyor belt), but luckily our baggage was transferred without any delay to our destination.
We found the El Palace Hotel in Barcelona a very luxurious hotel with the following excellent points: -
1. Excellent customer service
2. Excellent accommodation
3. Excellent food
4. Excellent location
5. Friendly and helpful staff
The only downside we had a very slow draining bathroom sink after a few days which was not rectified on our first mention of it. It was rectified on the second mention.
The prices for hotel extras we found to be a little on the expensive side, but for a five star hotel I suppose this is to be expected. Overall prices for most items in Barcelona were expensive in comparison to the UK.
If a quiet stay is required, then this is not the right hotel, as it is located on one the main roads into Barcelona. We found our room to be well insulated from the traffic noise though, and we slept soundly on very comfortable beds.
The hotel staff assisted us with excellent service in re-arranging our pick up time on our return journey back to the UK, as this was booked for 5:45am in the morning for a 10:55 flight back to the UK. We did ask the staff at our local Thomas Cook agency to change this, but did not find them very helpful in accommodating this.
Overall our stay was very enjoyable and we would not hesitate in returning to this hotel again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Palace Hotel has been totally refurbished and reopened late 2009. The works have preserved the classic spirit that has always characterised this property, distinguished as a symbol of Barcelona’s hotel tradition. Set in the heart of the city centre, close to Las Ramblas and in the most prestigious shopping area, it is surrounded by boulevards, theatres and main banks. It has an excellent transport connections and it is just 20 min from el Prat Airport.After the restoration, the Hotel will have 125 rooms, 42 of which will be suites and junior suites, all equipped with last-generation technology. A new room design, a soft interior re-decoration of public areas and lounges and the realignment and optimisation of the architectural infrastructure will enhance the beauty and majesty of our Hotel like in the 20’s. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Travel Republic (UK), Hotelopia, Booking.com, Agoda, Ebookers, TravelUp and HotelQuickly so you can book your El Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Palace Hotel Barcelona, Catalonia