“Authentic and tasty Italian food”

Le Cucine Mandarosso
Ranked #1,069 of 11,172 Restaurants in Barcelona
Price range: US$23 - US$46
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Neighbourhood: El Born / La Ribera
Reviewed 6 April 2018

First of all booking is essential - so do that bit first. Turning up and expecting a table is a no no. The staff are enthusiastic and helpful - clearly they are passionate about the food that is cooked and served which is great to see. The burrata that we had to start was a huge chunk of gorgeously moist cheese served simply with rocket and tomatoes - easily enough for 2 or even 4. The 2 fresh pasta dishes were delicious - fresh, tasty, authentic - everything a great pasta dish should be. We were far too full for dessert but they looked delicious too! The wine was also very tasty and the decor - old desks and mismatched chairs - very cosy and fun. We highly recommend this place!

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We discovered this quirky little Italian restaurant while meandering along the narrow streets of BCN. And it looked so cool we popped in to look at the menu for that same night. Just two sittings, 9pm and 10.30 and booking is essential. We had to wait two nights for a table. There was a little group of us queued outside at 9pm and most knew about the reviews by then...recently cited as one of the top ten Italian restaurants in BCN. Originally we’d chosen it as it had lots of good vege options, a short and really interesting menu and fifties school furniture/kitchenware everywhere. That pale blue has little to compare to it.

The staff/surroundings and atmosphere are cosy/homely and the menu was short and exciting and the staff excited by it, which is always heart warming. They were full of dialogue around both the menu and food. Wine menu was good, but it would have benefitted from some craft beer and ale on tap.

We started with antipasto..some surprises in there and not a normal set of vege..and stunning. We had two starters between 4 on their advice and they were right! The plates were huge. The huge creamy chunk of mozzarella was simply served with rocket/toms and was unbelievably rich and tasty. There was great salt and olive oil...which of course is more important than most things and grand balsamic vinegar/pepper.

Me and my mate both had lasagne for our main courses, and my meat fiend of a friend chose the vege one and it was stunning. Layers of interesting vege and herbs and pesto, fresh pasta...he went silent it was so stunning. Mine was of the the meaty kind and of course bore no relation to the usual beef mince lasagne. It was wonderful. My old man and other friend also did well, but I’d recommend both lasagnes if you eat there and I never thought I’d say that. I might even go further, and say..have the vege lasagne.

Puddings were fab, but we were so full, we just had one slice of cake between four. There is a big selection of cakes and traditional Italian treats and I wish I had had the chance to try more.

This is the best Italian I’ve ever eaten at and the surroundings were cool. Come in for cake and coffee...or book for dinner. It will be memorable.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I wrote a review a while back saying it was just average food. But I recently when back there for dinner and it has completely changed my perception about the restaurant! The pastas.. the stratiacela and the desserts where just out of the world. Not the biggest fan of their wine though.. you must try their salads !

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 27 March 2018

We were recommended to this restaurant by our tour guide. Very small but cool restaurant, feels like someone's home right out of Italy. The menu is mostly pasta, and the appetizers are mostly burratas, but both are fantastic. The burrata is very fresh, the mixed vegetables are great, and the pastas (we got lasagna and gnocchi) were great too. Overall highly recommended and it does not feel touristy at all.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

The best food experience we had in Barcelona. The restaurant is small and cosy, and the tables in the back has an overview of the kitchen. Remember to make a reservation, the place is popular. It opened at 9 pm, and was already packed at 9.30 pm.
Make sure to try their burrata cheese starter, it was amazing and good for sharing.

Date of visit: August 2017