For many, Loro Parque is a place to let young kids off the leash and yes families will love it. But for us as a 50 year old couple, we sought peace and stress releasing fun which LP provided in abundance.
Firstly, it's not really a zoo. It has enclosures and each are clearly tailored to suit the occupants and there is a lot of behind-the-scenes work focused on animal welfare to ensure all animals are happy here. There are tours you can take to experience this first hand.
We skipped the shows which I'm sure are great, but we've seen them elsewhere with our children. Sea lions, Dolphins, killer whales.... And of course this park specialises in parrots (Spanish 'Loro')...
So our highlights:
- the first lake - peaceful until feeding time for the koi carp, when they mysteriously become piranha like chasing the food thrown in!
- the penguin house, also containing puffins, is a real treat - they have gone way over an enclosure here and this is a must see
- the jellyfish area is truly amazing , I've not seen that before and thought this the best surprise of the day
- the aquarium with the shark walk is worthwhile too
- the rainforest walk is pleasurable and the treetop aviary experience was perhaps the most relaxing place on our trip
Some really lovely areas to enjoy, especially at times when the shows are on. Plenty more to see also, and maybe the baby chimpanzees and the playful otters are worth a mention.
The food was ok, room for improvement I think but plenty of options to suit all guests.
Down sides? Nothing much, I think the channelling of all visitors to a photo point was not the best way to start, better to have photo points around the park or wandering photographers imho. However you have the photo at the end for 6.5 Euros which seems good compared to on board Ship prices that our cruise line want!
I would have liked more time there than our tour allowed but a day is fine for a visit if you are staying on the island. I'd love to go back there again.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.