“Good... and in a great location.”
Review of El Giraldillo

El Giraldillo
Reserve with
El Giraldillo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,589 of 3,212 Restaurants in Seville
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Casco Antiguo
Reviewed 24 August 2016

The day had been a scorcher, reaching 46C; we had asked the taxi driver to drop us at a good restaurant, but the restaurant he selected had no space; we were directed by an indifferent waiter to another part of town, where tapas bars seemed to be the norm, so you can imagine that tempers are short and feet were weary by the time we discovered Restaurante el Giraldillo.

Although, the location is stunning, overlooking the cathedral square in a prominent corner position, the gaggle of waiters chatting by the entrance seemed unconcerned whether we chose to patronise their restaurant, or not. Nevertheless, the menu looked interesting and because of the humidity, we asked for an ‘inside’ and air-conditioned table.

Once we had passed the entrance test and confirmed ourselves as “serious” customers, I cannot fault the service that we received. It was attentive and yet unobtrusive, our enquiries (in English) were well answered, and our food was delivered promptly and courteously.

It was a hot night and of the three of us only my wife and I took starters; my wife chose the Melón con Jamón Ibericó - hardly testing the prowess of the chef, but the half melon that she received had been neatly scooped into ‘Parisienne’ balls and replaced into the shell and the ham was of the finest quality, expertly and thinly sliced. She declared it delicious! I, however, went for the Gazpacho, which I have to say was exceptionally good, peppery, garlicky and clearly home-made by somebody who understands how to make this traditional soup.

Main course, (well it was our last night in Spain) my wife and I shared the Andalusian Paella, which arrived laden with seafood and (I suspect) traditional rabbit, three gigantic gambas each and properly cooked using saffron rather than the less expensive and annoyingly named ‘colorante’ that is typically used to give paella its yellow colouring. ‘Colorante’ is, according to the package that I picked up in a Spanish supermarket, just about 100% tartrazine (E102), which we all know has been banned from children’s drinks and food, as it causes them to bounce off the walls like demented squash balls; obviously, in this area, the Spanish choose to ignore EU directives!

Our son, who at the age of 15 considers himself to be a bit of an aficionado when it comes to pasta, chose the pappardelle with langoustines and I have to say that this was probably better than our extremely good paella. The pasta was clearly fresh, seafood in great abundance, the sauce was delicately constructed and it was (according to him) the best dish of the holiday!

The adults drank sangria that was well made, bursting with fruit, sufficient triple sec to give a substantial kick and made with a halfway decent tempranillo; the perfect accompaniment.

Having now read the reviews of other patrons, I am surprised. Apart from the initial ambivalence of the waiters in granting us entry to the restaurant, the food was good, the drink was excellent, the staff were courteous and the bill not excessive. I can understand the frustration that some would feel in gaining entry and when this is coupled with the typical mañana attitude, I can appreciate how this annoyance is exacerbated… but if you accept this as “typically Spanish” and look beyond it, the restaurant is extremely enjoyable.

Would I go back for a second helping? Probably yes - there was nothing to put us off a return visit!

Date of visit: August 2016

Reviewed 18 July 2016 via mobile

As the name may indicate, this restaurant basks in the shadows of Seville's magnificent Cathedral and Islamic tower, the Giralda. The food at the restaurant is competent. We had a very good paella, tradionally made and served. The rice was, as it should be, soupy and the seafood bountiful. There are some who say that the dish was invented in Seville, first served to Queen Isabella. The etymology of the word being for her or in Spanish para ella, which in the curt word shortening Andalusian dialect- the parent of Caribbean Spanish- turned out as paella. Who knows but regardless this restaurant does it right. Nevertheless, it location that makes it standout. That and the service we received from the waiter/ operator- a gentleman from Morocco- who went far beyond the call of duty. It is, however, by comparison, expensive.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 2 July 2016

After a long day as a tourist, to dine in a restaurant excellent located fast and good service with the best food is a dream which rarely comes true. Given said that, location is top, with cathedral view. Thus very busy thus the service is not fast, even by European standards. Also it comes normally with overprice, which is the case. Food was not the best ever, but very good. We always order local stuff and rarely go wrong. The lamb and the fish cooked in salt crust meet our expectations. In a nutshell was a good experience, no surprises. Improving the service is what they need and they can do easily.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed 21 June 2016 via mobile

We stopped because we were tired after a long day and wanted somewhere with a view for a meal and spot of people watching against a great vista.

We should have moved on then.

The indifference of the waiter who clearly resents his work, the overpriced bland food, the ants on the table, and our requesting cutlery, serviettes and our wine was astonishing. Never experienced anything like it after a month of great restaurants and tapas bars across Spain.

And the view of the cathedral was spoiled by way too many vain people with selfie sticks posing for their life. Give it a miss.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed 20 June 2016

This restaurant is very well located ....that's where the good points end. The food is overpriced quite tasteless and badly prepared. The service is terrible with indifferent waiters who give the impression that they would much rather be somewhere else!
We ordered a mixed cheese and meat plate to share as a starter........we had barely finished this when a waiter arrived with our main courses....the plates had not been cleared, they hadn't provided fresh cutlery and the waiter became quite irate when I suggested that if I'd wanted fast-food I would have gone to McDonalds. I should mention that there were less than 8 customers in the place at that time so there was no possibility of the kitchen been overstretched.

Date of visit: June 2016