“Good and lovely”

Ranked #48 of 1,752 Restaurants in Granada
Price range: US$23 - US$34
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A place where the authentic japanese food fuses with a good service and good ambient Reservation in advance suggested.
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

We love Masae! Been there many times and always liked it. Just remember to resevate a table earlier because this place is tiny. Ramen and sushi are always good here!

Jesus D, Public Relations Manager at Masae, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2018

Hello!
Thank you so much for your scoring!

We work everyday in order to hear that you are repeating and coming back from time to time. Happy to hear that it worked with you!

Thanks again and have a nice day.

Reviewed 24 March 2018

Maybe my understanding of freshness and professionalism is different.

I came here for lunch upon opening and there was already a queue. I was able to snag a seat at the bar with a good viewing of the head chef.

Sorely disappointed by my overall meal.

First, the fish are not fresh. Many of the fish are kept in the fridge below the counter and they all seem stale. They're poorly wrapped for freshness. How do I know this? I was observing the entire time as the chef was getting the fish out AFTER the doors opened. Huh? Why would you open your doors, and not have everything ready? Confusing. Some pieces of the fish I saw, were very old. With raw fish it's easy to tell if they're fresh or not because of the coloration, as some turn gray. I thought I was seeing things until I saw the chef throwing out pieces of the fish after cutting out the stale parts AND serving the non-discolored parts. I also saw the chef opening a PACKAGED unagi (eel) - the kind that you can get at supermarkets. This was followed by what appeared to be microwaving the eel to serve to guests. WHY go to a restaurant that microwaves packaged food? Just do it at home..

I got the 'sashimi atun y ventresca" and ramen. I didn't finish either because the fish tasted old, and the ramen tasted as if the broth had been seasoned with an over the top amount of salt.

Additionally, I thought a sushi chef should be focused on cutting fish. The chef, while preparing meals for guests, was also coaching what appeared to be a new waiter. I can understand the need to mentor and teach a new waiter, but during actual serving time? That seemed unprofessional to me, as that waiter never checked up on my drinks or food when I was done. I had to push my glass, and dishes towards him to get his attention that I was done.

Overall a sore disappointment and an overrated spot. Pass

Hello Gnodrm.
Let's do it in order:

First, the fish is fresh, the fact that you were looking at pieces of fish from behind doesn't gives you the right to judge their freshness or the sushi chef mastery. Masae has more than 20 years of experience making sushi and your critic took only about 5 minutes, you are not destroying nothing with this. Also, we have to inform you that EVERY not cooked fish sold in spain must be deeply frozen before consumed. This is because the anisakis, and obviously this rest some freshness to the fish, safety first.

Second, you tried something and you didn't liked it. Have you tried to say it to the waiter? Maybe the next time you visit a restaurant develop and extra dose of empathy and think about the people working at your service.

Additionally, if the fact that the chef is mentoring somebody in order to have a good relation with workers does not have influence on your service nor others people service, why are you mentioning it? Please mind your own business.

Also, by looking at your trip advisor profile, we can see that you travelled only one time to spain, tried four places, and never gave a positive opinion about none of them. Please, travel more, relax a little bit, and try to enjoy your life. Your critics will be better and everybody will be happier to serve you.

Cheers.

Reviewed 18 January 2018

We had a reservation so we got a table right away when we arrived. The service was nice but a bit slow. The beer was a tasty draft beer and it was an ejoyable to get a tasty tapas or roasted chicken. We tried two different sushi, both of them were excellent and then we tasted a japanese chicken and vegetable pasta roll which was delicious as well. To end the night we got threated by the house with a sweet sake.

Jesus D, Public Relations Manager at Masae, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Hello AntonioZsuzsi T:

Thanks for your nice scoring. We love to hear you enjoyed our beer and food.
Hope to see you again some day.
Thanks a lot again.

Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

Pros
- super fresh and delicious sushi, they even had fatty tuna ;-))))
- great sake recommendation
- pleasant interior, relatively good accoustics
- very friendly people
- decently priced

Cons
- one minor comment: the free tapas were a kind of breadroll with ham and cheese, a bit off for me when hoping for something japanese

Jesus D, Public Relations Manager at Masae, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

Hello Walterke, thanks for your words and your five stars.
Our harumakis, those bread rolls with ham and cheese, are a proposal from us, an adaptation, and simplification of the well known spring roll, but mixed up with the westerner bikini sandwich. We are sorry that they felt that way, but this is the first time we heard about this. But as your pros are very nice, we thank you again everything and hope you to come back some day! Maybe the next time you are lucky and the tapa is something different.

Cheers.

Reviewed 10 February 2017

We were lucky enough to get the last table during the week and tried the carpaccio of dorado which was superb and tried another "okonomyaki". i would have to say that the latter dish was enough for four people so be warned. Has to be Japanese beer to wash it all down. The locals seemed to gather around the bar sampling the tapas which looked fantastic

Jesus D, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Masae, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2017

Hello Dominic B
Yes you were lucky, we are always telling everybody to make reservation in advance.
We are glad you liked our food and we know people that eats one full okonomiyaki by themselves, so maybe for two...
Hope to see you again soon.
Thanks for your score.