Being first holiday via flight (due to probs) alone, I was very nervous venturing abroad. However, staff (with exception of one) made me feel welcome and I found this hotel to be very comfortable and relaxing.
HOTEL: Spotlessly clean, comfortable. Spent evenings in either entertainment room with comfy chairs and of course my fave cocktails! Or in the foyer whilst reading/people watching. Wasn't brave enough to venture too far at night on own on this occasion.
Not child friendly though (which suited me). No balls/inflatables aloud in pool and no child entertainment. Only saw a few children whilst there. Internet available but costs.
ROOM: Spacious, view side pool/sea view wasn't ideal for me as was in the shade (however it was the 2nd room offered so felt obliged to take it) and I had emailed prior to holiday to request a sea/pool view- so disappointed at this. No radio alarm. Only CNN/World News/BBC1 English channels on TV. That said, didn't spend lots of time in room as wanted to make most of holiday.
STAFF: Most spoke good English. Very friendly and welcoming in restaurant (particularly head waiter) and in bar (offered to carry my cocktail for me). The management here have a main presence as they are always walking around both the building and the hotel grounds and speak regularly to their customers. I had reason to complain to manager about a rude male receptionist who after 10 mins of arriving upset me on 3 occasions - I asked for my bag to be taken to my room as I can't take the lift (claustrophobic). I was told he was on his own - but he didn't offer to sort it out when someone else was there. He was very rude and obnoxious to me. Also, on telling him I wasn't happy with my room view, he said I could go onto 7th floor if I like then I could see whole of Malaga! I told him ok if thats all he could offer. He knew I couldn't take the lift. Amazingly, I was given a room on the ground floor. It was the manager (I later learned) who actually took my bag to my room for me! The other problem was that there are two dinner sittings - expressing that 6 pm was too early to eat and that 7.45 was preferred was told it was full. I was more or less told I would have to eat at 6 first night. After persistence later with different member of staff, he spoke to head waiter and arranged it for me. Manager was brilliant and listened to my concerns.
RESTAURANT: Went half board and had lunch at bars locally overlooking beach. Very obvious that the team of chefs work very hard to provide fantastic food and displays for their guests. Every evening was different dishes-was an absolute pleasure to dine here. Head waiter very welcoming. Big disadvantage here is that table is allocated on arrival where you stay all week. Very embarrassing as in other diners space and vice versa. I had 3 foreign couples whilst there whom I couldn't speak to - very uncomfortable. In fact, this would certainly put me off booking into Riu hotel in future.
POOL: Comfy and clean. Didn't go in water. Noticed a hoist for those who couldn't climb into pool. LIfeguard acting as security also, as gate to prom isn't locked during the day. Sun goes off terrace/pool area at 6 pm end Feb and gets dark at 7.15 pm.
SURROUNDING AREA: Perfect location on the promenade which you can walk left for several miles and right the same. Lovely calm, clean, beaches and around them. Quiet people wise at this time of year. Told sea is always cold all year round.
Along the prom there are groups of ethnic minority guys selling handbags. They look intimidating but don't hassle you (unless you show interest in the bags). The sunglasses guys do try to sell them, but once you say no don't usually hassle.
There are plenty of seats along the prom for those who have difficulty walking and some are in shaded areas. The harbour just a few minutes walk away from the hotel is beautiful and has some designer shops, nice looking bars and restaurants.
TRIPS: Visited Gibraltar on a day trip and went up to the rock by minibus. The tame monkeys and St Michaels cave were enjoyable. Best to book in Viajes Placitour next door (with red and white sign) as probably cheaper (they call them the travel agents). Booked Nerja trip but was cancelled. Other trips available too.
Think I've covered everything! Have a nice holiday. Any further questions feel free to ask.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Adults Only & Half Board Hotel Riu Nautilus opens all year round and is located just off the promenade, right on the beautiful La Carihuela beach. The RIU Classic Hotels offer comfortable rooms and excellent facilities with great leisure and relaxation facilities, as well as international gastronomy. Enjoy a relaxing holiday - whether alone, with family, partner or friends! The location is ideal due to its proximity to Malaga airport AGP (8 km) and Benálmadena (1 km) and invites you to explore the area. The hotel has 293 comfortably furnished rooms and offers many amenities. Relax in our spa or get in shape at the fitness center. 1 outdoor pool, 1 indoor pool. Day and evening entertainment. For lovers of gastronomy, we offer live cooking stations at our main restaurant, a Spanish specialty restaurant, as well as 2 bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Alpha Holidays Limited, Expedia, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Nautilus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Nautilus Torremolinos
- Riu Nautilus Hotel Torremolinos
- Hotel Riu Nautilus Torremolinos, Costa Del Sol, Spain