“Clean & lovely breakfast but noisy and smelly”
Review of Hotel Isabel

Hotel Isabel
Ranked #7 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Overall:
Comfortable hotel well situated right opposite the beach. Very clean, in fact, prestine. A 30 minute brisk walk into Benalmadena, this hotel is pretty much in the centre of Torremolinos beaches.

Breakfast:
Excellent breakfast choice including fresh fruits such as kiwi slices, orange segments and melon every day. Also a fruit bowl with apples, oranges and pears (we stayed in October so I assume you would also have nectarines etc in summer). Small selection of cold pastries with pain au chocolat and croissants. Breads were mini ‘British slices’ and small baguettes with a toaster available as well as a microwave. Hot breakfast buffet consisted daily of Spanish bacon (like streaky bacon), baked beans, scrambled egg, fried egg, boiled egg (always cold) and always something different like mini frankfurters or mushrooms. The cold buffet consisted of a selection of cold ham and salami as well as manchego and edam cheese. Jams, yoghurts, pineapple and peach fruit juices were available in bottles, as well as milk and water. There were a couple of cereals. The coffee machine was surprisingly good, with the café con leche button in mind. The orange juice was my only real gripe, in that it was not orange juice, more like a sweet watery orange drink.

The room:
A bargain as we asked for a bath tub in a non-sea view room, and were subsequently given a sea facing room on the highest, sixth floor. Good start. Lift good. I can imagine this is in high demand peak season. Bed comfortable. Very firm. Not particulary good pillows – too hard for my iiking but I am very fussy. Free flat screen tv with many channels, including BBC1, BBC2 and Channel 5, if that is what you want in Spain. Didn’t use either the safe or mini bar. Air con, I think, was free, but didn’t use it. My only two major gripes were that the bathroom smelled of sewage or really rotten eggs most days and the room was not sound proof at all. I followed an entire conversation one afternoon, coming from the room next door .

The Bar:
Not manned enough during the morning shift. The breakfast waitress is also the bar tender. Bless her, she looked so moody but when I smiled, she was lovely.

The pool:
Perfect for a family house of 5. Really badly thought out for a hotel this size! The maximum capacity is 36, but I would not like to see it full. Very deep with no shallow area so parents beware. Water lovely, and a lovely swim has, even on October 25th! There are about 20 sunloungers in the really tiny garden, adjacent to the road. Don’t use this hotel if you want a quiet poolside area, as it just isn’t available. Also, at this time of year, the sun was gone in the garden by about 4pm or so. If you’re more fussy than I am, then you may not like tired sunloungers with a lot of damp at the leg area of many of them.

Left Luggage/shower for late flights:
Left luggage area small, but there is one. Just ask at reception. Rooms 3 & 4 are located on the ground floor, diagonally opposite reception, past the internet area (one computer). Had a lovely shower and change, courtesy of the hotel before leaving.

Car Hire Search:
Don’t use GoldCar at Malaga Airport. They quoted us 26 euros, then wanted 122 when we got to the desk, You don’t really need a car anyway, especially if you enjoy boulevard walks. Also, Torremolinos train station, at 1 euro 40 cents for a single trip, is only a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel and will take you straight to the aiport. Very good value. A taxi cost us 20 euros and took 10 minutes. The train is 11 minutes.

Any questions, just ask :).

P.S Would I stay here again? One night, yes...longer - no.

Room Tip: Book a standard room in low season and ask for a bath tub - the only rooms with baths face the sea a...
5  Thank Clairebear69
jesuspeinado, Gerente at Hotel Isabel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2011

Thank you for your stay and for making such a broad description made ​​even though there are aspects of the establishment with which you do not agree. Sorry that you have not been comfortable with us and don’t consider us for more than a one night. I hope that in the future you will visit again and check whether we have improved in those areas where you feel that we fail. Thank you again.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Isabel

Reviewed 25 October 2011

Just returned from a week's stay at the Hotel Isabel. What an absolute gem of a hotel! Spotlessly clean, suberb breakfast, efficient and friendly staff. This was my first stay at this hotel, however I will be returning! The hotel is in a great location with suberb views from the "sea view" rooms. It's charm also lies in the fact that it is small enough to offer that personal touch often missing from the larger hotels in this area. The staff should be really proud of what they have all achieved here.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank SB416

All employees of the Hotel we try to make our customers enjoy a comfortable a family atmosphere. This is why we maintain a more personal treatment, which perhaps is helped by the small size of the hotel. Thanks for visiting us for the first time and I hope you choose us again soon.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

My wife and I have just arrived home after a 10 day stay in the Hotel Isabel, our fourth visit in as many years during October. I agree with everything the previous reviewer (cardking) says about the hotel, in fact we discussed the exact points in the hotel garden whilst sun bathing. The hotel staff go the extra mile to please, from the reception and cleaning maids to the dining staff, especially Carmen who mixes a mean Sangria. It was even good to see the hotel director smiling with his new baby and family while socialising in the garden area, although he his serious during breakfast. A bonus is free WiFi in the rooms but although there are fridges and safes in room they are charged, would be an added bonus if included in the room price. Will definitely be back again next year.

Room Tip: Higher floors have more sun and during October the sea view rooms lose the sun mid afternoon
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Thanks for visiting again. Both I myself and all staff are delighted with your comments and as you have seen for yourself how happy I am with the birth of my son. My personal email is direccion@hotelisabel.net if you should need anything or require information on availability for specific dates. Regards

Reviewed 15 October 2011

Just returned with my wife from a 4 day break at Hotel Isabel and there was absolutely nothing to fault it.

We had a sea view corner room and and the balcony was bathed in sunshine all day. Ours was on the left front corner of the hotel if you are looking at it from the sea. A sea view room on the front without the corner balcony will lose the sun mid afternoon. The room was spotless as was the rest of the hotel.

The management, receptionist and bar staff couldn't do enough for us. We requested a late check out but was told that our room was not available but they would allow us to use another room for half an hour before leaving to shower and change. This was ideal as there was no extra cost and it allowed us to relax on the last day even with a 10pm flight back.

The bar drinks were reasonably priced in the hotel but if you bought your own wine from the supermarkets they would happily open the bottles and provide glasses for use in the room.

The breakfast was superb with plenty to choose from, Hot food was bacon, fried/scrambled egg, each day and this was supplemneted by a couple of other hot dishes which changed daily. Cereals, toast, fruit, yoghurt and do-nuts were also available and the buffet style worked well.

I was amazed at how full the hotel was considering it is "out of season" but we never had any problem getting sun beds.

I was advised that room prices were going up for next season (2012) which is understandable due to the quality of the hotel. I just hope they don't price themselves out of the market.

Location wise it was excellent and we enjoyed our morning/early afternoon walks along the front and even in 30 degree temoperatures amanged to reach the Marina area at Benalmedena stopping several times though for a "Cerveza" and small paella or sardines. I would guess that this walk was roughly 2.5 miles each way but it definitely seemed longer.

I would recommend this to anyone.

2  Thank CardKingPJH
jesuspeinado, Gerente at Hotel Isabel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2011

We try our best to offer our complimentary room for customers who leave the hotel late. Thanks for noting this service. With regard to prices of 2012 there will be a slight rise. Also I’d like to inform you that this winter we will make some improvements to the pool area and therefore will be closed until March next year

Reviewed 9 October 2011

My wife and I just returned from a 15-day stay at Hotel Isabel. That hotel fully deserves its #2 ranking on TripAdvisor.

This is a relatively small (70 rooms) hotel which is relatively new or has recently been renovated. It looks new and modern both inside and outside.

The hotel was very clean, both the public areas and our room. We had a standard room with side balcony with a good view of the sea. The room was quite spacious with a Queen size bed and a large bathroom with walk-in shower. The AC was efficient and above all quiet. It had a flat screen TV which we did not use once.

The room includes a safe for which the hotel charges 2.50 Euro per day. There is also a mini-fridge in the room for which again one has to pay a daily charge for its use. Since we were staying for 15 days, we had the option to buy upfront 20 Euro worth of mini bar supplies (water, beer, etc.) and you get access to the mini-fridge for the duration.

We did not find these charges exorbitant for a European hotel. We booked through Expedia and our daily hotel rate for our stay (including the safe and mini-fridge) came out at Canadian $121.00, including breakfast (buffet type with a wide choice of eggs, beacon, fruits, cereals, pastries, etc.) and WiFi.

The hotel is located right across the beach and walking distance (though uphill/but a good exercise) from the train and bus stations which we used extensively during our stay. It is also near a wide array of restaurants serving Spanish, Italian and North American food. There are also several Pubs in walking distance from the hotel. A grocery store is located behind the hotel, 2 minutes walk.

We found the hotel staff very helpful and always smiling.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our first stay on the Costa del Sol thanks in large part to the hotel and its staff.

To put things in perspective, my wife and I are experienced travelers (both business and leisure). We would not hesitate to recommend that hotel to anyone visiting the Costa del Sol.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rod541

For your information the hotel was completely refurbished in 2005 however you have seen how important the cleaning is for us through the establishment. Thank you for comments about the options we have with the mini bar and regarding to our employees. I hope to have you back to our hotel.