See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

Booked here as a last minute holiday with my partner. Rooms were perfect. Cleaned every day, and towels changed daily too. Was plesently surprised they had air conditioning as we didn't expect it from a hostel. It is 5 minute walk to the beach and all the restaurants and just a half hour walk to the old town which is well worth the visit.
This area is not tourist oriented which we weren't aware of when booking. However we were so happy to see the real Spanish culture. Seafood is to die for in this area. However I would recommend to learn a couple of Spanish phrases as not many speak English here (which is the way it should be) despite us having very few Spanish words everyone has been super nice and helpful. Would really recommend staying here if you want to see a typical Spanish area.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2016

I really really liked my time here - and I got to experience a room downstairs and one upstairs. The upstairs has easier access to a lovely terrace with two sun loungers and some tables and chairs, and it's quite shaded by the overhanging plants, though plenty of sun makes its way on to the terrace for those who want it. And downstairs there are more tables in a kind of courtyard terrace, again shaded from the direct glare of the sun. I preferred the upstairs one myself.
There's a small kitchen with fridge where people can leave food/ water etc and there's a drinks machine and grill etc there too, and another small table. The place is spotless - thoroughly cleaned every day - and the staff couldn't be more helpful.

It does seem to close the door at around 4pm though there is a notice with a phone number to ring on the door. The 'sister' hotel, the Elcano, just up the road, has some system of opening doors if you go up to them, or ring the number. But it can be a bit disconcerting if you don't know what to do ------ I met some people from Latvia who were at a bit of a loss as to how to get in, and I think the notice is only in Spanish though I could be wrong about that.
There is a place just across the road that serves delicious coffees and breakfasts, and it's only five minutes' walk, if that, to the sea and all the restaurants and cafes there. It's very easy to get a bus to Málaga town centre, the service is very regular and the stops very close to the hostal.

Room tip: I think it's nicer upstairs because of the terrace but there isn't a lift so if you can't climb stairs ...
Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had a chance to sleep in that place. Rooms are nicely decorated and cleaned every day. Location is not in centre however if you not aim that it is very easy to get there. District is nice and friendly with a beach in 5 min walking distance.
The problem is service and general organisation - there is hard to communicate since there is one person speaking basic English. Moreover we faced organisation issue (booking was not done as it was suppose) - therefore we lost time and money. Pity because place has potential.

Room tip: If you decide to book a place there - try double times to confirm everything and pay only when you see that everything is ok.
Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Kaszmir
Reviewed 28 May 2014

El Nogal is a nice small hostal, which offers a reasonable room for little money. The Hostal's location is quite good, close to the beach, supermarket, telebanco, and close to a bus-station, where you can take a bus tot the city-centre. Our room was quite spacious, but a bit shabby. The beds were creaking quite a lot and we couldn't get the TV to work. There was a small patio, so it was possible to sit outside. All in all, it was a very decent hostal, not fantastic, but a good option for a low-budget stay in Malaga. The woman running the hostal was also very friendly and helpful.

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
1  Thank HtenHertog
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Don’ t give your credit card number to Hostal Nogal: they use it as they want! My sister gave her credit card number to book one night for me as a present; when I arrived at the Hostal, I had to pay in cash. And that’s ok. Before leaving the Hostal I booked for another night 5 days later, but then I decided to cancel that booking, because Nogal is too far from the airport: I called them but nobody was able to understand neither English neither Italian! So my sister sent them an e-mail in Spanish but nobody answered so I thought it was ok. That night I slept in the airport…and some days ago my sister discovered that they charged the cost of that night on her credit card without telling her or me anything! If they were able to understand English, I could have cancelled my reservation for free on time by telephone, or if they answered by e- mail explaining it was too late to cancel the reservation and they were going to charge me anyway, I would have slept there even if far from the airport!!! And also note that when I booked the they could understand, instead when I wanted to cancel it they didn’t! BEWARE! They are sly and dishonest

Date of stay: April 2013