“One of my Favourite Hotels”

Hotel Villa Guadalupe
Ranked #23 of 90 Hotels in Malaga
Chichester, United Kingdom
“One of my Favourite Hotels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

The hotel is about 7km from the centre of Malaga in a suburb of expensive houses, sitting on top of a hill overlooking the city.

A bus at the bottom of the hill (1.20 Euro each way) or a taxi take you into town, but if you want to spend every day on the beach and every night in clubs and bars, look elesewhere.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a beautifully presented small hotel with free car parking (try getting that in Malaga centre), easy access to the motorway and the mountains, excellent food served in what must be the best restaurant view in Malaga, friendly staff, clean, spacious rooms (some with a superb view) and a peaceful night's sleep, then Villa Guadalupe is highly recommended.

A word about the restaurant. The food is high quality chef prepared cuisine with a good choice on the menu. Prices are not cheap, but good value for the quality, service and ambience, however the fixed 3 course meal offered to guests is of the same high quality and is superb value. There is also a good selection of wines at (by UK standards) reasonable prices

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Peter C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Korean first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

This is a very nice small hotel, right on the top of a hill in a subdivision of luxury homes. It has wonderful views over the city of Malaga, and the distant ocean. When you enter, it feels almost as if you're in a private home, except for a small reception booth by the door. There is a hallway where you can sit - it has a television and magazines. There is the dining room with beautiful views, and a bar.

I found the staff very friendly and helpful, and the people in the evening spoke excellent English. The lady in the morning only spoke Spanish but she was very friendly and helpful too.

We stayed in a lovely room with a balcony with a wonderful panoramic view and shelter from the sun (when hot). The beds (twin) were hard but very comforatble and we had a good night's sleep. The decorations were pretty and individual. I think the owners might have a friend who is an artist.

There was a nice marble bathroom, and very hot water. I had some issues with the ventilation of the bathroom, though, although I didn't mention this to the owners, so perhaps something could have been done. So I would not mark it down for that.

We had a meal in the evening. It was very nice but service was extremely slow and amateurish, I don't think the pleasant young guy serving had any kind of training. He tried to memorise our order and got it wrong. The food was fine, I would not say the best I have had but very acceptable and it was lovely to eat with this wonderful view. Prices were more expensive than in town.

The staff did seem to want to help and be friendly and welcoming. This is a big plus for me and very, very important in any hotel. I can overlook small flaws in a hotel if it has friendly helpful staff.

At breakfast time, I wondered at first if the breakfast would be nice as it was tucked away in a very small space at one end of the dining room. But actually it turned out to be very nice with some interesting things to eat, little custards in pots, galette yogurt (which I hadn't had before) and fresh baked croissants and bread, cheese, and very good coffee. I don't eat a hot breakfast so I am not sure if they had one, I don't think I saw a heated cabinet.

I don't like jam in little plastic pots but I have found this everywhere in Spain, so I can only assume that it is what people expect.

If you have a car you can drive to various places. We didn't have a car, and took a taxi. That was fine because we were only staying in the hotel that evening. But it was 7 or 8 euros from the town and it might be more going back because you have to call the taxi to collect you. It is possible to have little walks from the hotel, but they are mainly round the subdivision, the houses and views are beautiful if you like looking at houses. We rather enjoyed our walk.

On the whole I would suggest this hotel if you have your own car and want a quiet time almost in the country but within reach of the town. You don't feel you are just a number or a client here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view or a nice balcony - I don't think all the rooms have the good view...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charles1832
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed two nights this week at this lovely establishment. We chose it based on reviews on Tripadvisor and we weren't disappointed!
We had a car as we had taken our time exploring from Madrid down to Malaga. What I will say is u will need a car/moped to get up ans down the hill from the town. Well u could walk but it is steep. The villa has the most amazing views. The couple running the place were so helpful and warm and welcoming. The restaurant has the best views. A must for a night in. We got a standard room very cheap from Expedia. It was on the 1st floor (villa entrance and restaurant appear to be on ground level but are the 4th floor. Our room no. 11 had awesome views of Malaga and the port too. Room was cosy,clean,comfortable. Only about 5kms from Malaga and there is a bus at the bottom of the hill. I cannot recommend this place anymore. It is truly amazing and great value. I put 4 stars for location just for anyone who might not have their own transport to get up and down to that marvelous view!

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank MaresBrisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

The hotel was fairly small so the service was fantastic from the owner who speaks fluent english. the views of the town and sunset were out of this world. And the food, especially the chefs 'deal of the day' was absolutley devine. Not the place to stay for nightlife, but if you want romance or relaxation then this place ticks all the boxes!!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Dust381
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

The hotel, situated high above the city, has excellent staff and comfortable spacious rooms. The set evening meal was good value; breakfast could be more substantial.
Not easy to find - better signage from the main road through Puerto del Torre would help.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple