All reviews roof terrace dona lola safety rules brick bbq tennis courts steam room and sauna first floor road noise huge patio uncrowded beach small pool towels and bedding apartment was very clean asked reception cooking utensils bedroom unit small market
Reviewed 18 July 2017

We spent last week in Villicana and had a lovely time. The staff were great...every single one of them, polite and friendly. The unit was very clean and spacious with a modern feel. The only strange thing was twin beds in a one bed unit....no romantic getaway!!!
The restaurant/bar was lovely ...Gina and Luis were great hosts - strangely it was quiet at times, even happy hour which was good value. The pool areas were clean and relaxing, at times we were the only people on the sunbeds next to the little pool! The whole grounds were immaculate, probably the nicest we have seen and all the staff took real pride in their role of maintaining the high standards. We did have a roof terrace but the weather was so hot we didn't use it, preferred to stay by the pool under an umbrella! Don't be put off by the location, the surroundings are scruffy but the village over the bridge is beautiful and the restaurants great. The beach is nearby and clean but again a bit disappointing in terms of its access appearance.The transfer was a little expensive but worth it!

Room Tip: Some have gardens, ours was next to the small pool which was great. Check the type of beds you have.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank janeymooli
Reviewed 17 July 2017

We enjoyed staying at MacDonald Villacana Resort for three weeks in June-July 2017. We were there with two kids. The hotel is located in a short walk to the beach and very close to bus stops where we caught buses to Estepona and Marbella. We went on several bus excursions through the resort and had a very good experience with the local guide and bus service. The resort has one restaurant that has very reasonable prices and good food. I wish there were more activities for little kids. There is one small playground next to the front office which is ok for a couple of kids, but it can get crowded and with only one bench for the parents we sometimes had to skip it. Luckily, there was Villacana Pony Club very close to the hotel and we were able to sign up our older daughter for riding lessons which she loved. The resort has a tiny gym but the equipment is pretty old. I was able to use it, but my husband had to sign up for a month at the local gym across the street.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Armed Forces Vacation Club
2  Thank mariabZ2994NL
Reviewed 26 June 2017

I will try to write as honestly and fairly as I can. Villacana will suit many people very well ,but unfortunately it didn't suit my husband and I. Our apartment 222 was for us a nightmare, due to the traffic noise from the motorway and also the road running past our apartment, also I was unable to access the roof terrace due to having M.S. The 2 single beds were like bricks, so I had a sleepless night. I contacted reception the next morning (Sunday) to ask for a different apartment away from the road noise, bur was told they were full. I asked reception if I could speak with the manager and I was told that he would be in on the Monday ,and I was told that reception would send him an email.I also asked for toppers for the bed which made a great difference.By Monday afternoon 2pm I went back to reception to be told that the manager was still not in, so I asked for the RCI number in Malaga.I asked reception to make the phone call for me which he did, but I was told it was probably their lunch break, and after ringing the number I was told, sorry they are at lunch,and it would be 4 pm before I could speak to them. I then webt back to my apt. and phoned RCI from my mobile and surprise suprise it was answered by a very pleasant man, who after listening to my problem, told me RCI had 4 apts and that he would have to phone reception to find out if they were atill available, if not he could move us to Crown Resorts Marbella. When he phoned reception he was told that he could not speak to them until 3 pm as they were on their lunch who deals with it. Rci phoned me to tell me this and that they would call me back, which they did and was told there was a 2 bed with balcony away from the road noise and that we could have it. I had now spent 2 days of my 7 day holiday sorting this out, and still no word from the manager.We then started to unwind and tried to enjoy our holiday, but soon realised this was not the resort for us. Villacana is a very pretty resort with beautiful gardens and looks like a Spanish village, one that you would like to visit but not stay. There was no entertainment on at night, which meant we had very quiet evenings apart from the Friday night, when we went down to the beach bar where a saxophanist was playing and we even enjoyed dancing to his music. I went to reception on the Friday afternoon just to see if the manager was there and he was. I had a very constructive meeting with him where he did pologise to me and said he should of contacted me. As compensation for all the upset he waived the electricty charge and gave us a bottle of wine, which made me feel much better.We will not return to Villacana as I do not like the resort and I would be worriedif we did which apt we would be allocated as some are great and some are not. Apt 142 was a very good one as it had a balcony and was in a quiet position, but I was glad to be going home to my bungalow with my lovely garden and no stairs. .I love going to Spain normally but not this time, nest time we will go to Leila Playa as we love it there

Stayed: June 2017
6  Thank tbaginski
Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

We have been to the area before as we have relatives in the Villacana resort by the see. We opted to hire one of the apartments that are timeshare in the same resort but a bit further from the sea. The setting was lovely, the standard of the apartment was very good and generous. There were a couple of items that stopped it getting close to a 5. The first was that we were at the part closest to the duel carriage way which could be heard through the night, it was not that bad but if a bike went past you could hear it. The other point was that with the shutters & windows closed it was very dark & dingy. We only popped over to have a long weekend with our family and a day out in Estapona was enough for us. If as we have before been for longer periods you need to have transport to make the best of the area.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OriginalOldGoat
Reviewed 3 May 2017

Every thing was excellent! The only problem is it's hard to find...we need better directions ...the view was fabulous...mountains and sea! The restaurants in the resort wee all very good! The flamingo dancers were outstanding!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Armed Forces Vacation Club
2  Thank adbeeler1
Sebastián U, General Manager at Macdonald Villacana Club Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2017

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the excellent review.