“Worth a try”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Shakespeares
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I've just returned from a medium sized breakfast at Shakepeare's. It comprised 2 rashers bacon, 2 sausages, 2 eggs, 1 slice toast and either beans or tomatoes. Price €4.50. This was washed down by a pint of San Miguel for €1.50. whilst the eggs, beans and bacon were tasty, the breakfast was let down by what appeared to be low quality deep fried sausages and the toast was hardly toasted at all. This was already served spread with what tasted like margarine and could have been improved upon if served separately with butter.

Overall for the price, it was good but there is room for improvement. The waitress was very pleasant.

Sitting close by was a young couple who asked another couple if they had ordered food and if not, to give it a miss as it wasn't good. He commented that the bread in his breakfast was stale. Perhaps that was the lightly done toast. That said, he didn't leave much on the plate. I don't know what his girlfriend had, but she refused to eat hers.

The meal for the other couple arrived and immediately, possibly influenced by new "friends", I heard "I can't eat that". There was fat on his steak (baguette). Once finished, i hear him tell the waitress that the baguette was good but he cannot eat fat.

Whilst awaiting my bill I noticed a board stating tea, coffee or orange juice served with all breakfasts. As I hadn't been offered any, the tip, which I otherwise would have given, was not forthcoming.

I did eat Sunday lunch there two or three years ago and it was very good but I don't know if it is still owned by the same people.

Reviewed 11 July 2011

My family and I had breakfast every day bar one, which we ate in another bar nearby (which was not good at all). So we had all our meals at Shakespeares.
The Battered Cod is to die for (It was Huge), the Roast Dinners were as good as my Gran used to make (Real gravy).
The staff are very friendly and attentive, they went the extra mile to accommodate out children who are fussy eaters.
I commentated on how clean they kept their toilets and she invited me to look in the kitchen which was also spotlessly clean, especially considering the amount of food they were serving every day. I was well impressed.
My family and I will certainly visit them again when we return in September.