Open today: 09:00 - 21:00
Review Highlights
Excellent Museum

They cover the area that is Cadiz in a chronological order. They start with the Phoenicians and... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
txtfa001
Austin, Texas
Impressive archeological restauration!

We visited this impressive archeological museum, the entrance was free since the second and third... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

from US$30.00
from US$167.58
from US$136.83
More Info
All reviews contemporary art the ground floor first floor eu citizens roman artifacts early history interesting pieces three floors on display roman times spread over floors a mixed bag grave goods main theme upstairs gallery fabulous collection worth a visit
Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

A fantastic museum to visit for an hour or so. Ground floor has an archeological history of Cadiz. The exhibitions are really very good, including Phoenician and Roman exhibits. Also on on the ground floor is an exhibition of contemporary Spanish art. Floor 1 has religious art and floor 3 more contemporary art.

The scale of the exhibitions rooms make them very accessible ( set in an old court yard building ). A very pleasant and educational way to spend an hour or two in “cool” surroundings

The only downside was the exhibit labels on the Ground floor were only in Spanish but with “Mr Google” it was easy to figure things out.

Entrance is free for EU citizens ( ID required- driving license or passport ).

Date of experience: August 2018
3  Thank Paulhea
Reviewed 9 July 2018

Had a great afternoon in this extremely interesting museum in a beautiful little square. Free entrance and well laid out.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 27 June 2018

EU citizens (a driving licence being sufficient proof of nationality) can visit this museum free of charge.

This is a lovely little museum, on three floors, located on the Plaza de Mina. We had time to explore just the first two floors. The ground floor contained some fine historical exhibits, notably those relating to the Roman period. Particularly unusual were two large sarcophagi dating to the Phoenician period – we’d not seen anything like this anywhere else. The first floor, dedicated to fine art, was also really interesting to look round, with some exceptional Spanish art – notably pieces by Zurbaran and Murillo.

We were very pleased that we’d taken time to call in, and only wished that we’d had time to explore the remainder of the exhibition, which focussed on ethnography and contemporary art. There seemed to be very few other visitors on the day we attended, which meant we could take our time to enjoy the exhibits without any pressure to move on, as can sometimes happen in more well-known museums.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

Went late afternoon and had the place to ourselves. Lots to see and very well laid out. Make sure you pick up guide as very little in English.

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

It is supposed to be a free museum. I was asked at the entrance where I was from and I said I’m American. The woman told me I had to pay. The couple right before being from Spain it was free. I have family ancestry on Spain so I was insulted that Americans have to pay. It’s not about the money it’s principal. Had she say we ask for a donation it’s a different story. I was with four other people who were grsnted free entrance because they were from a variety of EU countries. In the US we don’t charge people entrance fees based on where they are from. I felt this was racist and basically let them know this was unfair. Well they did finally grant me free admittance because I made my point that at the Metropolitan Museum this is not done. It ruined the whole experience as I felt judged based on where I’m from. The museum itself is nothing special. The exhibit are lacking. Very few items in museum. There was one Ribero, one Rubens not impressed with this museum at all.

1  Thank thetuscans