“Lots of surprises”

Museum of Cadiz
Ranked #11 of 112 things to do in Cadiz
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Archeology, fine arts and ethnology museum. Important collection of Phoenician World and Murillo, Zurbarán, Rubens, Zuloaga, Sorolla, Miró... paintings
Reviewed 27 June 2018

Went late afternoon and had the place to ourselves. Lots to see and very well laid out. Make sure you pick up guide as very little in English.

All reviews
"upstairs gallery"
"pre roman"
"medina sidonia"

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

It is supposed to be a free museum. I was asked at the entrance where I was from and I said I’m American. The woman told me I had to pay. The couple right before being from Spain it was free. I have family ancestry on Spain so I was insulted that Americans have to pay. It’s not about the money it’s principal. Had she say we ask for a donation it’s a different story. I was with four other people who were grsnted free entrance because they were from a variety of EU countries. In the US we don’t charge people entrance fees based on where they are from. I felt this was racist and basically let them know this was unfair. Well they did finally grant me free admittance because I made my point that at the Metropolitan Museum this is not done. It ruined the whole experience as I felt judged based on where I’m from. The museum itself is nothing special. The exhibit are lacking. Very few items in museum. There was one Ribero, one Rubens not impressed with this museum at all.

1  Thank thetuscans
Reviewed 16 June 2018

As others have highlighhted, this is an excellent museum, especially the superb Phoenician collection. However, the explanatory labels for the objects are (naturally) only in Spanish. There is though a free leaflet which you can get on entering the museum. This is in several other lanuages. The English language version is very useful when going round the exhibits. It's not hugely detailed but makes the context of the objects clearer.

The objects are displayed very simply; so much so that it is easy to miss their significance, so I'd recommend having a quick overview, reading the leaflet and then going back round againmore slowly/

On a practical level, there are very clean toilets in the museum, though no shop

Reviewed 21 May 2018

This is a typical Spanish provincial museum. Not very large nor very well kept. But since the history of Cádiz is so interesting it's worth a visit for an hour or so. We only saw the ground floor. Interesting pieces from Phoenician and Roman times. The Mina square is also a very nice place :)