We stayed in this hotel spontaneously after deciding to drive longer than planned on our way back from Scandinavia. We first went to Timmendorfer Strand, but that place looked too snobby, so we moved on to Travemuende.
Here this hotel isn't hard to spot, because it is very tall (35 floors) and directly at the mouth of the river flowing into the sea. From an architecture point of view, the building is ugly, but it turned out work perfectly for us.
We arriving at about 6 pm and asked for a room for 3 (parents + child). They had about 6 rooms left and offered us a double room with extra bed for a good price. On top they asked us for our favorite drinks and had them delivered to our room which was a very nice gesture. So we went with the offer.
We got a room in the 10th floor overlooking the river mouth and the sea. This was perfect, because this is the ideal spot to watch the big ferries (TT line and Finline) to go by. It is an impressive sight and the low frequency noise of their huge motors is very impressive and in no way disturbing.
Interior wise, the room was fine as well. The bed were good. Internet also ok, but they only offered wired access (30 minutes for free).
We also ate at the ground floor restaurant. The food was very good and arriving on a Saturday, there was also an enormous buffet to choose from. At the same time they also offered a la cart. The specific dietary needs my wife needs were also attended to with all the flexibility that was needed.
Breakfast on the next morning was also at the same place and saying that it was plentiful is gross understatement. They had tons of things including a lot of fish, sausages, cheese, cerials, breads, fruits, hot stuff, tons of juices, sparking wine and so on. Being someone who tends to go for breakfast late, I often see the cleaned plates. But not here, they still had more than enough of everything and given it was a Sunday, you could stay there till noon.
What is also great is that the beach starts directly in front of the house. There is also a big playground nearby which allows the kids to get their needed outlet after hours of driving.
So all in all we had great value for our money. The only reason I don't give 5 stars is that I reserve those for really truly awesome places that blew me away.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With its prime oceanfront location right at the mouth of the Trave, this fabulous hotel affords guests unparalleled views over the Bay of Lübeck and Mecklenburg. The wide, sandy beach starts at the hotel and entices sunbathing, swimming and leisurely strolls. At 117 metres tall, the maritime illumination atop the hotel makes it one of Europe's highest lighthouses. Enjoy the breathtaking views over the ocean and watch the graceful cruise ships as they leave the Trave to enter the Baltic and vice versa. Speaking of graceful, the historical four-masted steel barque "Passat" is moored across from the hotel. The Baltic is a four season affair - as invigorating in winter as it is relaxing in summer. Business traveller or holidaymaker, its wondrous natural beauty and numerous cultural highlights ensure every stay is unforgettable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Stayforlong S.L., Travel Republic (UK), 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Maritim Strandhotel Travemunde reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Strandhotel lübeck
- Maritim Strandhotel Hotel lübeck