All reviews martin luther king free parking protestant reformation one night large room perfect view across the road two nights kitchenette castle history fan barrier wifi thesis town luggage
Reviewed 24 September 2017

We were doing our own "Martin Luther" tour & for that, this hotel was perfect. Located directly across from the Schlosskirche, we had a perfect view of the door where Luther nailed his 95 Theses. The room was very spacious with a small sitting alcove adjoining the bedroom. Everything was very clean, bed was comfortable and breakfast was ample. We enjoyed a tasty dinner there one evening. The staff was cordial & helpful.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank penguinquest
Reviewed 7 September 2017

We stayed in the Martin Luther King room for one night. We arrived in Wittenberg earlier then planned (about 2:30pm). The staff welcomed us and allowed us to check in. To get to the parking lot of the hotel, you need to continue down Pfaffengasse even when it looks like a cobblestone walk path. It will not take long to see the barrier gate on the right and the reception staff will open the gate.

The room is so spacious, clean, and has wonderful amenities. The view of the Castle Church is amazing! It was an experience that I will not forget. I felt well taken care of by the staff of the hotel and you cannot help but get swept away with the history in this town.

I felt the price of the room was well worth the experience you gain. You are next door to the information center where you can get the 3 hr audio tour. All of the sites concerning the Reformation is a doable walk from the hotel. We enjoyed the delicious breakfast at the hotel before checkout.

There is also quite a bit of history in the hotel itself. The room is equipped with a small binder of information in addition to the history of Martin Luther King Jr. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is looking for a special experience to enjoy the 500th Anniversary of the Protestant Reformation.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Jacquelyn D
Reviewed 6 August 2017

We spent 3 nights here at the end of a three week stay in Germany. We arrived early, expecting to just be able to leave our luggage until we could book in, but found the staff welcoming and friendly and our room was ready for us to move straight in. Although our room did not overlook the famous 'thesis doors', it was pleasant and spacious and almost more a suite with a separate dressing area and bathroom round a corner. The building is old but has been tastefully decorated. Everything about the room and the care we received showed the commitment to service of the staff. This hotel is not inexpensive, but it is well worth the money for the experience.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the church are most desirable, but our courtyard facing room was fine.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2017

I picked this hotel for my parents' golden wedding anniversary, and we couldn't have been happier. Rooms, service, and location were all superb! Both of our rooms were very large, clean, and tastefully appointed. The Alte Canzley prides itself on "subtle charm" and that is exactly what you are going to get. While our room had a view of the garden, my parents' room faced the "Theses Doors" of the Schlosskirche right across the street. In addition to the great location, I was very impressed by the personal service we received. I had ordered a bouquet for my parents in advance and Mr. Zorn of the Alte Canzley had the most beautiful flowers waiting for them.
In sum, I can highly recommend this historic hotel and its very friendly, helpful staff.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2017

Our room had a kitchenette, along with a fantastic view of Castle Church. Everything was great! Todd, in charge of the front desk, was fantastic. We ended up leaving a belonging behind, and he and Bianca made sure that it was mailed to us in America! They really went out of their way to make sure we got our money's worth!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple