All reviewsthe executive loungetrain stationchampions bargreat hotelold townshopping malltwo double bedsparking garagemain stationexcellent locationfitness roomtypical hotelquiet roomearly checkchristmas marketvery pleasant staywalking distance
Reviewed 15 January 2018 via mobile

I've stayed in my fair share of Marriott hotels and this one is very comparable. Great workout and pool area and an even better location.

We came for the Christmas Markets; which were only a couple of blocks from the hotel. There is a mall literally across the street as well with many food options nearby.

The rooms are your standard Marriott flavor; clean and organized. The staff was very friendly and helpful...even when overwhelmed with customers. Overall I would recommend it as a place to stay if you have plans to be in the downtown area.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Kendle S
Reviewed 5 January 2018

We had very bad experiences staying at Leipzig Marriott for 5 nights over the New Year's break. The only good things we found about it are: location (very central), room size and cleanliness, kind service, and tasty breakfast a la carte when they finally bring it to the table. Sadly this is where it ended and we found it to be a very disappointing experience and second worst hotel after 1 star Paris hotel in our student days way back when and after many years of travel all over Europe and US.

The main issues were:
1. Room: We had a deluxe room, with a king size bed and an extra bed for our son. The bedding is hard and uncomfortable, the mattress is foam, which is hard, it's covered by soft fabric but it doesn't make it much better. The pillows are synthetic and not soft, the sheet and bed covers also feel synthetic, rather than cotton. We were told by the Front desk that all the rooms in the hotel and other Marriott hotels are like that, even executive suites. Our air con wasn't working properly to start with and was very noisy, so had to be turned off at night, hence we were hot at night. All this made it impossible to sleep, and every night I fell asleep only around 2am after a double dose of sleeping pills. Lastly, even the courtyard room didn't save us from the noise of crackers banging outside on New Year's Eve, as is German custom. We complained to the Front Desk Manager who tried to make the beds softer, but it wasn't a big improvement, so we were extremely tired after 5 nights of very little sleep.

For their room prices and 4 stars, Marriott can afford and should invest in better quality bedding. Pocket spring mattresses, feather pillows and cotton bedding are not expensive, they last much longer than foam and synthetic, go a long way to make guests comfortable, and make all the difference between sleepless nights and rest.

2. Breakfast: We didn't want to pay €20 p/p for 3 people for 5 days of American breakfast (or €17 for rolls and jam), so decided to have a la carte breakfast, which was cheaper and nicer too. Unfortunately these took inordinately long time to make, and we spent nearly an hour on breakfast each day. On New Year's Day the breakfast room was as busy as usual, but it seems there weren't enough staff, and after waiting for 3 omelettes a la carte for 45 mins we finally enquired where they got to, only to find that they weren't made, the staff then proceeded after another 10 mins to bring us something different from our order and completely tasteless. We didn't have another hour to wait for the order, so complained and asked for complementary breakfast that day and next (our last), which we did receive. Their excuse was that it was busy the night before, but there should be enough staff to cater for all guests.

Overall we were very tired and disappointed, had no rest for 5 nights and this had a big impact on our stay. We won't stay here again and I've already spent hours scouring TripAdvisor and Booking.com for next year's accommodation. It's a great shame, this could be a very good hotel, and it should be for its 4 star rating and brand name, if Marriott make the suggested improvements.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank g0team
Reviewed 1 January 2018

I stayed in this property on a visit to the Christmas Markets in December 2017. The hotel was selected because of its proximity to the markets and shopping areas of town and also the main railway station.

Check in was efficient and easy, and despite arriving a lunchtime, a room was already available for me to check in to. The room was on the same floor at the Executive Lounge, and when I entered the room there was a welcome card, and a small bag of christmas biscuits baked in the hotel, plus a large mineral water.

The room was standard Marriott fare - clean and comfortable. I had an outside view of the street outside the hotel, but because the street was closed as it led directly to the Christmas Market, there was almost no noise. The bathroom was large and spacious, well laid out, with fluffy newish towels. The bed was a king, large and comfortable. Power points were spread through the room, so charging multiple devices was not an issue.

I used wifi in the room, lounge and in public areas too - as a platinum rewards member enhanced complimentary hi speed wifi was available. The speed was good and I had no issues with streaming.

I used the Exec Lounge for evening drinks on my first evening in the hotel after getting back in from the shops. There was a solid range of canapees and beverages. I also used the lounge for breakfast after my first night in the hotel. Hot choices were limited - bacon and scrambled egg essentially, but they were good, And there was a good continental spread. I would have had breakfast in the lounge on my second morning too which was a Saturday morning, however the lounge does not appear to serve breakfast at the weekend. Nobody had advised me of this which was very frustrating - i made my way to the main restaurant, but there was a substantial wait time as no tables were free....as I had a friend to meet at a set time, and a train to catch, I had to skip breakfast which did not impress me.

The other downside was that despite my platinum Marriott Rewards number being in my booking and printed on my receipt at check out, no stay credit or points have yet posted to my account. I am told that crediting accounts is a manual process in Marriott hotels, which may explain why this is the 7th time in 2017 stays have failed to post. A problem I never have Hilton, it is now almost customary to go through the process of filling in a missing stay form on the Marriott website, and get no response to it before escalating to customer services. It should not be this difficult.

Overall, a good solid stay. The early check in was great and really helped me. Not telling me the lounge was not serving breakfast on a Saturday did not. And having to yet again chase rewards points and stay credits is a hassle. But I would recommend this property and would aim to stay again if I visit Leipzig again.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 December 2017

Probably the best hotel in Leipzig. Nice and big rooms. A breakfast is for kings (rich and tasty). The pool is very small but the fitness center is good for some exercise here and there. The sports bar (Champions) has felt about 100 screens and show permanently football and over sports event live. The food is very good and the waiters very attentive.
Speaking English is no problem in this hotel. The location is perfect (200 m from train station and at the beginning of downtown). The only donwside is the very expensive car park. I would park in the shopping mall which is in front of the hotel. The service and hotel details justifies the high price.
I always enjoy the great big bed with 4 really high quality pillows.

Room Tip: become member
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 December 2017

We traveled from Southeast Asia to Germany on a motorcycle during an 8 months trip with Leipzig being the final destination. It was clear to us that we would stay at the Marriott Hotel as this always came across our view when passing along the Goerdelering. It's location is simply perfect, right at the entrance to old town, just across the street from the Hauptbahnhof, with direct access to the Goerdelerring and the road towards Delitzsch, where I originally come from.

Saying this our arrival was fairly easy, well organized, warmly welcome and with the parking garage literally next door we had a safe and secure resting place for our two-wheeler already right away.

Being welcomed by name, luggage taken no matter how wet or dirty it was, we have been guided to our room. A fairly spacious and very bright daylight lid room with big, fluffy bed, a nice view right over the Hoefe am Bruehl, the shopping center roofs as well towards the Northwest of the city center its been nothing short of a really great view. The rooms themselves of course were very clean, slippers and bathrobes available on request and the shower immediately hot to wash off road dust.

One of the things I love about Leipzig is the accent of the people and the sound of the pronunciation. It's almost a little singing the people do whenever they talk. As well I noticed the reception staff to be well trained, several of them obviously from Leipzig, friendly and always a smile available for you.

The accomodies themselves were certainly nice, iinviting for a good relaxation and a fair nights sleep. Beds were really comfortable, not to soft, not too hard, pillows enough and blankets warm and cosy. Nothing to complain about the night.

A very nice thing of the hotel is the included Champions Bar on ground floor. A modern sports bar well decorated with photos, jerseys, sports items and huge screen TVs for public soccer watching. Friendly staff, great food, reasonable drink prices and no headache the next morning ;-)

Breakfast almost finds place in the conference center itself. A very nicely decorated restaurant, warm, comfy, plenty of choice for all meals and drinks, this was the perfect ending to the last night of our ride. Ready to get settled in Leipzig or around, we waved goodbye, thanked a lot and are certain that we will come back one day for a staycation. I can't do anything, but highly recommen the hotel, especially its staff and yes, yes, the breakfast! :-)

Thumbs up, highly recommended!

Room Tip: above 4F already views over neighboring roofs
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple