All reviews quiet courtyard clean hotel old town breakfast buffet receptionist city
Reviewed 11 September 2016

The hotel is located in the strategic area, about 15 minutes walk (with dragging big suitcase) to Neustadt train station, 10 minutes walk to the Old Town. The hotel is clean, has a big room, comfy bed and pillows. The problems for me that I stayed in the second floor, so had to carry my big suitcase through stairs, fortunately the staff was very helpful, even when I checked out, they helped me to carry it down and keep it in their office till I came back in the afternoon. So value for money.

Room Tip: ask for room in the ground level if possible
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 May 2016

I had a lucky find when taxi driver delivered me to the wrong hotel. I was surprised that they didn't have my reservation but within minutes we sorted it out that I was at the wrong location so I cancelled my other reservation and stayed on at the Hofgarten. These were the strengths, a reception staff that was fluent in English and really cared about the guests, they had a breakfast option for 9.90 Euros but I passed. Room was extremely clean, hotel attraction being built in 1824 and always used as a hotel. Although much of Dresden was destroyed in fire bombing of World War II, the hotel had been spared damage. I also like easy access to trams and also just a 10-minute walk in New Town to many restaurants. I was disappointed that the hotel did not have a laundry service but they kindly directly me to a laundromat where I learned how to operate washers and dryers with German instructions. Neighborhood was residential, lots of green grass and spring flowers. Although it was cold outdoors, the hotel was cozy with steam heat and plenty of hot water for showers. One minor complaint, hotel had wifi but guests were required to renew it every day or so by going to reception and they were issue a new pass. All-in-all, I was extremely pleased with this experience and if I ever return to Dresden I will stay at the Hofgarten 1824.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Larry W
Reviewed 13 September 2015

Great one or two day stopover for motorists. Not especially inspiring for travelers on foot. Clean and large bathroom. Large comfortable bed. Good wifi. Somewhat historic and somewhat old building. To me it seemed like a classy upscale workers' dorm from the old communist era. No TV in room without a special request to move one for a payment, into your room by hand. Very noisy street below my window, near train line and major road. A TV could have helped block out this noise. This hotel is clean and sunny and nice, but it in all probability is best for motorists who come by car. It is not really near shopping nor near restaurants by foot, unless you like to buy from train station markets and eat at Burger King, or at the most expensive restaurants in Dresden for the over 75 age crowd who want to be seen in the traditional inner Neustadt restaurant windows at night, near the riverbank. The location is in a small isolated not easy to find strip between downtown and trendy Neustadt youth district. It is not really the feel of Altstadt, and not really the feel of Neustadt. There is another motorists motel next door, which is more modern and also more expensive.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room overlooking the street
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 August 2015

Very nice and clean hotel. Lockers are in the room, which is really good. Rooms are big and cleand and there's a bathroom in the room.
I've stayed here twice and for the second time I was accomodated in a room with a really uncomfortable beds.
But overall, I would recommend this hotel

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zouzelka
Reviewed 1 July 2015 via mobile

That's a really nice little hotel in the Dresden Neustadt, close to the train-station from the airport. In this old townhouse, you can feel the past: back to the great times of german culture around the 1800s - many feet crossed the yard of the Hofgarden and the steps to the upper floors. Still the rooms are modern - not missing one thing.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends