See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 December 2016

Location was very convenient from the main Station, easy to find and within walking distance to the city center and river.

Hotel is small, familiar and cosy. Beds are very comfortable and we were so luck to get a room with balcony, very big balcony! :) Breakfast had all you need and at a good price.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with balcony ;)
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2016

Small hotel with nice sized rooms, great bathrooms. Spartan but spotless, and just two blocks from the train station on a quiet side street with grocery store around the corner. Parking on site is just 7 euros/day, and well worth it. Simple but filling breakfast in the morning. The location is very nice--avoids the usual crowding and rundown feel of some Gare neighborhoods. But you are just three blocks off the Rhine, and access to the autobahn and roads out of town and down the Rhine are very convenient. Internet worked great. for those connecting in and out of the train station, this is a very good option. Safety is a big thing here, and everything was secure. Elevator helpful for upper floors.

Room Tip: Higher is better
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2015

I stayed at the Hotel National for one night in October 2015. I searched for a budget accomodation close to the railway station. The room with a sink was clean. Also the shared toilet was clean. The staff have been welcoming on arrival. The walls are a bit thin so it could be a bit noisy and there has also been some noise from trains passing by. No big issue, but take ear-plugs if you are a light sleeper. Breakfast was excellent value for money.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank laendersammler
Reviewed 6 October 2015

Stayed here during my Koblenz trip for 2 nights. Very basic, clean, cozy room, very close to the Hauptbahnhof (6-7 minutes walk) which is a big plus. Price was reasonable for a $40 Euro/night for a room with no toilet/shower (there was a shower/toilet in the floor for shared use). Seems to have a great breakfast option for an extra fee although I opted-out. Only two complaints – 1. small, old TV needs to be replaced with flat-screen someday soon (although personally I don’t care about watching TV while on vacation, I would rather explore the city, but it is nice to have something to fall asleep to after returning to the hotel in the evening). 2. Internet/wi-fi was spotty in the room, almost no signal most of the time and it made it extremely difficult for me to research local favorites, places to go etc. as well as keep in touch with friends and family back home. This is a deal-breaker for me and will not stay if I were to return to Koblenz, despite the positives.

Room Tip: Make sure room has good wifi before signing up.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 July 2015

Well, it isn't luxury, but it also doesn't charge luxury prices. To make a trivial comment (by no means a complaint), the bathroom of our room was quite small, which would bother me if I had been paying big bucks, which I wasn't.

We wanted a nice safe place near the train station where we could relax. More precisely, we had a bit of a train trip post a late arrival in Frankfurt airport, and we didn't want to go too far on the first night, but to break our trip a bit earlier. So Koblenz was perfect, and this hotel, which was a extremely close to the train station, even more so.

It was clean, the service was good, centrally located. No complaints at all.

In one case they went considerably beyond value for money. The breakfast was excellent, not just for hte price, but compared to more expensive breakfasts that we have had elsewhere in German hotels (not to mention Canadian hotel breakfasts, which are usually quite nasty).

So we strongly recommend this hotel, perhaps not for a honeymoon, but for an ordinary trip, or indeed a bicycle trip as mentioned by another reviewer.

Otherwise, to comment on "what the area around the hotel is known for," there are certainly good Museums in Koblenz, shopping, dining out opportunities, much like any German city. Koblenz is best known as a wonderful place to travel along the Rhine, of course, but we didn't in fact do that.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple