“Alright but overrated ”

Bangkok Thai Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 2,680 Restaurants in Cologne
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

It is a nightmare with Thai food in Cologne as the best tasting places are 'take away' with no atmosphere and if you go for atmosphere, the food is not as good. Same case here.

For taste I usually go to Khun Mae (Kyffhäuser Str), which is my benchmark, but it's more of a 'take away' look&feel. This one is more for the atmosphere, where I would bring my parents. The food taste is OK, the quality of the ingredients is solid, they make an effort in presentation. I would probably go rather for the curries, as you can't do much wrong if you have mastered the basics of authentic Thai cuisine. The Pad Thai was disappointing, a bit simple in taste and soggy. The Carrot Papaya salad was good. My husbands curry was alright, but none of them was as good as in other places.

I don't understand where the hype and the high rating is coming from, maybe from the atmosphere and not being packed with tourists.

Food taste: 6/10
Quality of ingredients: 7/10
Presentation: 8/10
Service: 7/10
Atmosphere: 7/10

Reviewed 15 June 2018

We stopped in shortly after doing our laundry, so we were in the general neighborhood - in any event, it's easy to access by Cologne's excellent tram system. We were fortunate to dine as walk ins at 5 PM; had to promise to leave before 7 PM as the restaurant was fully booked at that point (Late diners - consider yourselves warned!). No problem for us. Excellent Thai food, friendly and efficient service, as one would expect in a Thai restaurant. English spoken. Highly recommended - they deserve their TA rating.

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

We were a group of 15 and well catered for. Staff were friendly. After a couple of misunderstanding with orders the food arrived. For me soup followed by a hot chicken dish. Both very tasty.
Recommend.

Reviewed 8 June 2018

This Thai restaurant has very good food. It is a little bit out of city center but it is worth a walk to eat there.

Reviewed 7 May 2018

We decided to have dinner here on our last evening in Cologne (based on the many raving reviews here). My wife is Asian and we love Asian food (also Thai food). Our expectations were not really met. We had Thai food in many places (also in our home country) and the quality/freshness was less good here in Cologne. The green curry was too oily and runny, the pork sate too chewy and the Pad Thay with prawns was okay but not spectacular either (I was missing the nice “crunch” and the prawns were very big but not very fresh. In our opinion, this restaurant is slightly above average but not good ernough to return to.
> Atmosphere: 8/10
> Location: 7/10 (take a taxi, parking is a nightmare here)
> Service: 9/10 (very friendly waitresses)
> Food: 6/10