All reviews family room central station walking distance per day city centre apartment bedroom dom cathedral euros
Reviewed 6 June 2017

No Air Conditioning! I'll admit, we must have over looked this detail when booking. I'm not sure how the hotel is associated with the apartments across the street but that's where we we were given a room. The apartment was clean - and somewhat furnished. The apartments unique location places each of the 2 bedrooms on busy streets. Because it was warm outside when we stayed there the only option for "cooling" the rooms was to open the windows. With the windows open the street / pedestrian traffic was magnified and kept us (family of 4) up most of the night.

Here's the part that really disappointed us: when checking in we expressed some hesitation with no air conditioning. We were sort of "trapped" having booked/ prepaid last minute unaware of the air conditioning situation. The individual checking us in gave us a very blunt "no the room doesn't have a/c." He offered no other assistance and seemed only concerned with collecting payment.

In the middle of the night, with the noise and heat unbearable, we searched for fans in the unit. Nothing. I inquired the next morning on checkout and was told they would have provided them, had we asked. Again, my fault for not calling the front desk at 1 am. I thought my unease with no a/c was apparent when checking in - this would have been a perfect opportunity for the hotel to deliver some fans to the unit. Instead, at check out, I was told that the reason the fans aren't in the room ordinarily is because they are occasionally stolen.

Be mindful of the location where this hotel is booking you. It seems they are using apartments in adjacent buildings for overflow / overbooking. If you're ok with hot rooms, with noisy street traffic then you'll be right at home here.

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel, not the adjacent apartments
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank oznog94
Reviewed 9 May 2017

The hotel is a gem and a great value, conveniently located near the main train station, the cathedral, museums, the river Rhine and the night life street.
My room was spacious, with a double bed, side desk, comfy chair and small closet.
There was a safe in the closet.
The bathroom was typically German -- small but functional.
The hotel has a coffee maker in the room, offers a free bottle of water, and fresh fruit.
Breakfast, though extra, was worth the cost.
The front desk staff was very helpful. They provided a city map and several suggestions for parking, restaurants, etc.
The desk is not staffed from 11 pm to about 7 am so I had to check out the night before my early morning departure.
There are about eight steps from the lobby to the elevator, so it is probably not a good choice for people with walking disabilities.
My trip was for business and I found the in-room desk adequate, and the free wifi was wonderful. Parking is not available at the hotel. Your can park on the street from 11 pm to sometime early morning (8 am?) but that didn't work for me so I parked in nearby parking garages. Cost was from 15 - 20 Euros per 24 hours.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank kglade
Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

The hotel is located very central next to Dom and Neumarkt. It offers nice, clean and quiet rooms. The shower is a little weak, as the water pressure was low in the 6th floor. The staff is very friendly. Check-out time is early at 11 a.m. Once you look for a nice buisiness hotel, this is a perfect price-, value match!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2017

Hotel well located near the cathedral. Nice room and well cleaned, yet cold, even with the heating at most the room did not heat up. Bathroom a little old fashioned, much water noise always falling off the toilet.

Stayed: April 2017
SR_Robinson_1, Manager at Dom Hotel Am Roemerbrunnen, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2017

Dear Karula,

thank your for staying at Dom Hotel Am Römerbrunnen, Cologne.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you were satisfied with your room. We are also happy to read that the central location, in the core of Cologne, only a few minutes walking distance to the Cathedral, was beneficial to your stay.

However, we are sorry to read that the heating in the guestroom did not meet your expectations. We take your concern very seriously and have checked the heating system in detail but the technician found it working properly.

Please consider that due to the individual shape of our traditional building, some rooms vary in size and layout. All rooms have been renovated recently and correspond to the German three-star hotel standard.

We would be delighted to welcome you again in Cologne and are at your disposal for any advice regarding the choice of the room that best meets your needs and expectations.

Warm regards from Cologne,
on behalf of the entire team of Dom Hotel Am Römerbrunnen,
S.R. Robinson
-Manager-

Reviewed 27 November 2016 via mobile

Excellent spot close to the Dom and the Christmas markets. Our studio room was compact but well fitted out and it was kept spotlessly clean. The staff are really friendly and helpful, and serve a decent buffet breakfast.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family