See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

I was to this hotel for a week. The room is very big and really clean and quiet. Just the street where the hotel is does not look the best but if you are there to sleep only you would not consider that. I would return to the hotel

Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2015

The room was clean and quiet. It had a small kitchenette with 2 stove top burners and a fridge. The utensils are basic (spatula, spoons etc...) so don't plan anything too fancy.

The room I first checked into smelled quite strongly of Indian food. The staff quickly moved me to another room.

The street out front is a bit dirty and there is a Sex shop a few doors down - so not the nicest of locations - but you are still in the midst of downtown Aachen nonetheless.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business
Josef Z, Inhaber at City Appartements Regence, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2015

Dear Guest,

thank you very much that you have taken the time to evaluate our City Apartments Regence in Aachen on Booking.com.
Other travelers are based on votes and obtained by your evaluation a valuable impression. Many Thanks! It also helps us to improve our service to you always.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we could offer you through downtown location, a quick way into the City. Accordingly, it may be that the noise and surrounding do not always correspond to each guest.
Normally the apartments are handed over to our guests only in a clean state. Thank you for your reference. We will verify the matter.

We hope to welcome you again during your next stay in Aachen.

With best regards from Aachen,
Josef Zartenaer
City Apartments Regence

Reviewed 28 June 2015

Booked with booking.com, was pleased with the rate. As mentioned by others, apartment is essentially a hotel room with small kitchenette. Have no complaints about the facilities, everything we wanted for our weekend stay was there. Just some space to put breakfast and lunch together. Room was maybe a bit old, but absolutely spotless. Our room was on the top floor at the back (as requested) and all that could be heard with the window open was the birds. Located very close to the centre and with its own car park, which was easy to get in and out of.

In short, not the lap of luxury but a clean and comfortable place for a few nights.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2014

These units are operated as an annex to the Best Western Hotel Regence about a block and a half away. This arrangement has worked well for me before, but in this case I was disappointed. My single "apartment" was the size of a small hotel room; a complete kitchen of sorts was cleverly built into a large cabinet along one wall, but to accommodate it the bed was set right up against the windows, and the only other furnishing of note was a workable hotel room desk. The room's decoration showed some pleasant touches, but overall the impression was of undistinguished fixtures and cramped space.

Breakfast back in the Hotel Regence each morning was a bright spot, as the buffet was varied and the room large and bright.

The City Appartements Regence sits in a somewhat seedy block, and in the evening it was noisy at times (at least for my room which faced the street). Walking just a few blocks down Alexanderstrasse however you reach a pedestrian street that connects into the car-free old center of the city, so you do feel centrally located. It's a convenient walk through the center to the university, and not much longer to and from the train station.

Room Tip: There may be some larger, quieter rooms facing the back.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bob4er
Reviewed 15 September 2014

I stayed here for 7 days in September 2014. Sightseeing Aachen was not my primary purpose for staying here, but rather the “Haus aus Licht” festival in the Aachen Cathedral (locally known as “der Dom”). It offered a program from 11 am to 9 pm each day, thereby leaving not much room for the usual tourist ways of passing time. The apartment was thus my temporary home base, conveniently located at a 10 minutes walk from the focus of my attention, viz. the Aachen Dom.
If you have other plans, a nearly direct neighbour is the central bus station (Bushof) where virtually all buses stop. It provides for a nice stepping stone to get around. The main train station can be reached by foot within 20 minutes.

Checking-in: This is done at the reception desk of the adjacent Best Western hotel (Peterstrasse 71), while the apartments are located around the corner (Alexanderstrasse 89), which is no big deal as the reception staff gives you a very clear diagram how to drive/walk to get there. I booked neither garage nor breakfast, so I can't comment on prices and quality. I had Room 14 on the 1st floor, but there is an elevator in case you get an apartment on a higher level. Very positively surprising was the efficiency and helpful attitude of the reception desk staff, offering assistance in anything you asked, even if a bit outside the standard service repertoire. That is precisely what you need, being in a strange place, not knowing your way around, and unaware of local facilities and offerings.

Kitchen: I'm a self-catering traveller by choice. My first action always is to inspect the kitchen. At first sight, is is very smallish. However, no reason to complain as it was advertised as a “kitchenette”, something that reminds me of my years as a university student. Yet it contains everything I needed, after all. The small space needs some time to get used to, but you can move some things to a different place where it can be as useful as in the kitchen, e.g. the water cooker and the “on the house” stock of tea/coffee (replenished each day). Nevertheless, it is still difficult to slice your bread or to cut vegetables, something to bear in mind while in the supermarket. The 2-core electric stove had some problems with one of the switches, but I found a workaround and was able to cope.
On the positive side: While there was no dishwasher (OK, as none was advertised), the daily cleaning staff washed my dirty dishes as a matter of course.

Bathroom: Also a bit smallish, yet very efficient in using the limited space available. Shower works well and delivers water of the correct temperature within a few seconds. I was surprised how fast the damp disappeared without hearing any ventilators working.
A single traveller like me has ample place for whatever an average person needs to wash and shave, but I assume a couple will have some problems when dividing the space on the shelves between them.

Laundry: The hotel offers a so-called Laundry Service, where you pack your dirty things in a bag, drop it at the reception desk (before 9, only working days), and get it washed and dried back the same evening. There is a price tag of 2 to 5 Euro a piece, however. Having been under-way for 10 days already when arriving in Aachen and thus carrying a sizeable backlog, this was not the solution for me (being a proverbial penny-pinching Dutchman). Luckily, as advertised on their website, there is also a freely available washing machine and tumble-drier on the ground floor, including soap and such stuff, coming to my rescue. It takes a bit of time to study the available machinery, but no rocket science is involved and it all proves mostly self-explanatory in the end.

Closing remarks: I was under-way for a trip lasting several weeks in a row. The previous location I had rented was a sizeable town house, owners were on holiday, so lots of space all for myself. Hence it took some time adjusting to the confines of a rented apartment. In other words, I may be a little prejudiced about the size of the room, described by previous reviewers as “spacious”. On the other hand, when compared with the average hotel room, usually crowded with all sorts of furniture and with little floor space left to move around, this apartment is indeed spacious. As was the work-desk, my centre of the world, indeed large enough to allow serious work. Anyway, I got used to it after a few days.
All in all, I have some minor but no real complaints about the room, thus ending with a positive feeling overall. I see no reason to look elsewhere when staying the next time in Aachen, although I may make an attempt to find an apartment with a larger countertop in the kitchen.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo