“An interesting visit.”
Review of Couven Museum

Couven Museum
Ranked #14 of 66 things to do in Aachen
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

While I sat having lunch at the postwagen opposite, I decided to take a look inside. The museum boasted an example of decor from 18th and 19th Century which sounded interesting.
The staff were welcoming and took my shopping bag. The entrance fee was €6. I was given a guide in English. I was free to roam and move through the house. Each room had translations in German, Dutch, French and English. The smaller item displays were in German only.

The rooms were very well dressed and there was a lot to see. My favourite rooms were the pharmacy, Kitchen and tiled room in the basement.

There was a lovely covered courtyard and tea, coffee making facilities and a toilet.

It was overall a good experience and a lovely find. The only downside is that the smaller items in cases were in German only. There were a lot of stairs but I wasn't aware of a lift so this would make accessibility for all difficult.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

f you would like to know how a wealthy family lived in the time of the Biedermeier in Aachen, you should visit this house. At the time of its formation, it was home to the in the basement still avaiable pharmacy of the Monheim family, which there produced chocolate under the brand name Trumpf from the middle of the 19th century on.

On the first floor is a very nice salon, which you can rent for parties. There are sometimes candlelight concerts.

Friends of Japanese sword art find a collection of Katana-stitches on the first floor.

Reviewed 29 May 2017

Lots of stuff about what a house would have looked like in 1800s. Cool tiles, kitchen good and wall paintings and hangings good. Security guards a bit over the top.

Reviewed 17 January 2017

This small museum is being advertised as depicting the lifestyle of ancient aachener bourgeoisie. However, when we visited, we found an amalgam of interior decoration and pictures, but also a collection of stones, stuffed animals and a video talking about Jurassic Park?Quirky to say the least.

Reviewed 16 December 2016 via mobile

I work in Heritage and so I really do think quite long and hard before leaving a negative review or low score for a fellow Heritage attraction, as I know how demoralising it can be. That said, in the interests of honesty I would really struggle to give this Museum more than two stars after my visit there.

This house / museum is desperately in need of a rethink or overhaul.

The place as it's currently displayed, (December 2016), is utterly unenaging and uninspiring.

Essentially there are three floors of partly funished rooms that, (for some completely inexplicable reason), when we visited, contained display cases in the centre of most of the rooms of natural history collections.

There seemed to be no explanation or reason for these items to be there, and they were in no way connected to the contents of the rooms.

Additionally, there is absolutely nowhere to sit in any of the rooms, so even if the rooms were not cluttered with cases containing irrelevant displays, you couldn't sit down to appreciate or enjoy them.

Despite the sheer drudgery the first two floors, I persevered and climbed up to the top floor suite of rooms, and it was the top floor that has added a star to what would otherwise have been a one star review.

The top floor was less cluttered with random display cases full of fossils and instead seemed to be focus on a story/theme per room.

On the whole though I'd be hard pressed to recommend a visit to this place, even more so when the attendant at the entrance refused point blank to sell my 70+ year old visiting companions concessions tickets. No other place we visited refused to do so and no explanation was given as to why she would not do so.

Seriously, if you are in Aachen for a limited time, I really wouldn't bother visiting this museum and would instead just spend time wandering around soaking up the city atmosphere or visiting somewhere like the Dom or the Treasury.