“Comforting Austrian food”

Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Sachsenhausen-Nord
Reviewed 9 March 2018

One of the best dishes we ate during our trip was at Edelweiss, a restaurant recommended to us by a local barista. It was some sort of meat in a mushroom sauce - it was indulgent but not overwhelming, and perfect comfort food for a freezing day. Make sure you get a reservation - we walked in without one, and they kindly were able to make space for us, but they had to put a time limit on us so they could sit their next reservation.

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

Really recommend this place, the food was amazing, the best we’ve tried. Lovely ambience and friendly staff! Highly recommended!

Reviewed 3 February 2018

Could not have asked for better. This is a highly recommended little place. I phoned to make bookings at a few TripAdvisor recommended spots for Frankfurt and as it was very busy at this time, reservations were scarce and phone calls were brusquely answered/declined at some of the so-called top then establishments. I Edelweiss phoned on a Tuesday asking for a booking for 8 either than night or the following. In perfect English, to my relief, after much consultation they said they could not take us the next day, but had a gap that night, but only at their upstairs seating around bar-height tables. Needless to say I grabbed this and intended to march our merry crew into Sahenhausen that night. We were delayed by late business appointments and fearing the loss of our table we phoned to inform them that we'd be a little late. This was no problem and on arrival we were delighted to see they'd made a special effort to seat us downstairs in the heart of their charming little pub/restaurant and were very chilled about our late arrival.
Being more than peckish we piled into their wonderfully appetising menu; selections being the Schnitzel (naturally) the veal, the wild boar goulash stew, Austrain version of chicken? Sausages and one or two others. We had eight clean plates and many thumbs up's on a superb delivery of nicely assisted choices.
With full bellies no one was slightly interested in desert. However on listening to the description we reluctantly decided to share a few plates of their "famous" pancake/cherry desert. Believe me the reluctance to have a desert vanished at the first shared spoonful. This is indeed a house specialty as we've never had anything close anywhere else in our two weeks in Frankfurt.

Our server was such a pleasant young man. On serving us in the beginning he looked as surprisied we were when we could not understand a word of German. "Ja, Englisch?" he asked and from then on conversed in the most excellent English with superb recommendations for which we were most grateful.

Do visit here. Its easy from the Frankfurt South S Bahn station. Simply go up the road, turn right and walk a few paces til you reach edelweiss.

Oh, and importantly for business travelers, they accept most credit cards.

Reviewed 1 February 2018 via mobile

One of the best goulash soup in the city.
Service is great,the main dishes are generous and huge,the apple strudel with Worm vanillas heavenly.
Prices are reasonable,in down town.

Reviewed 8 December 2017 via mobile

I love their Kaiserscharnn but when I went last evening, I ordered a salad and Cordon Bleu. The portion was so huge, I couldn't go on to dessert at all. That goes with my dinner companions, who ordered veal and Schnitzel.

Reservations must be made! We were there on a Thursday evening and it was crowded!