“Cosy and great food”

Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Sachsenhausen-Nord
Reviewed 26 March 2017

I've been here a few times and always found the atmosphere and the food amazing. It is quite expensive but the portions are large and everything about this place is friendly.

Reviewed 15 February 2017

Our first time dining here for dinner one night, and more than happy to come back.

It's a traditional Germanic pine walled styled place with similar fare.

Staff were great, friendly and the service was good with all the staff being engaging and happy to talk us through any gaps left by the language difference, the menu in English helped as well.

Food was good, hearty rather than refined, but tasty and served simply.

Not somewhere to go if you want to impress your dining partner, more like an old family favourite where you can relax in familiar surroundings, even if you have never been before.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

Second time I came to this place and it won't be my last. Service was good (specially if you get the professional waiter not the trainee), friendly atmosphere and children friendly. In summer we can sit outside on the terrace or pavement. They have regularly special offers depend on the season. Menu is written in authentic Austrian accent :) Food came fast and they are delicious. Schnitzel is very yummi. Worth to come!

Reviewed 5 August 2016 via mobile

Second evening staying with friends in Frankfurt and Edelweiss is a stones throw from their apartment. Traditional Austrian fare. Very warm welcome.

Starter was a chanterelle soup with mixed fresh herbs. The soup was gorgeous but fantastically complemented by the chopped fresh herbs. The release of flavours when you bit into the herbs worked superbly with the soup.
I opted for the ladies size veal schnitzel. Effectively it's a one slice of perfectly done schnitzel - tenderised veal in crispy - but not oily breadcrumb. Accompanying this were fried potatoes which I was told were prepared from uncooked potatoes rather than boiling them ahead of frying. Nice crust but the insides were just cooked so you can still bite into them. The consistency of these were great - just a lot of them on the plate. Hence to finish off the schnitzel you sacrifice some of the potatoes. The plate came with a small dipping dish of lingonberry sauce - sweet with an ever so slightly tart twang to them.
Desserts were roasted peaches with caramel and ice cream and whipped cream. The peaches were great. The star was the Kaiserschmarrn. I loved it and could quite happily have polished it off if we weren't sharing.

Reviewed 10 April 2016 via mobile

Wanting something different than the schnitzel that I've enjoyed in a couple other traditional restaurants, I decided on Edelweiss. It didn't disappoint. I did see the traditional schnitzel, and it looked great. I had the "Hunters" selection which included a couple "meatballs" (seasoned ground pork), some streaky bacon on a layer of spätzle with mushrooms and a cream sauce. It was delicious and the portion was ample for me. A local beer went well to wash it down. They accommodated my not speaking German and were friendly enough. It it a small place so I could see tables hard to get at the height of the dinner hour.
I recommend Edelweiss.