See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

As the title suggests this was a fairly basic hotel, however the rooms were clean. Not the type of hotel I could see myself logging around in all day, however to shower and sleep it was ideal. The staff were friendly and helpful and the cleaner works her socks off.
I loved the location of this hotel. It is across the river from the financial area but by goodness the bars and restaurants on your doorstep were to die for. I would go back in the future.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2017

1- nasty smell hits you immediately in the shabby lobby, vinegar, eggs? Foul!
2- rooms are not bad and they are clean, bed comfortable but everything is done on the cheap here, and it shows.....the carpet was new, expect for one square by the bathroom, which was disgusting.
3- bathroom was awful, clean we think, but so shabbily done, wonky tiling and pipes....
4- don't have breakfast here, the downstairs dining room is the most depressing room we've ever been in, and it didn't smell good either (more drainlike this time, I am not joking! Breakfast consisted of the usual items bought from the cheapest supermarket, not good. There is a very nice Russian man who runs around trying everything he can to please you, he was trying so hard to help.
The Chinese men at reception are friendly. We were in Frankfurt during Messe when all hotel double, triple their rates (it's legal!) therefore this wasn't cheap at all, I regretted not having spent more time reading the (bad) reviews, or I would have tried to find another hotel.
We didn't stay for breakfast the second time (No thank you!) since there was no one at reception we just left the keys. I emailed later to request my money back but was told our breakfast had been prepared (opening packets of plastic cheese and ham?) and they had waited for us, so they couldn't refund the €14 (what a rip off!)
So, No, we weren't happy at all and would never stay there again...oh and I forget the noise, location is great, so central, but this is where people drink on weekends and it gets pretty crazy, don't expect the noise to stop before 3, 4 in the morning, on the plus side, you are given a pair of earplugs per guest when you check in!!!!Wifi not good either.
I rest my case.......

Room Tip: not good above the bar, not good overlooking the street, can't think where would be better....
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2017

Of all the hotels I have stayed in during 27 years of travelling this is the single worst place ever.
I was staying in room 201 which was situated on top of a bar playing extremly loud music until 5AM. There was no one at the reception, which was led by Chinese not really speaking English. When phoning them at night they shuth the phone off.

The rooms are molded and filled with bugs and filth. (see peitures).

Next day I was moved to another room with so many bugs that the floor looked alive.

My recomendation is find another hotel, no matter how little money you spend here it is way too much.

Room Tip: do not stay
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 April 2016

I have stayed at the Ritter three times now over seven years. It is in a fantastic location and unbelievably cheap. It is old and simple but clean and welcoming. Sure it can be noisy on a Saturday night but i had no trouble sleeping with the double glazed windows shut. I stayed four nights and one evening at about 7 pm there was a knock on the door and the duty manager apologised that there would be no breakfast in the morning although I had already prepaid. He put his hand in his pocket and solemnly counted out six euros refund. Apparently the night manager (who also gets the breakfast in the morning) wasn't available that night. I was also asked to make sure that the outside door was locked. The hotel was very quiet and I think I might well be the only person in the building that night - no staff and maybe me the only guest What a hoot!
True, the wifi was poor on the third floor but good lower down. Breakfast was good and varied (when available!). Sheets and towels were clean, the water was always hot and the heating system was two large radiators whcih you could set yourself.
I am going again!

Room Tip: Three floors, no lift. Better wifi lower down.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 January 2016 via mobile

Do not stay here. Unfriendly staff (everyone I met), when I came the throw bed sheets downs the stairs (a picture fall of the wall because if that) and almost hit me. The room smells like a mix from cigarette & cheap deodorant, I had an whatever bug (in January) in my bathroom. I slept on a towel, the floor is so dirty, you can not walk without shoes. That is my first review on tripadvsior, because I have to warn you.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled on business