“Nice try”

Cuisines: Diner, French, German
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Charlottenburg
Description: Restaurant Diekmann is located a few minutes walk from the big shopping street Kurfurstendamm. Therefore it is right in the center of West Berlin although it is hidden in a small and quiet street. Once you have discovered what awaits you behind the ivy-covered entrance, you will be unable to resist its charm. The atmosphere inside is distinctly influenced by furniture from 1870; giving a hint of the simplicity of the general store it used to be before the Diekmann became a restaurant – step by step. It all began in 1982 when the founder started to sell plain lentils and rice. Quickly it became a bistro and then it first opened as a restaurant in 1985. Gourmets and connoisseurs appreciate the classy but privat atmosphere and details like the menu written by hand that gives the Diekmann its special touch. The German and French cuisine serves as the basis, special focus is given to regional products. The oysters are coming straight away from Bretagne, France, where we know the oystercatcher himself. Another focus is given to wines. There are vineyards on the menu which are well known but also some smaller ones, to whom we have enjoyed a good relationship for many years. Since 30 years, Patrice Voisin is the restaurant manager and some kind of soul of the house.
Reviewed 6 September 2017

We chose this restaurant as it was located close by and looked nice with good menu. As we arrived for a dinner, restaurant was quite full with one large group and several business dinners going on. Waiter warned us that service might take, but it was ok for us and at the end it was quite fast. Location is an old colonial ware store.
We ordered entrecôte “Café de Paris” with gratinated potatoes and Coq au Vin in white wine sauce with chickpeas and mediterranean vegetables. Both were good, but not mind blowing, steak failed in the other being slightly over cooked and vegetables (mainly beetroot) in Coq au vin. Looking the pictures Coq au Vin is bit boring or dull looking. Waiter apologised that bread is being cooked, that's why taking time, but when at table it was cold, so it didn't come from oven. Just to make clear, bread was fresh and good, served with olives. Looking risotto, what neighbour table was having, I think that is the specialty that you should take in this restaurant.
As a dessert we had white chocolate mousse with sorbet. That was excellent.
Staff was nice, but somehow felt that they were lost, maybe exhausted after having almost full house.
Wine list is excellent and waiters knew well their wines.
Nice restaurant, I would recommend, if your accommodation is at area.

2  Thank mWrite

Reviewed 9 August 2017

A delicious, contemporary take on German food that was delicious. We asked the waiter to pair some wines with the mean, all German, and they were excellent.

1  Thank soulart99
Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

One of very few regrets in my choice of restaurants, Dieckmann has been a solid disappointment.

The interior is lovely. We got a table for three without a reservation, and happily ordered salad for starters and meat dishes for mains. The problems started once the starters were eaten. We had no bread or anything left to bridge the waiting time for the mains and the service did not notice it nor did they comment in any way that we waited about one hour before we received the mains. Meanwhile we ordered two bottles of whine, so there was enough interaction to notice the obvious: three hungry guys, no food.

The restaurant was not busy at that time, the only bigger group had already finished their dinner. When the meat dish arrived - entrecôte cafe de Paris - which two of us had ordered, I could not get myself to eat the meat, which was clearly too old to be served. I very rarely complain about food being served but this time I had to, and was brought a different meat dish after a short wait. No apologies nor comments from the staff. The second dish was edible but nothing to write home about. The sides were very nice though.

Not sure what problems they had besides serving meat that wasn't ok anymore and taking an hour to serve us even though there was little business. I don't care, I won't go there again. There are 1000s of great options in Berlin, this was a very unlucky choice.

And for Berlin standards, this isn't cheap either.

1  Thank Boris K
Reviewed 9 June 2017

This is a small restaurant we found a few years ago on a short break in Berlin. We tried to get in on another short break a year ago, but it was fully booked. So this time we booked by email two months in advance!

The food is really international and the setting very much a German one. I think the restaurant was once a chemist's shop as there are old-fashioned racks of wooden drawers which are a spectacular backdrop. This time we had a fish soup..and I am something of a specialist in fish soups. The best I have ever had is in a Marbella restaurant called El Cortijo and never found anything to come close until this Berlin location. Their fish soup came perilously close to taking the crown...
For the main course we had a traditional French dish, coq au vin, which was utterly delicious - I could have eaten it twice. Compliment it with a bottle of the Leitz Weingut Magic Mountain Reisling....perfect.
The bill for the two of us for two courses with wine and water was €112, not cheap, but always worth it if the quality is this high.

1  Thank Snookoafc1
Reviewed 29 May 2017

Enjoyed a very nice dinner on a warm spring evening on which I had the chance to sit outside in front of the restaurant.
The staff was very friendly supportive. They acted always friendly, effective and very professional.
The food was prepared to perfection and served to please the eye, too. All in all a feast for the senses. Also the plates served to the tables around looked delicious and seemed to satisfy the customers expectations.
The wine menu offered a nice variety of excellent wines from Germany, France and Italy.
I enjoyed a glass of rosé, which was tasteful and serve at perfect temperature.
Only the coffee was a bit too strong to my taste.
The price level is not cheap but fair considering the quality and the location in the middle of Berlin.

1  Thank XO_621